License type used (free vs. paid) isn't visible in the GUI

REPRODUCIBILITY: Always
OS VERSION: This goes back at least a few years
HARDWARE: Any officially supported device
UI LANGUAGE: Irrelevant
REGRESSION: No

DESCRIPTION:

Regularly user after user wonder why they can’t update to the next Sailfish X release, or why they can’t install Android App Support, or use predictive text input, and often the answer is that the device is using a free license. As far as I can tell, there is no way for the user to see the license type in use, and what it does or does not provide.

The Jolla account page does list the devices and their identifiers, but not the license type.

PRECONDITIONS:

Have a supported device using a free version of Sailfish X

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

Try to find the license type (free vs. paid) information of the device

EXPECTED RESULT:

Information of the license type of the device being available at least in one place, either on the device or on the account page.

ACTUAL RESULT:

No information is found.

MODIFICATIONS:

None.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

These are the places where I would expect to find the information in (one or several):

• Jolla | Devices page
  • Settings application
    • New item “License”
    • New field in “Device Information” (the [i] icon item, I have a Finnish locale)
  • Store application
10 Likes

Thanks @direc85, you make a good point and this is something we’d like to fix. I’ve added your post to our internal bug report, and if there’s progress to report on it we’ll do our best to share it here.

Just to add (for the sake of completeness and clarity) that this probably should fall under the “feature requests” category, since it’s functionality that’s missing rather than broken. But since we don’t have the “tracked” tag available in Feature Requests (probably we should) I’ll leave it under Bug Reports for now.

1 Like

Great news, thank you!