No roaming for mobile internet connection

Do you have the dot for allowing mobile data under Settings-Mobile network-Modile data glowing? And are you able to switch that off and on? (not talking about the roaming switch, in textual form).
Or is that setting greyed out?
I had that once and tested this SIM with other phone(s) and could not get data as well. A call (erm, two/three, different service personnel) brought up that my provider had a tick mark set for blocking mobile data abroad (for whatever reason :roll_eyes:). After they switched it and a reboot everything was fine…

1 Like

I did not travel much these days but on my XA2 with Vodafone Germany roaming in Poland works.

It’s literally the post just above it

Yup, dot for mobile data is glowing and I’m able to switch it on and off

Sorry, overread that, it seems.

Sorry, then I also do not know.

Hello,

I am replying here because I have the same problem: roaming is not working. Details of my case:

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION: 4.4.0.64
HARDWARE: Sony Xperia 10 II
UI LANGUAGE: French
REGRESSION: Unknown (this is the first version of SFOS I am using)

Description, preconditions, steps to reproduce, expected result and actual result match exactly those of the original post.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

• My original provider is in France (Bouygues Telecom) and the first time I tried roaming was in Romania
  • The network home and local (putted in parenthesis) are both recongnized.
  • I always get that SMS from my home carrier telling me how many GB I can use in the country, how much additional SMS/phone calls would cost me, etc…

I tried:

• restarting the phone
  • selecting other preferred networks (4G or 3G)
  • using the same SIM card in another phone: roaming works

What I didn’t try:

• using a different url for the MMS and data access points (that would mean that my home SIM would try to connect to the local network which would refuse the connection, i guess)
  • using a local SIM card

Additional information than I don’t know if it is linked to the problem or independent, but I am also observing this only abroad, so I am mentioning it just in case it can point something suspicious:

• In some places, not all, I cannot send or receive SMS, but phonecalls always work. In some other places, both phone calls and SMS work.
  • I am experiencing repeated network disconnections. I can stay connected for hours and then, for a few minutes, I lose all network connection. Activating and deactivation airplane mode do not solve the problem, neither is restarting the phone. Network comes back after a few minutes.

Thank you for your time.

After reading this, I tried fixing the mobile data with ofono logger (found on storeman instead of Jolla store) and resetting the SIM settings. None of this worked.

With the Sony Xperia 10 I got a similar problem without being able to solve this.
From Belgium (Base) to France (Bouygues Télécom), disconnections happen sometimes (every few minutes to every few hours) and it takes some minute to get the network back again.

On December 2021, it was perfectly ok with the same hardware and the same location, same operators. And before the holidays at home, no problem also.

So probably a regression introduced since December…

I have the same problem. As travel finally returns, it becomes very painful.

BUILD ID = OS VERSION: 4.4.0.68
HARDWARE: Sony Xperia 10 III
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: 4.3 has the same issue

Description, preconditions, steps to reproduce, expected result and actual result match exactly those of the original post.

DESCRIPTION:

Roaming doesn’t work for mobile internet connection.
Roaming is active in my settings. I tried roaming in Poland and France, and the mobile data “doesn’t work” (a.k.a No internet connection). SMS and phone calls do work, USSD requests are fine too. No errors displayed by the system.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

• My home provider is Lebara UK, roaming setting is Always allow.
  • The network home and local (putted in parenthesis) are both recongnized.
  • Dot for mobile data is glowing and I’m able to switch it on and off, but I’m not getting an ip address for rmnet_data1 interface (SIM card is in slot1)
  • I tried:
    • restarting the phone
    • selecting other network modes (4G,3G an 2G), Protocol (IP, IPv6 and Dual) - no difference
    • use SIM card slot 1 and 2 - no difference
    • using a local SIM card - internet works
    • using the same SIM card in another phone - roaming works

Thanks!

I am experiencing the same problem (xperia 10iii) while roaming in Greece, switching IP vs Dual didn’t help. The only way to get network connection working is when i moved the sim card from slot1 to slot2, inconvenient tho as i had to take out my sd card.

2 Likes

Same here and for the first time ever

Xperia 10 III, 4.4.0.68
Vodafone Germany

Roaming in Poland: 3G, no mobile data

Tried:

restarting network
reboot
manually setting the provider

Did not try:

Manually setting data access point to ip v4

The same SIM worked just fine in my XA2 in many European countries.
If the problem persists this really is a problem for me. A phone that doesn’t work abroad is a show stopper.

