No roaming for mobile internet connection

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION: 4.3.0.12
HARDWARE: X10 II and X
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: No, this issue happened with earlier OS versions (3 and 4).

DESCRIPTION:

Roaming doesn’t work for mobile internet connection.
Roaming is active in my settings, and whenever I travel in Europe, the mobile data “doesn’t work” (a.k.a No internet connection). SMS and phone calls do work. Network automatically goes back to 3G with a triangle signal. No errors displayed by the system.

PRECONDITIONS:

Have roaming activated in the settings

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Activated roaming in your settings
  2. Travel abroad
  3. Wait to get that nice SMS message from your provider about roaming in this new country

EXPECTED RESULT:

When arriving in the new country, the roaming should be done automatically, with your “home” carrier suggesting it’s local replacement.

ACTUAL RESULT:

A local replacement is chosen automatically, there is some signal, but no internet connection.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

• The network home and local (putted in parenthesis) are both recongnized.
  • I tried this with different carriers. In different countries, across Europe and further.
  • I always get that SMS from my home carrier telling me how many GB I can use in the country, how much additional SMS/phone calls would cost me, etc…
  • I tried:
    • restarting the phone
    • manually choosing the carrier (not the company selected automatically)
    • phone works with local SIM cards (yes, even the SIM cards from the automatically selected carrier by my “home” carrier)
    • selecting other preferred networks (4G or 3G)

What I didn’t try:

• using a different url for the MMS and data access points (that would mean that my home SIM would try to connect to the local network which would refuse the connection, i guess)

Example:
I have a SIM card from Deutsch Telekom in my X10 II, I travel to Finland. Landing there I get the SMS from DT telling me that, because Finland is in the EU, I have 20Gb of mobile data, unlimited SMS and phone calls with the Telia carrier.
In my mobile network settings, roaming is activated, the phone recognized it and wrote “Network Deutsch Telekom (Telia)”, my prefered network type is 4G but in my upper home screen it’s written 3G (although Telia has a 4G network and that other phones are in 4G).

I don’t know which logs I could provide to help debugging, but feel free to tell me what to do and I’ll upload the logs.

1 Like

You say, it is no regression. That makes me wonder because I never had this issue in France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxemburg or Sweden using my German Telekom SIM Card and my German Vodafone SIM Card. However, the last time I was in France was this Summer with SFOS 4.1 on an Xperia 10 ii and an XA2. There was no problem with data roaming. I have not tested data roaming with SFOS 4.3 yet.

Just a guess: What data access point (Datenzugriffspunkt under Settings → mobile Network) have you chosen? IP, IP6 or DUAL?
If I remember correctly, there were issues with IP6 (and thus DUAL as well). Therefore I have set the data access point to “IP”. Maybe that makes the difference.

1 Like

Then I don’t understand why this happens if I’m the only one if I used different carriers …

I chose IP for the data and IPv6 for MMS

If you have chosen Protocol: IP, then i don’t no. I trust that all other details relating to DT SIM are the same on my and on your phone - and I had no issue so far. I don’t know when I learned to set the Protocol in Data Access Point to “IP”. The reason was some issue with mobile data connection quite some time ago. But if you manually set the Protocol in Data Access Point to “IP” like I did, then our phones should behave the same, I guess … (which apparently is not the case, though)

I tried IPv6 and Mixted just in case, but the result is the same…

Please read

and try with setting IP (which is v4) only.

Do you have the dot for allowing mobile data under Settings-Mobile network-Modile data glowing? And are you able to switch that off and on? (not talking about the roaming switch, in textual form).
Or is that setting greyed out?
I had that once and tested this SIM with other phone(s) and could not get data as well. A call (erm, two/three, different service personnel) brought up that my provider had a tick mark set for blocking mobile data abroad (for whatever reason :roll_eyes:). After they switched it and a reboot everything was fine…

1 Like

I did not travel much these days but on my XA2 with Vodafone Germany roaming in Poland works.

It’s literally the post just above it

Yup, dot for mobile data is glowing and I’m able to switch it on and off

Sorry, overread that, it seems.

Sorry, then I also do not know.

