Jolla urgently looking for new ownership

You quoted my answer to @david.

In that context I think I made myself clearly understandable.

2 Likes

What in the world are you talking about. We’re trying to create some foundations for community work to take part outside of the Jolla context. My personal involvement is fueled by the need to not launch initiatives without a broader support in the community (for instance applying to funding which could be of utility to all just as my person).

This may or may not be of interest to Jolla but certainly has nothing to do with pushing anyone to do anything.

6 Likes

If Jolla were going to comment, I doubt they’d do so in the cesspit this thread has become.

Moderators – please nuke everything since and including my previous comment. My point has hopefully been taken note of and doesn’t need to stick around.

3 Likes

Who is presently Jolla’s owner? Who knows this? Sources?

5 Likes

Oh, finally we are back on topic. Thank you @Seven.of.nine

We haven’t discussed weather balloons and the Japanese Russian war of 1905 yet. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

What do you mean by the last sentence?

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 40 hours.

The thread has been cleaned of political comments and statements. We kindly remind everyone to stay on topic and focus on the matter at hand. Furthermore, we would like to emphasize that there are numerous other forums available where political debates can take place. However, this particular forum is designated for Sailfish OS and Jolla-related discussions. Therefore, we ask that you refrain from introducing political content into the conversations here. Any political posts or comments will continue to be removed by the moderators.

26 Likes

hello

what about crowdfunding?
or just attract sort of individual investors? maybe it could work? (Id like to)

2 Likes

Like Unihertz does? They essentially pre-sale phones and get along with it

This was mentioned in one of the IRC talks, Jolla does not have this “option” yet. So maybe they are not interested, maybe the other shareholders are not interested, etc… (the part where users become shareholders).

Also, I don’t think anyone ever mentioned how Oy, the legal structure of Jolla, work in Finland.

1 Like

Well, sadly, they have the time to censor posts but not to answer questions asked.

4 Likes

Maybe it’s possible to convince Digia to support SfOS. This could eventually also help sorting out the Qt licensing issue:)

I you go up in the thread you can find this information.

1 Like

While Jolla has already ramped down its business to Russia in 2021, Rostelecom has been, and still is, indirectly a minority shareholder in Jolla. A solution is being sought to remove all ownership, and we will provide further update once things progress. Beyond that, Jolla has 70 other minority shareholders, primarily private (and non-Russian) investors from Finland and around the world, including the founders and individuals from the Jolla team.

Corporate restructurings are complex and take considerable time and effort, but we’re committed to resolving this. Meanwhile, let’s all enjoy the freedom of choice with Sailfish OS and make the community even stronger together :heart:

39 Likes

Thanks for clarifying and good luck!

2 Likes

Would be really nice if we can take over that minority share as a user collective (with no voting rights or divident payout). Sailmates perhaps. To show our love for what is done and fix this long running issue.

1 Like

IMHO ‘no divident payout’ YES, everything should be reinvested or used to maintain Jolla,
but ‘no voting rights’ NO. Why this?
A user collective should have the prosperity of Jolla in their approach, that leads to a better SFOS and also to less trouble with it.
Also it would be a better way to give user feedback and make Jolla care about it.

3 Likes

You are onto something. A long buried secret awaits you.