Any chance of non-Sony phones being officially supported in the future ?!

Really? €200-300 for a phone with no particular shortcomings, how can that be bad?
There will always be “better” phones, but sure looks like they generally cost more.

Caring deeply about brands is what is silly. These companies don’t care about you, no reason to care about them.

3 Likes

@nero355, in terms of being overpriced. They offer Open Devices program which not many do. In particular, an official way of downloading BLOBs. So, try to check out how many companies offer that and then make price comparison. I would be curious to see that list, even without prices.

9 Likes

Only the fact that they don’t use notches on their designs makes xperia phones worth it. No matter the OS.

1 Like

Not to forget the very good quality of hardware! Once I opened my Xperia 10 for minor necessary repair, so I saw the excellent quality of the phones internal mechanical construction.
My phones are now abt. two years old, after cleaning with a soft cloth they look as like new. Battery still good.

3 Likes

The only sad part with sonys is that we don’t get to have all the cool apps and features that sony has on its cameras on android phones. It would be extremely cool if those worked on SFOS (natively)

3 Likes

i have no issue with Jolla’s choice to standardise on Sony mid-range devices - i am looking forward to buying a 10 III and running SFOS on it next year…

…but, i would I would like to run SFOS on a modern tablet:

2 Likes

AFAIK there arent any people working on a tablet with SFOS. And yes it’d be good to have one.

3 Likes

I fear the same thing, but hey… without hope… :slight_smile:

But… unfortunately I am not a developer…

In fact me and programming is like water and oil :wink:

That table was a reason for me to buy the Xiaomi Mi 9T but later on it turned out the project was abandoned and a batterydrain issue exists! :frowning:

Also getting the Custom ROM/Jolla Sailfish port to work was a bit of a pain in the ass, but thanks to some Linux tricks I managed to get it to work! :slight_smile:

Ugly phone with a hole in the screen sadly…

I know that phone via the Ubuntu Touch project but thanks anyway! :slight_smile:

I guess I am used to more value for money like my ZUK Z2 Pro or the Xiaomi Mi 9T and Pocophone F2 Pro : All around € 300 and packed with high end specs and AMOLED screens and so on… :wink:

I always say the same so I fully agree with you! :slight_smile:

If I understood some developers correctly : Qualcomm and MediaTek offer those in general! :slight_smile:

In the Linux world AMD/Intel/Nvidia are known for the same thing I believe…

Their currently outdated design is still better than all those notches and holes in all those screens used by their competitors : TRUE THAT!!! :smiley:

I can say the same about many other phones that I have seen beeing taken apart so that is not really unique to be honest…

My cheapass ZUK Z2 Pro also still works just fine after 5 years and I only removed the original screenportector after about 4,5 years! :wink:
The battery does about 4,5 SoT hours now too!

I am a dSLR user so the camera has ZERO priority when choosing a phone : Only the hardware like SoC/RAM/Storage/Screen really matter :slight_smile:

I am running out of options so I might just do the same, but still : Let’s have some more choices in the future! :wink:

1 Like

I would suggest to read Developer's Intro · Open Devices, section “Further information”. Pay attention to Software binaries/proprietary modules on that page.

3 Likes

Also, the Sony team was friendly and keen.

Remember, Jolla’s market isn’t us and hasn’t been for a few years. Sony devices that Jolla probably makes a small loss on are the best we can hope for.

2 Likes

If you want official ROM then your only chance is the Gemini PDA with Sailfish X, or a community port if Android support isn’t important for you. I think not all community ports has battery issues, also since you bought an used phone, it can be a hardware issue too. (old battery for example)

I think, dealing with only one brand makes things a lot easier for Jolla, and this is why they don’t really support any other brands with SFOS X. They still have struggle with stability, so I don’t think they will expand the lineup soon. It could change if they would expand their shops outside Europe, since Sony isn’t officially available in America for example, so they would need an other vendor for that market.

2 Likes

is there any indication of official support for the new new Planet Computers “Astro Slide” slider device?

Very unusual for Sony since they are the ones who send a police squad to your home if you mod their products!

Their vision is that the products you buy from them are not owned by you : They are still owned by Sony according to them! :frowning:

Please explain :slight_smile:

I know for sure that there are Community Ports out there that don’t have batterydrain issues, but this particular one has it unfortunately… :cry:

It’s not the battery of the phone : It’s fine when I use it in combination with Android :wink:
The phone had only been used for about 8 months according to the guy who sold it to me and my own tests more or less confirm that!

So even a Sony Xperia X II or in the future the III won’t give me a 100% reliable experience ?!

WOW!!!

That thing looks damn good! :smiley:

1 Like

Very nice new phone!!

2 Likes

Sony Mobile is based in Sweden and much more relaxed than the departments in Japan.

6 Likes

oh wow so they kept the Sony Ericsson legacy in some form?

3 Likes

So on what does this view base on?

Reading those stuff below does not sound ‘relaxed’ to me (and it is not first mentioning of this behaviour):

despite (Switzerland)

1 Like

There is an official port for the gemini pda which is not a Sony phone.
Plus, there seem to be some russian phones running the russian sfos derivative “AuroraOS”. I don’t know these phones have Android support though, but I guess they don’t.

Link:

The Gemini PDA is a bit of a hate/love relationship for me so I am not yet sure what to do with that one! :slight_smile:

Those AuroraOS phones are not a option because of two things :

• Russian market phones.
  • MediaTek SoC’s which I would rather avoid whenever possible!

But thanks anyway! :wink: