NextCloud HowTo Sailfish OS Backup

Hi community and sailors,

is there a step by step description how to install and configure NextCloud for the Sailfish OS backup?

(Sailfish 3.4.0.24, XA2 single sim)

I managed to install NextCloud on my Synology NAS (youtubeguide) and I get a connection witch an android app (even with a two way authenticator), but it does not work with SailfishOS. Creating an account is possible, but it is not working. Are there some tweaks I have to know, or to setup in the createt acount in the account settings, that differ from standard Sailfish settings?

It would be great if someone who knows how to set it up could make a HowTo guide for beginners.

Or is there a bug that is currentliy making this NextCloud-backup thing not usable?

When Jolla introduced Nextcloud integration, there were a few issues which have been discussed at https://together.jolla.com/question/224331/330-issues-with-nextcloud-integration/ and similar threads. For instance, it was necessary to run Nextcloud in the webserver’s root instead of a subdirectory.

Just for clarification: ist it just backup that’s not working or the Nextcloud account in general? Topic title suggests your problem ist just tied to backup, but the text sound like there are general problems.

For just backup problems: as far as I remember you need to set the the backup folder in your Nextcloud first. Sailfish backup doesn’t create that folder, and when you set up the account on sailfish you can’t chance the destination folder. But it might work if you add a folder in your Nextcloud that matches the standard backup path provided by sailfish nextcloud account setup.

Well, if you create a new account for nextcloud at 3.4 the backup path is setup correctly. If you have created the nextcloud account a release earlier, than there won’t be the correct path and you have to set it manually (Nextcloud-backup-client fails to upload). But this assumes a working nextcloud server.

1 Like

Standard path from sailfish default is
/remote.php/dav/files/Username/Sailfish OS/Backups.

As Sailfish doesn’t create folders you’ll need to create a folder
Sailfish OS/Backups
in your Nextcloud files to get it working. That was what I wanted to say.

Nevertheless following your link I discovered that the account settings/path can be changed later from advanced settings… Wasn’t aware of that.

Well, If I remember correctly, the Sailfish is creating the set path at the server correctly…
It worked at least for me.