No need for Jolla blog?

Simple question: is Jolla using official Jolla blog site anymore? For me - basic customer - Jolla blogs are easy to read and they are clear. Of course I understand community news are important especially for hard-working community but I hope these community news will not replace official Jolla blog site. Maybe I’m unnecessarily worried.

8 Likes

This was actually just discussed today in the Communuty Meeting, and there was a lot of others waiting for the next blog post too. Perhaps it it is soon revived, let’s wait and see!

1 Like

Yea I have to say I do not agree with @rainemak’s viewpoint in the latest community meeting (reading the log) that “The Sailfish OS Forum is more suitable for writing about recent developments. Thinking is that we would be steering this kind of communication to the Forum as it is also more suitable for discussion.”

Looking at the blog, the last post was in February of 2023. There is no indication that Sailfish OS continues to see development after that point or that Jolla even still exists. As someone that stopped using Sailfish OS a long time ago on my Jolla One and only really followed it leading up to what I heard was quite a troubling period at the start of Russia’s war on Ukraine, my assumption was Jolla was basically shuttered and development ceased. Maybe the timetables are off there, but I don’t think it’s really an individuals responsibility to try to keep all that memorized either :smiley: It wasn’t until I saw a boosted post on Mastodon re. Jolla that I knew otherwise! There isn’t even a blog post on Jolla C2, the only information you get about it is a small section on the homepage with an Order Now button. The carousel doesn’t provide any more meaningful information either. A blog post detailing the goals around C2 should be a no brainer, you had to write all the talking points for the marketing video anyways. If anything you’d start with a blog post then make a second marketing copy for use on the video.

Clicking on Sailfish OS on the Jolla website doesn’t give a better picture either. You get a bunch of marketing and technical information about Sailfish, but there isn’t any information on releases since it doesn’t have a blog either (or at least I can’t find one). As far as one could tell without going several layers deep, it’s all dead / defunct. The only way of knowing otherwise is to go into Community, then clicking the small link to the Sailfish OS forums, then knowing you need to click Announcements to get the latest release notes because there aren’t any relnotes pinned.

If the goal is to have discussions around a given post, my advice would be to either start blogging on Jolla or SailfishOS.org, then create a topic here with a link to the post so people can discuss the related post.

13 Likes

Absolutely, every newcomer has no idea what’s going on and may think the project is inactive :confused:

That’s actually exactly what I proposed in the meeting :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Thanks @ari.jarvio for starting this forum thread. I myself asked the question for the community meeting and sorry @rainemak I couldn’t make it, though I read your (company’s) answer now.

I also think a blog post would help with people coming by knowing you’re an active developed OS. Even without comments enabled (asking for tablet refund, I know:)

One thing that happened in the last days, though anecdotal, is worth mentioning. Somebody searched for “lahaina” and kernel building and found my notes around Zenfone on this forum. Probably inferred my Telegram handle from the github one linked all over those posts. And asked some specific question about booting the kernel on Telegram.

That is not all. Things got weird when that person, obviously a linux hacker wanting his device to boot into some GNU/Linux, asked me what was Sailfish and why did I used that, because they never heard of it.. Let me repeat, a Linux kernel hacker, working on their phone never heard of SailfishOS.

I don’t know if one blogpost more would help, but at least it would not hurt.

13 Likes

i completely agree.
when i search for an os, i do check the blogs and when the last one was written.
i did that with vollaphone, ub-touch everything.
i think 4 posts a year are a minimum, if you want to show to new potential users that you are alive

10 Likes

It would be nice to hear @Jolla 's opinion is Jolla using their official blog site anymore.

Honestly i loved the blog, should be used

Aaaaand

If someone is just searching for jolla it’s easier he will stumble on the blog rather than the forum and seeing no new blog posts in a while may think sailfish is discontinued

Just my 2 cents

4 Likes

Reading this:

e.g., this is a kind of insider chat. It’s much too specialized for general public and for deeper interested reader it contains much too less information. This forum is much better to learn about SFOS, but it fits only for people who want to dive deep.

1 Like