Ofonod cpu guzzling

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.2.0.21
HARDWARE (XA2, X10, X10 II, …): XA2 Plus
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): Unknown

DESCRIPTION:

ofonod periodically goes into a situation where it consumes about 150% CPU (at least htop seems to jump by about 1.5 seconds every second when it refreshes). This keeps more cores active than normal (at least 3 cores remain active at all times) and drains the battery.

PRECONDITIONS:

Not exactly sure. BLE?

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Turn on the phone
  2. wait
  3. (sometimes) wait some more

EXPECTED RESULT:

No runaway processes killing the battery

ACTUAL RESULT:

The battery drains with about 15% per hour.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Note: The process is basically unkillable by any other means than restarting the phone. I’ve tried SIGTERM, SIGKILL, restarting networking from utilities. Without success. Rebooting the phone work, for anything between 30 minutes to 1-2 days until the problem recurs.

2 Likes

Seen ofono consume cpu. I have no idea what might have caused it. I am on a community device.

I still had this problem occur in 4.3. Realized that I can actually kill the process, which results in an unworkable phone, because connectivity is broken. Reboot is still the only way to “fix” this.

Interesting enough, when ofonod is eating the battery, bluetooth connectivity actually becomes stable, I think this is because the constantly running process prevents the device from going into power-save mode and killing the connection. This would be nice, if the battery use wasn’t so crazily high.

Any others seeing this??

Same Problem on Xperia 10 II for all 4.x Versions. It’s less often in 4.3 than in the versions before, but every few days, normally after switching between WLAN and mobile use, ofonod starts hogging the cpu and drains the the power several times faster as without the process being my top cpu intensive process. For the last weeks I had top in the background and powerusage was always OK till ofonod popped on top of my cpu usage and started to drain the battery.

Noticed it once on my Xperia 10ii, SFOS 4.3. Flight mode didn’t fix the issue, but a restart of the ofono service did:

devel-su systemctl restart ofono

Sure but the underlying issue that is causing it is the problem that must be fixed.

Shameless bump in case someone (hey jolla :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) has more info on that. Or preferably a solution.

Its quite annoying.

Can reproduce this with XA2 on 4.3.0.15

Running “systemctl restart ofono.service” and check overall power consumption with CSD tool:
before restart ~270mA
after restart ~140mA

The thing is that noone seems to know what triggers it. For me it seems to happen when i move around (travel by car or a long walk).

Yep - there might be a correlation when changing the cell area (normal scenario of use for a cell phone).

I think I stumbled upon this specific issue this morning as well. Woke up and my Xperia 10 II running Sailfish 4.3 had about 20% battery left. Lighthouse app showed that ofonod cpu usage was constantly about 15%. Can’t really tell what could have caused this as the phone was normally on the bedroom table.

@slava will something like ofono logger “catch” this or you need more debug stuff for it?

This Problem is still present in SailfishOS 4.4.

The big question is what is triggering it?

1 Like

Yes, I’m also still seeing it. For some reason, for me it’s become way more frequent since the update. I used to get it maybe once a week, now I get it multiple times a day.

Btw this is still working for me to fix it temporary.

What is CSD tool? I couldn’t find it neither in Storeman nor in chum.

I’m not sure what it is. I check power consumption with Battery Buddy by direc85

It’s a hardware test tool in SFOS.
You can launch it in command line ( csd) or by tapping several times (five?) on the Build entry in “Settings/About Product”

3 Likes

@rtr2001 : Wow!! Hidden functions - very interesting! Thanks very much :star_struck:
BTW, my power drain is abt. 280 mA with sudden peaks up to 400 mA.

1 Like