Now tablets are a thing again.... Is there any interest from the porting community?

Really just wondering if there is any nascent interest in SFOS tablets that might be rekindled now that there has been a renaissance in new non-landfill-android devices…

Devices like the these:-

Xiaomi Pad 5 - unlockable bootloader and standard Snapdragon SoC:

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_pad_5-11042.php

Realme Pad - Mediatek Helio G80:

https://www.gsmarena.com/realme_pad-11084.php

Nokia T20 - Unisoc T610:

“Android Enterprise Recommended” - indicate a long sales life?

Honor Tablet V7 - MediaTek Kompanio 900T:

https://www.gsmarena.com/honor_tablet_v7-11125.php

14 Likes

I would certainly like having a tablet running SFOS :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Me too! With Android support, so I can read the Guardia, other newspapers and articles on it.
I would prefer a Nokia, for recently with Xiaomi there were doubts concerning safety.

5 Likes

We could import a batch of Inoi T8 Tablets from Russia. The only problem is probably, that they are not CE certified and though illegal to be imported. But also the specs are not that interesting anymore seen the Android-tablets you can find on the market

Otherwise i am really eager for the Pinetab, but apparently Pine64 has problems in purchasing components this why the release date has been changed to Q4/21 or Q1/22 :frowning:

4 Likes

I’d prefer something with official support as long as its not a half baked product. And we need features like flawless pen support.

12 Likes

If Jolla can support officially a tablet (or release one) that’ll be great.
Many of the bugs and issues we have with SFOS are related to smartphone-centric issues: phone calls, MMS, calendar and sync, etc.
As most use cases of tablets aren’t around these things, it might be a better overall experience.

7 Likes

Perhaps a new Xperia Tablet is incoming:

2 Likes

I have a Sone Xperia Compact Tablet Z3 (iirc) and it’s stuck at, uh, 3.4? I would love to have Sony release an AOSP compatible tablet and Jolla supporting it officially!

7 Likes

I don’t think it’s really for a tablet, but such commit looks very promising : https://github.com/sailfishos/mce/pull/4

(spoiler, it’s to advertise the presence of a mouse to the application layers)

1 Like

Perhaps the Hisense A7cc It’s 6.7inch eink screen.

I would love to have an eink screen, to get continuous on screen for ebook and maps in particular.
The challenge being to get the special eink screen drivers into the sfos android.

[btw there are also the older A5C and A6L(6" dual screen) both with qualcomm chips, that can be rooted]

4 Likes

haha! a kobo sage running jolla would be smashing!

1 Like

YES PLEASE!!! :smiley:

In fact I think someone ported Jolla Sailfish to some old Samsung Note phones and perhaps some lessons can be learned from that experience ?!

2 Likes

The Lenovo Legion Y700 tablet with 8.8" 120hz screen and 256Gb of UFS 3.1 storage - SD 870:

I believe I remember a statement like “pen works like mouse” in the context of the notes port from tmo.
I am not sure if this is really what you desire here, but for me flawless pen support seems to be more an issue of supporting apps than supporting os.

Has a Sony tablet been anounced in the end?

1 Like

and the Oppo Pad - 10.95" 12hz screen - SD 870:

Are there any indications that the binary blobs for porting are freely available for these devices? Can’t see this from the linked site (well, maybe I did not look hard enough…)

honestly no idea.

i present this thread more as a guage of sentiment in support of sfos on tablets - in light of the improved availability of tablet devies.

What abou the JingPad A1:

Seems to allready run some open Linux OS called JingOS (which I never heard before) but seems to be a Linux LSB system with KDE desktop and might serve as an ideal base for a sailfish port…

4 Likes

yes i got also two xperia Tablets one scorpion and one scorpion-windy.
Its a pity that we stuck on 3.4.0.24
In my opionion it is a wonderful device.

2 Likes