Hello,

I am replying here because I have the same problem: roaming is not working. Details of my case:

BUILD ID = OS VERSION: 4.4.0.64
HARDWARE: Sony Xperia 10 II
UI LANGUAGE: French
REGRESSION: Unknown (this is the first version of SFOS I am using)

Description, preconditions, steps to reproduce, expected result and actual result match exactly those of the original post.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

• My original provider is in France (Bouygues Telecom) and the first time I tried roaming was in Romania
  • I always get that SMS from my home carrier telling me how many GB I can use in the country, how much additional SMS/phone calls would cost me, etc…

I tried:

• restarting the phone
  • selecting other preferred networks (4G or 3G)
  • using the same SIM card in another phone: roaming works

What I didn’t try:

• using a different url for the MMS and data access points (that would mean that my home SIM would try to connect to the local network which would refuse the connection, i guess)
  • using a local SIM card

Additional information than I don’t know if it is linked to the problem or independent, but I am also observing this only abroad, so I am mentioning it just in case it can point something suspicious:

• In some places, not all, I cannot send or receive SMS, but phonecalls always work. In some other places, both phone calls and SMS work.
  • I am experiencing repeated network disconnections. I can stay connected for hours and then, for a few minutes, I lose all network connection. Activating and deactivation airplane mode do not solve the problem, neither is restarting the phone. Network comes back after a few minutes.

Thank you for your time.

After reading this, I tried fixing the mobile data with ofono logger (found on storeman instead of Jolla store) and resetting the SIM settings. None of this worked.

With the Sony Xperia 10 I got a similar problem without being able to solve this.
From Belgium (Base) to France (Bouygues Télécom), disconnections happen sometimes (every few minutes to every few hours) and it takes some minute to get the network back again.

On December 2021, it was perfectly ok with the same hardware and the same location, same operators. And before the holidays at home, no problem also.

So probably a regression introduced since December…

I have the same problem. As travel finally returns, it becomes very painful.

BUILD ID = OS VERSION: 4.4.0.68
HARDWARE: Sony Xperia 10 III
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: 4.3 has the same issue

Description, preconditions, steps to reproduce, expected result and actual result match exactly those of the original post.

DESCRIPTION:

Roaming doesn’t work for mobile internet connection.
Roaming is active in my settings. I tried roaming in Poland and France, and the mobile data “doesn’t work” (a.k.a No internet connection). SMS and phone calls do work, USSD requests are fine too. No errors displayed by the system.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

• My home provider is Lebara UK, roaming setting is Always allow.
  • Dot for mobile data is glowing and I’m able to switch it on and off, but I’m not getting an ip address for rmnet_data1 interface (SIM card is in slot1)
  • I tried:
    • restarting the phone
    • selecting other network modes (4G,3G an 2G), Protocol (IP, IPv6 and Dual) - no difference
    • use SIM card slot 1 and 2 - no difference
    • using a local SIM card - internet works
    • using the same SIM card in another phone - roaming works

Thanks!

I am experiencing the same problem (xperia 10iii) while roaming in Greece, switching IP vs Dual didn’t help. The only way to get network connection working is when i moved the sim card from slot1 to slot2, inconvenient tho as i had to take out my sd card.

2 Likes

Same here and for the first time ever

Xperia 10 III, 4.4.0.68
Vodafone Germany

Roaming in Poland: 3G, no mobile data

Tried:

restarting network
reboot
manually setting the provider

Did not try:

Manually setting data access point to ip v4

The same SIM worked just fine in my XA2 in many European countries.
If the problem persists this really is a problem for me. A phone that doesn’t work abroad is a show stopper.

Worked before in PL, SE, NO, DK, CZ, NL, BE, FR, UK, AT, IT.

1 Like

Retried a few days ago: Roaming in Poland, Mobile Network set to IPv4. → Works. :slight_smile:

1 Like

And tried the same in Austria. Nothing. :face_vomiting:

i did have a funny situation in poland last week where i had mobile data initially once i de-airplane-moded my phone after landing, but seemed to lose it some time after arriving at the destinaion (and their wifi network). after that, restarts made on difference, no mobile data.

this on an XA2 Plus with 4.4.0.64.

reminds me of two different things:

1. the wifi bug that seems to reliably kill mobile data when i leave home wifi range
  2. the fact that i’d swear mobile data did initially work on my 10iii after first booting into SFOS the first time