Jolla C2 Community Phone: your feedback is needed!

Not in Europe.

5 Likes

In most communities the amount of coders is small and they also have to work elsewhere for a living. Even jolla is small and would be nice if they could focus their efforts on the main OS instead of having to maintain apps that are not “strictly” necessary or can be found elsewhere.

There are million things in SFOS that need to be fixed and everything that can be “outsourced” should be taken off jollas hands. IMO at least.

1 Like

Had experienced a non-unlockable bootloader and failed the installation. To me official preinstallation and branding is the definitive factor, the hardware spec of C2 isn’t impressive after all. Somehow I think experience on C2 would be better optimised and more stable, maybe from the trailer, maybe since it’s Jolla-branded…can’t tell.

1 Like

I fully agree - having SFOS preinstalled is definitely a plus.

And I somehow share your hopes regarding optimization and stabilty because Jolla might have better access to the BLOBs

6 Likes

Where is the C2?
Wasn’t it going to be released today?

2 Likes

We are communicating delivery update on a separate thread. Please follow delivery update from here.

2 Likes

What the hell is wrong with you guys? Is impatience a global plague, or are you all just a bunch of spoiled brats?
Sorry, no offence. It just had to be said.

7 Likes

Maybe I missed it but where is the fingerprint reader located? :thinking:

1 Like

I’ve looked up the phone on the Reeder page (since it looks like it’s Reeder S19 MAX PRO S model (what a mouthful)), and it appears to be on the side, similar to Xperia 10.

Edit: Looking at the specs on this page, it looks like it doesn’t have one? Other pages claim it has one. I am a tad confused, not gonna lie.

3 Likes

I currently have a Pinephone.
It’s the worst mobile phone I’ve ever held.
Battery life is unbearable.
I can’t get rid of it fast enough.

I could (or should) have bought a sony Xperia III or even IV?
But I bought a voucher for the Jolla C2 instead,
because that was the only I saw in Jolla’s shop
and it seems like the future for Linux phones.

If I were spoiled I would have bought a Volla phone and went with Ubuntu Touch.

1 Like

Thank you for speaking up.

2 Likes

Thanks for the effort!
Looks like we are going to wait on a official reply. :grin:

I hope a fingerprint reader is there and preferably on the side so a privacy screen protector wont cause issues. :+1:

2 Likes

Your first mistake: Thinking PinePhone is a real phone and not a tinker toy / development device / tech curiosity.

3 Likes

Ideally, yes :smiley:
I’d love to have an official SFOS phone that also has wireless charging, but I don’t think that would fit the budget.

2 Likes

It is takes me back to the OpenMoko days… :thinking: :smiley:

4 Likes

Having the fingerprint reader in the side made good sense to me too.

It seems odd to me how many companies don’t include wireless charging when it was available on practically every lumia and it seems to be just a small coil of metal on the back.
I find its absence to be a strong purchasing disincentive on any handset.

I’m very interested to see the C2 phone and I will be strongly tempted to order one once I can see exactly what it is and what it does.

SFOS is a beautiful OS and a lot of things about it work really well, but with the 10 III it felt mismatched to the phone in a number of ways.

If the camera on the C2 is better than a Lumia 950, which is a tough act to follow even now, then I will be very interested in coming across.

2 Likes

As much as I like wireless charging it is still very inefficient way of charging and not the best for your battery. I remember that my Palm Pre already had it way back… still having the option is a good thing.

I am a 2 phone person, Work and Private. Not to worried about the camera because of that, but there is a nice trend going that the younger people take a legit camera instead of the phone for taking pictures.

2 Likes

Same too. I like to keep my private and work life separate for multitude of reasons.

2 Likes

You know, my experience was that wireless charging simply wasn’t as good as plugging in: that the battery would drain faster and that, even when you went back to cable-charging the battery retention was diminished.
It did feel like a noticeable difference, but you kind of dismissed it all the same.

My N9 was too smooth to stay on a charging pad for any length of time, so it was mostly spared that problem.

That is a nice trend to observe. Having pre-Windows 7 Phone ‘pocket-pc phones’ as well as an EVF ‘superzoom’ camera worked great for me for many years.
When you have small children though, having extra stuff to carry around is something that you’re keen to avoid.

1 Like

Sure, but I got used to just putting the Volla22 on the charging stand once every few days. So neat compared to cable.