Jolla urgently looking for new ownership

Yes, classic documetary and still relevant.

1 Like

is there any update on this topics? I know there was a blog post promised on Twitter but never seen any - yet…

3 Likes

I think the Russian invasion really trashed Jolla’s plans, which were optimistic to begin with (car OS). I don’t know if they’d begun hiring again but before the invasion was COVID – though I suspect a lot of development is done remotely.

Without a partner (and needing one), it’s difficult to have a direction.

I see zero leadership at Jolla at the moment. The 4.5 release should have been delayed.
It is a major release that should have been promoted in the media. It was so buggy, I didn’t even submit it to Slashdot.

The last time Jolla had visible leadership & publicity was under Marc Dillon – ten years ago?

This is why I keep pushing for a Community Manager. There should be a symbiotic feedback between us & Jolla and there isn’t really. Maybe it will happen through the SailMates initiative.

8 Likes

Please explain where all that professional insight comes from. Are you or were you working at Jolla or just reading some blog and forum posts?

How do you actually push that CM proposal?

btw: I will rethink my plan to join SailMates.

6 Likes

Aside from what is publicly known, it’s all educated guesses – which is why I’m prefacing it with “I think” and “I see”.

I did meet one of the developers around 5 years ago and discussed Jolla’s business aims then.
One big question which we probably won’t get an answer to is… how much of the Rostelcom money is left? We didn’t see a massive increase in output by Jolla so I suspect there wasn’t a lot of new hiring. Of course, much of the money would have been needed to pay off creditors.

How do you actually push that CM proposal?

On this forum. I’m not really part of the community. I’m not a developer. And I’m definitely not here to impose solutions on people.
It makes me wonder though. The developers are used to struggling with obscure stuff without any leadership and minimal help. And whilst they’re the most important part of the community, I think we need more help for casual users too.

2 Likes

I see. A.k.a. “hot air”.

This thread hasn’t received any substantial news since the war started.

I’m sure Jolla/SFOS are well aware of the problem and will come forward in time. Not sure how many are actually Finns at Jolla/SFOS, but In Finland silence usually means that everything is OK or unchanged, but a lot of working-on-it can be involved.

That said, I’d love to get any update myself. But I don’t see how FUD about Jolla/SFOS leadership helps here.

Oh btw the last thread is here.

8 Likes

I do think we should let that discussion remain outside of this forum - I’ve a lot more to say about the theme, but the SF-forum should not be the place where we discuss it.

6 Likes

May SuSE be a possible candidate for collaboration/financing?
At least they were pretty much involved in the MeeGo development back in the good days…

5 Likes

They were bought by an Investment company. If there isn’t profit straight ahead I doubt they’ll do it. I can’t imagine how SUSE can profit from this.

Jolla needs to stand on their own feet. AppSupport for Automotive seems like a good direction, we all don’t know what’s happening in their strategic department. But I do know that Sailfish License model is very cheap for the users. I still believe that not introducing a subscription model with a reasonable fare like 5€/month was a mistake, as even this low fare would have put more money into Jolla’s pockets in the 1st year of use than buying a license now. They should make Predictive text and the update functionality free to enable devs to have more than 1 device, but otherwise this seems like a sane approach making the OS buisseness profitable.

Of course they could be an embedded contractor like Collabora & Igalia whatshowever, but they 1st need money to develop something the can sell but don’t have yet.

1 Like

It matters to me because I know that Russia turned into a totalitarian state again and there is not much hope that this will change in the next future. Never in my quite long life I wanted to support such a state, no matter where on earth it was located. I find it hard to swallow that there still are Russian investors in Jolla’s Board. One person from Daimler cannot make a difference and he cannot bring Jolla to the EU. Jolla should be brave and choose for the EU. (Why? Because the tech projects supported by EU, the grants and subsidies, they come from ordinary taxes, from member states and not from oligarchs like in the US and in Russia.) That means shaking the Russian investors of and starting new as a fresh company.
I am using Sailfish since Jolla 1 as daily device, I saw Sailfish improving. I love open source non-spying tech and I love Finnish design. And I love the freedoms we have in the EU. Therefore I think Jolla should change. I am waiting for it.

5 Likes

That is an important issue. Jolla cannot survive with these cheap license fees now and then. This system is a choice like Apple’s high prices of devices and Google’s surveillance capitalism are a choice. There were repeatedly discussions here about a regular fee but Jolla did not consider it.

2 Likes

There has been a voting by the community and they didn’t want a subscription model back then.

5 Likes

I guess we can all agree that war is a place where the young kill one another without knowing or hating each other, because of the decision of old people who know and hate each other, without killing each other.

We shouldn’t do these basterds a favor and discuss the reasons any further, because in fact there are just none.

We all want SailfishOS to survive, and that is where we should direct our focus.

15 Likes

What do you mean by that ?

If Sailmates is a place for the gifted ones to push the feeble working bees at Jolla it is maybe not my place to be.

I’m not sure I completely understood the metaphor, but Sailmates is not related to Jolla anyhow nor does it has any privilege over any other user in regards to the treatment Jolla gives to third parties.

You quoted my answer to @david.

In that context I think I made myself clearly understandable.

2 Likes

What in the world are you talking about. We’re trying to create some foundations for community work to take part outside of the Jolla context. My personal involvement is fueled by the need to not launch initiatives without a broader support in the community (for instance applying to funding which could be of utility to all just as my person).

This may or may not be of interest to Jolla but certainly has nothing to do with pushing anyone to do anything.

6 Likes

If Jolla were going to comment, I doubt they’d do so in the cesspit this thread has become.

Moderators – please nuke everything since and including my previous comment. My point has hopefully been taken note of and doesn’t need to stick around.

3 Likes

Who is presently Jolla’s owner? Who knows this? Sources?

5 Likes