Webapps support - pin webapps/websites to app grid

As we all know Sailfish OS needs more apps. But several service are also running as a website. So what about a browser feature to install websites/webapps so that are pinned to the app grid and also use such features like caching, notifications etc.?
(Maybe the browser itself needs more updates and amore actual engine itself for supporting that…)

6 Likes

It’s already possible to pin websites to app grid. You can do it by long pressing on website added to favourite. From context menu choose “Add to app grid”.
Jolla is working on next web engine update. This time to gecko 60.

3 Likes

Oh, thanx, I didn’t know that.
But in the end this is still just pinning a bookmark to app grid that just opens the browser.

Yes, but it was part of your question.

Sure. I just wanted to state (especially for other readers) that just pinning the link to app grid isn’t the same like installing a Webapp.

Actually it is, but of course it is nicer if the webapp does work…

1 Like

I didn’t use this feature until now, but every time I press a pined website in the app grid i get asked if I want to open the Link in the Browser, Piepmatz or Fernschreiber. Is that intended or a bug? IMHO that’s one click to much…

EDIT: Sorry if this thread is not the right place. If it’s a Bug I’m happy to make a bug report.

Hello
I haven’t Piepmatz nor Fernschreiber installed.
When i click on a pined website, it opens the website directly.
Maybe you can install ‘Mimer’ and check the default apps used to open files.

Mimer probably edits ~/.config/mimeapps.list and ~/.local/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache. Removing harbour-piepmatz-open-url.desktop and Fernscheibers desktop file from http(s)-handler lines should do the trick.

More about mime types XDG MIME Applications - ArchWiki

Thanks for the Hint. But I would consider that as a kind of Bug, as the “WebApps” on the Grid should start the Browser in any case, do you think different?

Fernschreiber has an option in the app settings which can be deactivated to get rid of this but yes I think Websites pinned to the Grid should always open in the browser so it does not make too much sense to open them elsewhere. Only question would be what should happen if there are several browser installed on the system. Maybe a feature like “remember my decission” (and being able to forget it again using the settings) would be great?

1 Like