New Phone on horizon?

Wow :astonished:

My battery lasts about two days running UT as my daily driver.
People who were switching between between Volla OS, UT and SFOS said, the battery performance on Volla OS would be much better than on UT or SFOS.

Battery of the GS290/Volla is not replaceable.
The only Gigaset device with replaceable battery (by now) is the GS4.
With real dual-sim (2 SIM-cards+1SD-card) it has another advantage, thatā€™s important to me.

Sadly the GS4 didnā€™t make it to Gigasets open-source program yet. Hope that comes soon. It really would be a great SFOS or UT device.

1 Like

Hi
first i did flash ubuntu, went fine
then i tried to flash sailfish and bricked the phone. hangs in volla + sailfish os
the flashing tool from mediatek does not work on ubuntu :slight_smile:
now trying to fix it with an fresh vollaos install using ubport installer.

how did you manage the install sailfish ?
maybe i will start a new thread btw

In fact, i had a volla phone at the end of december. Did the same as you did, first UT, then volla os, then tried to flash SFOS which left me stuck at the SFOS boot logo. I tried flashing volla os over and over again until at some point it succeeded.
I then sold the phone because i dont like android, and i found UT unusable because of the lack of apps and rather broken android support via anbox.

I was just curious how the volla phone would performon SFOS, which i didnt have the chance to try.

Never switch between SFOS<->UT directly.

Switching between SFOS and UT with the UBPorts-Installer should always be done by first flashing Volla OS again and then the other OS.
Also, you should make shure that the bootloader is unlocked, before you flash another OS via UBPorts-Installer. (UBPorts-installer did have a problem unlocking the bootloader. DOnā€™t know if this issue still exists)

However- there were several poeple in the telegram channel who reported the same issues s710 and you did.
The were solutions for those users at the telegram channel of the Volla User Community.

If you are using telegram, you should lookup https://t.me/hello_volla to get a solution.

Thanks
Well the channel is nice:
a) i can not write anything: guess i need to be a member for a while (resticted to read-only)
b) i fall out of the group permanently
a search did not help much neither

volla os i working again

finally i also did succeed to return back to volla and phone reacts again

the install instructions are like: when you do it the second time, you understand what was ment
ā€¦ but of course you screw it on the first time

Last week i read they introduced captchas as spam protection in the channel.

Iā€™ve asked in the channel, what to do to be able to join the group and write ā€¦

[Edit]: They answered that at the bottom of your screen there should be a button labeled as ā€œHier klickenā€ (ā€œClick hereā€). You should click this button and follow the instructions to confirm the captchas and become a privileged member of the channel.

[Edit2]: One solution I found in the channel was this one: https://t.me/hello_volla/23210

Hi,
ok the captcha did noch work in linux telegram for me.
i checked once more on the phone in FOSS telegram and there i did find it.
Thanks !

Jcoder did reply already. Giga does make one device with a replaceable battery and you can send the GS290 to the factory for a replacement too. On Youtube is a video where someone replaces the battery by himself but I wouldnā€™t recommend it. The battery of the GS290 lasts very long, exceptional. It seems this factory is quite flexible in customizing, so perhaps Jolla could make an appointment with them and make its wishes clear?
The only downsides of this device are camera and sound. You can get it for E180.

Yeap, sounds about right. Got mine locally today at 249 ā‚¬ incl VAT (last box in this store, but some more available elsewhere in town). Everybody is now discounting these by ~100 ā‚¬, probably to make room for new Xperias coming.

1 Like