Jolla C2 Community Phone deliveries

5G is anticipating on a higher need for energy when digital possibilities will expand. At the same time 5G will use this energy more efficiently, they say. Marketing? Indeed ever faster, ever more. I am satisfied with Jolla C2 having 4G.

2 Likes

It is mostly marketing since there is almost no difference for the end user, except the fancy 5G icon on the screen of the phone.

In fact, I am sure that we will never see a decent V2X deployment, at least in Europe, due to the lack of business case.

The number of antennas and base stations that would have to be deployed in combination with the added costs to the vehicles will never be justified over the advantages which is supposedly offering.

In closed environments, e.g. factories, campuses, ets. it will be surely viable but not for a complete deployment in a city or highways.

It will be more interesting to see the developments in the case of remote (IoT) locations in which a lot of devices still work under GSM.

Having said that, C2 having 4G is mooooooooooooore than enough.

3 Likes

My old X10 also has 4G and data speed is also enough for me, BUT: Will C2 support VoLTE?? Thats the question and not ‘does it support 5G’. Without VoLTE the phone switches back to 2G, that is no problem as long as 2G still exists. But it becomes a big problem as soon as 2G is shut down by providers to use the frequencies for more profitable 4G/5G.

3 Likes

I would not worry too much about it. Implementing VoLTE is purely a software thing and thus if not available from scratch, I am pretty sure that it will be activated sooner or later (hopefully sooner).

2 Likes

In this thread, rainemak was writing about the state of Volte implementation for C2 and there is a first batch of C2 being send to Volte testers in different countries across Europe. So yes it seems the Volte calling will be there.

About the 5G battery consumption what has to be taken into consideration is a real-world situation. In case of 5G you will probably have a worse coverage compared to LTE in many areas and due to higher frequencies used the signal is going to be attenuated more indoors. The weaker the signal, more energy is consumed by the modem

4 Likes

They asked for test volunteers and got them. There 's a video about such call on their channel. My guess is that they just need to test different configs for different providers.

3 Likes

Xperia 10 V got 5G, right? If so, I for one welcome it. My rural 4G mast at home has become weaker as of lately assumably for reasons not related to my current phone, and also in the denser areas the network feels like getting jammed during the rush hours like I think 3G did back in the day.