Mounting Samba/CIFS folder working?

//192.168.1.2/folder    /home/nemo/123     cifs    ro,noauto,user=username,uid=100000,gid=100000,vers=2.02 0 0

Password for username@//192.168.1.2/folder:  ***
mount error(22): Invalid argument
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

Anybody has it working?
PS Xperia 10, 3.3.0.

My J1 does not even have a mount.cifs binary … but the kernel module is available:

[nemo@Sailfish ~]$ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep CONFIG_CIFS=
CONFIG_CIFS=m

it’s in the cifs-utils package, not on stock fw.

cifs-utils is not packaged for J1, not available in the repos. You lucky guys with AOSP based devices!

woouldn’t this work?

@remote Oh, I’m sure it does (for others at least), thanks for the link. I hadn’t enabled that repository while searching for the package. Whilst being over six years old, it should still work.
Regarding your original question: what happens if you play with the mount arguments a bit, by omitting them one by one, to identify the one your mount.cifs binary doesn’t like?

I’ve tried, nothing helps.
If I remove ‘vers’ then it shouts with error 95.

So I’m not sure it works on SFOS, hence the question.

If the PC is not windows, you could mount with SSH

sshfs user@192.168.1.1:/some/path     /some/local/path

then to unmount

fusermount -u  /some/local/path
1 Like

I just installed NielDK’s cifs-utils package on my J1 and can confirm the EINVAL (error 22) for vers=2.02 only. If I omit this, I get an EACCESS (error 13).

I have a suspicion that this would have worked on an OS earlier than 3.3 … but I have no such device here to test.

1 Like

Sadly not aarch64 build :slight_smile: Looks like another project for me. Or maybe someone has a bit of time?

I guess building it will require lots of dependency libraries as well? Maybe something to put in the chum git and maintain collaboratively?

I’ve just started going through the code, so I’m not certain, but it doesn’t seem to have many dependencies at all. Just a linux kernel and the kernel module :slight_smile: But I would definitely host it on chum.

1 Like

and modprobe cifs does work as expected :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just for reference if anyone has a minute (cough): File cifs-utils.spec of Package cifs-utils - openSUSE Build Service

I was able to get this to build and install - https://github.com/Distrotech/cifs-utils - but not sure what to do with it… I’m not familiar with Samba

The one for the link you posted asks for many more deps, and even after I installed libassuan says can’t find…

I’lk poke around a bit more.

Right you are. Distros often overcomplicate things. Like I do … thanks for the tip.

I have a number of old samba servers in the house (one is just on the router). fstab:
\\192.168.178.20/share /home/mwa/smb/share cifs rw,uid=1000,gid=1000,username=mwa,password=blah,_netdev,vers=1.0 0 0

Those servers also have sftp but are so old that the key material on sfos doesn’t like it … thanks for the tip!

This has built files - https://github.com/levone1/cifs-utils-SFOS/tree/master

1 Like

the .o files are from an aarch64 build?

Yes. Once the build was done, I just pushed it as-is… (XZ2c 4.4 aarch64)

1 Like

Tried it on 10III - still the same errors from when I first wrote here :frowning:

1 Like