'problem with network' requires reboot for next call

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): very, very often
BUILD ID: 3.3.0.16 Rokua
HARDWARE (Jolla1, Tablet, XA2,…): JP-C
UI LANGUAGE: EN, DE
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): YES

DESCRIPTION:

After an in- or outgoing phone call using a Telekom SIM in slot 1 or 2 JP-C immediatly wants to reboot to solve ‘network problem’. Calling via that SIM is no loger possible.

PRECONDITIONS:

• developer mode and updates not activated
  • autoselect network
  • network preference 4G if availiable
  • network condition (CSD tool): Vodafone 2G (41), Telekom 4G (52)
  • other SIM slot filled with Vodafone SIM
  • mobile networking active (LTE)

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. make/take a phone call via Telekom SIM
  2. watch display
  3. try to make/take next phone call via Telekom SIM

EXPECTED RESULT:

no message, calling possible

ACTUAL RESULT:

error message, calling via Telekom SIM no longer possible (until reboot)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

• logs/pictures not availiable
  • after call network is sometimes displayed as 2G for some seconds
  • tested same Telekom SIM in JP-1 using previous Sailfish version 3...20 - no problems
  • yes, Telekom prepares her 5G network in Germany, what apparently reduces 3G availiability somewhere and influences 4G avaliability sometimes, but Vodafone does the same and the ‘problem with network’ started with installing Rokua on JP-C

pls feel free to advise for setup and testing to gain logs for help

7 Likes

I have a identical problem with Lycamobile network in Poland on XA2. It was working fine for 2 days after brand-new install of Sailfish 3.3.0.16 and now every call requires restart.

Identical problem here on a XA2 (single SIM) on the O2 (Telefonica) network in Germany. Developer mode is activated.

Additional oberservation:
After a reboot, making a call actually works, but for the first call after the reboot the phone app does not show that a connection was made but reports a network error as before of the reboot. Yet the call is connected.

I also have this notification on my XA2 quite often. I notice sometimes troubles with calls but I don’t need to reboot for that reason. At least I don’t remember that now.

I created a “night mode” in Situation app which among other things also switch to 2G which might help to reinitialise modem.

Does “Flight mode and back” workaround helps at least partially?

I also have this problem on my jolla-1 after rouka install.
Before I could do as the above to just reboot the device.

Now that stopped working to as a workaround.

so know It shows i got full 4g-connection but cant make a call or get sms messages on the phone anymore.

So its an heads upp that the last firmware is not super stable.

With 4.0.1.24 Kvarken this problem ist still not solved. Probaly its a result shifting networks down to 2G for a phone call due to the missing VoLTE support. At some locations I had the phone requested restarts soon after every outgoing call or with latest version restarts itself.
Sometimes it also restarts unexpected. I found my JP-C dead waiting the SIM-pin enterd …

Starting with JP-1 wich ist still active but no longer supported, later snatched a JP-C for daily use it was a long and often painfull path. Together with other issues concerning the bare useability as telephone (not talking about smart in smartphone) it looks more and more like broken behind usage instead of an forward develeopment. - Finally I bought an actual 5G phone now and flashed an more or less de-googled os.

So, thank You for the fish and farewell.

Old topic, acutal problem: just today I faced this problem exactly as descripted above on Sony Xperia X II with Verla 4.2.0.21.

Can confirm that this bug is still unfixed on Xperia 10 II with 4.3.0.1.2 in germany on e-plus network. Had a lot of calls in the last days, where I had to tell the caller that my alternative phone is broken and I had to reboot first…

Sorry to hear that still 1 major and 3 minor versions later.
(My de-googled Pixel works fine and received last Android security update today.)

I had this problem. All that helped me was to change my ISP

My ‘Sony Xperia 10 II - Dual SIM’ (later referred only as ‘Sony’) running 4.3.0.12 Suomenlinna also suffers from this issue from time to time. Both SIM slots are occupied by cards from Finnish operator DNA.

Yesterday my significant other tried to call me once and later sent a single SMS (both to the number of SIM 1) but my phone gave no indications of those. According to my SO the phone was ringing normally and I just did not pick it up. Before and after the failed call I was intermittently using the phone to browse the net and internet connectivity via 4G was working without issues all the time.

Later that night –as I became aware of the issue– I tried to place a test call and saw that dreaded ‘problem with network’ message. Going to to airplane mode and back does not help, at the moment rebooting is the only remedy I know.

Now, tonight I’ve been trying to reproduce this issue. I’m using my original Jolla Phone with prepaid SIM from another finnish operator Elisa to place the calls with different mobile network settings (Prefer 4G, Prefer 3G, 2G only).

Sony has both SIMs active:

SIM Network mode Used for mobile data
1 Prefer 4G true
2 Prefer 3G false

And if you are wondering, the reasons for SIM2 being set to ‘Prefer 3G’ are

• it is only used to place / receive calls, no data
  • if set to ‘Prefer 4G’ it somehow causes issues with SIM1; after reboot SIM1 is not being able to connect mobile network at all and requiring toggling ‘airplane mode’ on and off several times before connection is being made

So far the closest I’ve got was when I made the first ‘2G Only’ call with the Jolla Phone to Sony’s SIM 1: I could hear the line ringing but Sony showed no signs whatsoever. I immediately retried with ‘2G only’ active and Sony started ringing.

I haven’t been able to find anything when looking at the logs with journalctl (and it does not help that the logs get spammed with [sec_input] sec_ts_read_event: event buffer is empty because of this issue).

I’ll try to catch logs when this issue occurs, unless I lose my patience and revert back on using my trusty XA2…

Probably not related, but I did notice that even if both phones were on 4G, Sony always changed to 3G before calling/receiving the call when Jolla Phone always stays on 4G. And after the call Sony drops the mobile network connection altogether (SIM icon goes gray, no calls can be made or received with that SIM) for 10-20 seconds before it reconnects.