Official support for Planet Computers Astro Slide 5G phone including Android?

If the day would have 48 hours, I would start digging. Unfortunately with wife and kids, job, etc. it is not that simple.

“they” have done nothing! It is the work of ONE (!!!) programmer, not a part of P.C., and he really did a fantastic job without any help as a hobby project.
But I fully agree. Forget Planet Computers. They are just releasing really crappy hardware. They even do not release the android rom for download, even unlocking the bootloader was work of the community. And initially they build a backdoor into the device until a community member noticed.

Mea culpa, sorry… true. It was one developer.

Actually organizing some comment storm on their indiegogo page wouldnt be a bad idea…

1 Like

Hey stiray, my deepest respect for you and everyone who put his time into the Cosmo. Because of you guys I can at least use it as a small device, handeling my basic business needs on the go: Thunderbird with PGP, Hexchat, Telegram, LibreOffice. Thunderbird alone with its ability encrypting and signing emails along with http signatures is good enough for me. To be fair, Planet Computers released the device at the worst possible time, followed by the lockdown in London and China. Also, because of guys like you, there is no other device that small and fast as the Cosmo running something like KDE. Even Pinephone and Librem5 are far from the speed and possibility the Cosmo offers right now. There is no phone with a (even very bad working) Debian desktop that can be used as a phone, correct me if I am wrong, Id buy the device asap.

1 Like

Is there any indication that there is a continueing relationship between Jolla and Planet Computers - such that we might expect an official SFOS build for the Astro Slide?

1 Like

AFAIR when the Gemini went into sale they also announced support for SFOS, however I haven’t found any hints in the communication of Astro. So I wouldn’t expect much.

1 Like

No, there is no formal relationship as far as I can tell. Planet Computers Gemini is listed in the Jolla shop, but it has no Android support. Without Android support it all gets a bit pointless to me. I don’t see what else we can do except maintain pressure in the forums.

You can start on working on Waydroid for this device.

Planet Computers mention Sailfish here: https://www.www3.planetcom.co.uk/planet-for-techies

However, if the two companies do not collaborate enough to get full support for Sailfish, including full support for Android on the Astro Slide, I don’t see how we will ever get a proper hacking device

I want to run a supported OS. If there is no Sailfish support for the Astro, I will run something else. Quite frankly, if there is no supported Linux OS with official Android support (e.g. Sailfish), I will probably end up running a Pixel or something instead, leaving both Sailfish and Planet Computers behind.

1 Like

The Astri Slide newsletter this morning had some very interesting piece of news: There is now a preliminary UBports build in existence, and the kernel sources and bootloader are available:

Another great news is that the production of Finnish/Swedish keyboard has started!

2 Likes

Waydroid doesn’t seem possible on the Gemini due to missing kernel modules (backport) but may be feasible on the Astroslide.

I am not very interested in Waydroid. I need a Linux phone with well integrated Android. As far as I can tell, the only option is Sailfish + AppSupport. I can not understand why Jolla want to limit AppSupport to the Sony devices alone? Why not sell AppSupport for open source Sailfish integrations? Either that, or do an official Sailfish port for the Astro that includes AppSupport?

That is very good news! Now things just need to move on the Sailfish side as well!

1 Like

A dedicated distro for the astroslide would rather not pay off…

I am not sure that is the case. We aren’t talking about redesigning Sailfish from scratch here, it is only the adaptation to a new hardware platform. Unix is originally designed for high portability so most of the OS remains the same. This is what libhybris is about and the foundation of Sailfish. Besides Jolla kan probably leverage help from the community for a device like this.

Year and a half later, I still haven’t received my Astro Slide, although it should be pretty dang close, since there are reports of Swe/Fin layout devices being delivered on social media!

As I read the room here, there may not be an official port, but a community port is within the realm of possible. Is there any interest in a community port, and who would step in and start it?

(I am able to participate at least, but I believe it’s going to be quite a big undertaking, and as I have never done anything serious with device ports, it could take a long time to get anywhere all on my own :sweat_smile:)

2 Likes

I got mine, UK based
looking for a non android OS

2 Likes

Is there a version of Sailfish OS planned for Astro Slide 5G?
there are a lot of people waiting for this release

Taking into account the situation the manufacturing is currently (the manufacturer factory was sold and the new owner pulled the deal) there is no point in spending any effort to the platform.

I lost my money in the campaign, and so did many others. That is the risk of crowdfunding :frowning: