Loses cellular network (until restart)

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 3.4.0.24, 3.3.0.16 , maybe always
HARDWARE : XA2 4133, device adaption 0.0.7.48
UI LANGUAGE:
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): N

DESCRIPTION:

Phone loses the cellular network: voice and data and sms.

This persists until either the phone is restarted or put in-out of flight mode. It can last for hours, until I realise that the phone is not working or try to make a call.

This seems to happen if either:

• I turn on/restart the phone in a low signal area, or
  • I go into a no signal (e.g in the bush) area for a while.

Turning flightmode on/off does not always bring it back to life. Nor does a restart.
I perceive that it doesn’t work when in an area that the signal is weak, but normally usable. i.e. if the signal is weak then it’s just the same again.

• Placing a voice call results in “no signal”. SMS are not received.
  • Data indicator/button shows no data connection
  • Signal strength indicator shows empty. No G indicator
  • FlightMode indicator is off. BT is working. WIFI is connected.
  • I do have 4G and 3G signal

Until fairly recently I was blaming the network for this. It may have always done it. Or it may have arrived after V3.3
I perceive that my networks 3G voice performance got much worse some time after ~march this year, which might have made a pre-existing sfos fault more obvious.

Note when I say weak signal area, it is where I know I have problems. Where I am actually reproducing this issue, the phone is showing 25% signal level in 3G and 4G. It is not a no-signal area.

A similar issue is that sometimes trying to start a voice call in this spot results in “no signal” even though there was 50% 4G showing. This “no signal state” can sometimes last for minutes after the phone has been moved back to a strong signal area.

PRECONDITIONS:

Weak signal during restart / exit flight mode

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Restart phone in bedroom close to wall where signal is weak
  2. Signal indicator will show no signal, no G
  3. Move outside to clear, strong signal area for 15mins. Phone will not get signal (seemingly indefinitely).

EXPECTED RESULT:

SUGGESTION:

In lieu of an actual fix for this, the phone wake screen should have NO SIGNAL in giant letters across it.

It is annoying that there is no signal, it is unacceptable that my phone has been dead for more than 12 hours, without me knowing.

5 Likes

Did you restart network (in sailfish utilities) during flightmode? This works for me in most of such cases.

This was a never solved bug in the Xperia X. It started showing up to me when we started to use a multi-access-point SSID at work.

I have a similar problems with my XA2.

Usually in my flat, the signal strength of mobile network is only good close to the windows. The opposite for the Wifi’s signal strength. So I had some problems in the past. The signal-strength symbol haven’t really shown a problem.

But: With version 3.4.0, I often cannot browse web pages (it takes forever), but messaging is working. Or browsing works, but messaging apps don’t work.Often a restart is necessary - login/out of Wifi and mobile network does not work (haven’t tried restarting network).

I too have a similar issue where my phone will stop receiving calls and sms. Two things that seem to fix/pull messages in is a restart, or when I make a call to another person. I don’t get notifications of missed calls, however. Sometimes it’s location based, but it can also be random.

This is on Xperia 10 - 4.1.0.24

yep did it this morning too, so still happening on XA2 4.1.0.24

I have also sometimes had this issue with my XA2 H4113. But more common problem is no sound durring call.

I’ve had the network loss with all the Xperia phones using Sailfish. I mention the OS as it never happened to me with Android and I used the latter some longer trying to replicate this issue. Never happened.

1 Like

When you lose cellular network, what is the symbol at top right? is it a dashed “triangle” or a diagonally dashed square?

dashed square on my XA2.
German locale, it told me no SIM-Card inside and it will not work till next reboot.
Could not reproduce this, happens once or twice a day only since the last two weeks.

do we know what is the meaning of that dashed square? I have an XA2 and its cellular connection is rock solid, however another device unofficially ported has some connection problems and that makes me feel that might be a problem with the device partially and the tuning SFOS sub-module handling? Is there anyway to monitor logs on that?

Bad news for me: The cellular connection on my XA2 has disappeared completely (without warning)
It still sees my sim, but makes no connection, and finds no networks

Any ideas?
Has anyone else had this?

( apart from a) the radio is dead; b) reflash android and see)

I’ve got a similar problem on my Xperia X. Seems to be related to multiple SSIDs with the same name. Only a reboot fixes it, the network restart options in the settings loads/hangs for a few minutes and finishes without fixing anything.

when you losemobile connection, please check.your imei id, is it still displayed in system settings about page?

I have already reverted it to Android (and it’s still not working). In android *#06# does show IMEI’s

try to dial ##7378423## it will give access to more diagnostics, go to service tests and check the status of your device modules.

*#*#7378423#*#*

Interesting.
There is no option for anything like cellular modem under service tests (android 8.0.0)
It does say LTE/UMTS/GSM in service info->modes

not an expert, it is important to have an imei otherwise there is no chance to connect to a mobile network, check if there are tests that detect the sim card, another option is to try a different sim card preferably with a different mobile network, maybe change location if coverage is not that good?

Depending on the location I’m in it is either the one or the other. Being outside my country st the moment I see a dashed triangle.
Using the Sailfish Utilities does not help. I really need to restart the phone for it to find the network again.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think my conclusion is that the radio is actually dead. I do have IMEI in Android, SIM works in another phone, and it does see the SIM and identify my carrier. I just get no networks in android or sfos.