Worked before in PL, SE, NO, DK, CZ, NL, BE, FR, UK, AT, IT.

1 Like

Retried a few days ago: Roaming in Poland, Mobile Network set to IPv4. → Works. :slight_smile:

1 Like

And tried the same in Austria. Nothing. :face_vomiting:

i did have a funny situation in poland last week where i had mobile data initially once i de-airplane-moded my phone after landing, but seemed to lose it some time after arriving at the destinaion (and their wifi network). after that, restarts made on difference, no mobile data.

this on an XA2 Plus with 4.4.0.64.

reminds me of two different things:

1. the wifi bug that seems to reliably kill mobile data when i leave home wifi range
  2. the fact that i’d swear mobile data did initially work on my 10iii after first booting into SFOS the first time

I have an Xperia 10 III with 4.5.0.18 and two Vodafone SIMs. My primary one is a CallYa prepaid tariff, which explicitly lists EU Roaming, see also this screenshot:

I am currently in Sweden and have had no success at all to get mobile data to work. I set roaming to “always allow” and status is shown as “Enabled”. The carrier (automatically) selected is Telenor SE.

Any app trying to access the web tells me there is no internet connection. ip a shows all rmnet* interfaces without any ip address apart from the link-local IPv6 on rmnet_data0@rmnet_ipa0

I tried having only one SIM, having that single SIM in both SIM Slots and nothing worked. I then (again with bot cards inserted) tried resetting all ofono settings, to no avail.

Also, the linked “oFono Logger Approach” is dysfunctional because the mentioned app does not exist in the store.

When I was landing at Copenhagen Airport, I had data connection, I could chat with a friend. Maybe it is specific to Swedish providers?

At this point, my only way online is free (hotel) Wifi, which is a sad state of affairs.

While I am here for a few more days, is there any useful way I can collect logs or try things?

Best regards
Moe

PS: journalctl -u ofono does output

Feb 22 20:52:42 Xperia10III ofonod[12751]: Activating context: 1
Feb 22 20:52:42 Xperia10III ofonod[12751]: Unexpected data call status 4100

when I re-activate mobile data

PPS: Now, that I searched the forum again for the ofonod log message, this hint of disabling the PIN did help! I have working mobile data :tada:

2 Likes

Hello,

I have experienced the same problem: roaming is not working for the internet connection. here are the details of my case:

BUILD ID = OS VERSION: 4.5.0.21
UI LANGUAGE: French
REGRESSION: Unknown with this hardware, but I didn’t have this problem with the Xperia 10 Plus last year

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

• My original provider is in Switzerland (Sunrise) and every time I go in France, I cannot use the data. The function is enabled on the smartphone, but the symbol for data is not visible beside the GSM symbol on the main screen
  • The SMS and voice call are OK.

I tried:

• restarting the phone
  • selecting other preferred networks (4G or 3G)
  • using SIM1 and SIM2 slots in the smartphone
  • using the same SIM card in another phone: roaming works

What I didn’t try:

• using a different url for the MMS and data access points
  • using a local SIM card
  • using manual configuration fort the IP address

Since 4.5.0.21 works with dual network in Germany, Denmark, Sweden and Finland.

Have you tried setting Network to IPv4?

No, I haven’t tried this setting. I will try next time I go to France.

I just had similar problems in France:

BUILD ID = OS VERSION: 4.5.0.21
UI LANGUAGE: German
SIM: Vodafone Germany

I was unable to use a mobile data connection for several days (trying merely everything: reboots, manula APN configuration etc.) UNTIL I placed the SIM card in an Android phone for one single mobil internet access. Thereafter, I placed the SIM card again in my Xperia 10 iii with SFOS 4.5.0.21 and mobile data (i.e. roaming) worked. APN setting etc. were the same as before

While this is no solution, it might be a workaround to be kept in mind

1 Like

Here are some news about my Xperia 10 III. I was during a week in Italy with mainly Sunrise (Italy) as the main operator and I experienced the same problems as I had previously in France. I had tried to set Network to IP4, mixed and IP6, and there was no difference with these settings. Last year, with the Xperia 10 Plus, I didn’t have any problem in Italy (with the same SIM card). One more information: in Switzerland (where I live), the operator is Sunrise and the phone works very well, except the bug of the echo with the voice call.