Jolla Love Day 2

When community goes wild for a 5€ optional subscription, do you think they would buy a 1-1.5K top of the line flagship device?
I think the biggest reason is this one.

7 Likes

No, I’d rather they offer us sailfish for a fee. However, i am questioning whether Jolla have assessed the opportunity cost of making their customers’ life less convenient is worth it, vis-a-vis the burden of allowing dual methods to access SFOS updates.
i.e. subscription [and] purchase.

my questions stand.

We see the Reeder collaboration and wish for Volla, Gigaset, Fairphone, or Punkt. But we don’t know who Jolla did talk to and we don’t know why talks did not result in phones with SFOS on them. Reaching a deal means agreeing on lots of things beyond initial interest in Sailfish OS.

I can see reasons not to disclose what was said, e.g. public relations. Jolla can freely choose to what to communicate and we don’t have a say - they are a company, after all.

12 Likes

I would guess the reason is reel is cheaper than volla, maybe at the same quality

Dear @rainemak and Jolla, I have a few questions, hopefully you can answer them in the Q&A:

• Can Jolla confirm that Xperia 10 V will have future SFOS 5, maybe QT 6 ?, and quality updates for a few years to come ?
  • There is a delay in releasing SFOS for 10 V, so I’m guessing there is some issues with hardware (as with echo in previous xperia phones). When the release comes, will there be any shortcomings (calls, camera, 5G, Volte, etc.) ?
  • Will the browser engine be updated to a quite recent version (115 today, and in 2 months it’ll be ESR 128)? Will browser updates come faster in the new subscription model as it is the core of what we do on the internet.
  • Will there be “Find my” service integrated in the subscription and added to the OS, including remote wipe/lock? It’s in your MDM framework but it’s important to have it offered by default by Jolla (maybe part of the subscription or a higher tier) to secure our data in case of a lost or stolen phone.
  • Will there be support for file syncing in nextcloud in the OS?
  • Will Jolla offer contacts/calendars (+ maybe file) sync, based on a Jolla instance of nextcloud? It can be a part of the subscription, and thus similar to Murena Cloud (for e/OS), and to Google, Apple, etc.
  • Will there be any noticeable improvements in image and video quality in SFOS using Sony devices? Maybe integrate some enhancement algorithms like in Android and iOS (or even Symbian like my old Nokia N8).
  • Any hope for allowing and providing the infrastructure for commercial applications in the Jolla store?
14 Likes

@orangecat probably these questions can be raised in the Community Meeting?

The problem is that SFOS calendar tends to sometimes skip reminders :slight_smile:

Do you really believe that those €5 a month from the same number of people as who so far has been paying one-time upfront fees can really bring an amount able to “keep the company alive”? With this tiny user base of just literally thousands of paying people, I’m not sure if it’ll be enough to hire one new developer.

As you might have noticed, the problem definitely isn’t with the amount. It’s not about the money.

1 Like

on the new Vollaphone…
If the license expires after 1 year, do I have to make a subscription or can I renew for 1 year?

The SFOS Version for the Vollaphone is a community port - it is not from Jolla.

This is an important fact to point out. We, as a community, tend to believe we’re more important than we truly are. They either need to find larger markets (even a niche market; capturing 1% of the mobile world would be a huge number in absolute terms), or they will eventually run out of money.

Xperia 10 ii SoC is Cortex-A73/A-53 based (2/1,8 GHz)
Xperia 10 iii SoC is Cortex-A77/A-55 based (2/1,7GHz)
UniSoc T606 is Cortex-A75/A-55 based (1,6GHz!)
HMD used the higher clocked T610 (1,8GHz) on the Nokia T20 tablet (2021/22). and i do not have much fun using it anymore. But HMD uses the T606 on their brand new „Pulse“ model.
I would guess a T606 device is at best as fast as a Xperia 10 ii, but far slower than a XPeria 10 iii.
I really hope the Jolla C2 uses a better SoC than T606…

The Jolla Mind2 uses another SoC: Rockchip RK3588 (Cortex-A76/A55 based).
perhaps a Firefly Board with NPU? Something like this? ROC-RK3588-RT/ROC-RK3588J-RT Octa-Core 8K AI Mini SBC with Ethernet Ports Powered by Rockchip RK3588_Embedded Boards_All_Firefly Store

4 Likes

As stated, they need to find their niche. I don’t care if they achieve “global success” or not as long as they make enough money to keep going.

2 Likes

Yeah, I checked later some comparisons and C2 (T606) is a bit worse than II, but with less power efficiency. :slight_smile:

It doesn’t have to be a flagship, but at least something like Reeder S19 Max Pro S Edge which has FullHD display and probably will have better chipset.

If it’s going to be an upgrade, to me it should at least be better than the 10 series that is considered mid to low end (and mid to high regarding starting price only).
I was thinking something like the 5 series to be honest as a “middle ground” between actual flagship and mid tier, but I guess I couldn’t be more wrong :smiley:

1 Like

Jolla Mind2 specs mention “40-pin GPIO”.
Doesn’t that mean that the hardware is probably one of the Raspberry Pi clones with Rockchip SOC?
Like this one:
Cool Pi 4 Model B
oops. Sorry this particular model did not have NVME M.2 :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

…and if that is the case, it would be a waste of energy to have such a powerful Linux card running 24/7 without running some other useful apps on the side, like home assistant or Kodi media player. since Rockchip cards tend to have capable video output… :grinning:

2 Likes

Maybe an orange pie.
But yes, what you’re saying makes sense!

2 Likes

I bought the voucher for C2, but got only the confirmation email with no voucher code. Is this the same for anyone?

Same. Confirmation with purchase Id. A link where I can see in my account that I paid. I think it is enough to match my next full order with this info, no other code needed.

1 Like

As I said: Apple is not sustainable, nor are the other big brands. On the other hand: Apple products are supported for years. The iphone 6s still gets updates.
Not to forget: telecom with its race to faster and stronger (5G) is also contributing to the waste problem.

1 Like