Is there a future for SailfishOS?

Free trade doesn’t mean that there wont me periods of instability. But they usually pan out -sooner or later. See what happened with gas prices when the war began and what is happening now. It settled.

I kind of believe (or maybe hope) that the situation with mobile operating systems will change also. Ie. big companies seem to be unhappy with the google apple situation (see epic vs apple and spotify complaining).

They caused it obviously but goes to show that more competition is needed. I hope they remember the lesson they got -not supporting lesser platforms for a fraction of the cost of the apple/google tax

And because of that i see a future in OSs like SFOS. We just need to fix a few things.

1 Like

Obviosly it doesn’t mean no bad times. But that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t manage risks of said bad time with free unregulated trade. Gas price leveling out now is not gonna help those who were struggling in the beginning and maybe lost their job cause couldn’t afford to drive to work. I’m not against international trade, I just think it must be more regulated.

And back to my original point, I would just love to see some company or community or even European state buying out Russians and givimg Jolla a chance, rather than Jolla going under or staying with Russians. And I do believe blind faith to free trade was part of why Jolla started partership with Russia, as with all the business EU has done with Russia

1 Like

You mean like basically everybody does with China?

I understand your arguments (meaning, from both of you) and they are praiseworthy, but it’s also dangerously naive to think that there are countries without any blood on their hands, as is the concept of ‘everyone playing by the same rules’. Not gonna happen, period. ‘When it comes to a narrow pass’, an old Arabic saying goes, ‘there is no friend or brother’.

1 Like

You might try the angelfish browser from chum. It’s really nice.

2 Likes

I am sorry I have no details. I am just recapitulating what Jolla’s leader said in the latest post about this subject. He mentioned the members of the Board.It seems to be complicated. The decision to search for Russian (and Chinese) investors was made in the past out of a lack of money after the tablet disaster.

Are there any scale settings in Angelfish? On the 10iii everything is way to big.

You can set the scaling in the qml runner that angelfish uses. It get’s installed when you install angelfish via chum.

3 Likes

As @poetaster said, and a nice value is 250. Tap Qt Runner on app grid, then you see ‘Default settings’. Tap there, Tap (enable) ‘Override DPI’ and set the slider to 250 or do some experiments what size you prefer. Then tap ‘Apply’ in upper right corner and close Qt Runner. Next time you start Angelfish, the font size should be ‘normal’.

Q: btw, now as Qt Runner is installed, what other apps can I now install with this new feature?

2 Likes

I second, or third, the request to make the OS open source in case Jolla goes bankrupt. @flypig, @Jolla, whoever else, still reading this forum inside Jolla, do your part to put pressure on the management team.

Selling the OS to… some entity would be the worst. Everyone’s talking about how bad the partnership with Russia was (in hindsight, of course), but imagine Jolla just outright transferring all the closed source parts to Russia for good.

1 Like

We are discussing a matter without facts. This is pure nothing from people not involved at all.

2 Likes

I think so far it’s just angelfish, noson-app, ktrip and kirigami gallery, but if we get kio working today, a bunch of other apps will start trickling in. I’m looking at some of the kde games …

2 Likes

Well, I’ll dispute that. We have lots of facts at our disposal. Jolla sells licenses for this OS. They certainly can’t be making a fortune on those. One fact. On several occasions in the past 2 years, as a ‘relative’ novice SFOS developer, I’ve managed to convince Jolla that a bug existed and they fixed the bug. Those be facts. Jolla makes a regular effort to meet the community. I can’t imagine Apple or Google doing that. I’m not sure what facts you mean? Maybe I’ve misunderstood?

8 Likes

You are right. I wanted to point at discussions in the company strategy of Jolla.

‘There, but for the grace of god, go I’ I’m stilll trying to comprehend why they haven’t gotten a grip on where the licenses ‘CLEARLY’ allow them to go … . I’m tempted to hire a lawyer to explain to them: yes, you can fix, backport, utilize, ‘this’ since the license from (19xx) is explicit. But, that’s like engineering … sometimes you have to go through X cycles to see the bug.

2 Likes

I think it’s a bit unfair to expect detailed bug reports from users that are just frustrated that BASIC things in their system, oftentimes a paid system, don’t work.

I don’t think this user is requesting for a phone that can take him or her to the moon, but a phone that does not fail to call (I repeat, a phone) one out of 15 times, or that one of 5 times doesn’t crash when opening an email.

Yes, there are many threads like this, but don’t you think there’s a valid reason for that? I’m still trying as hard as possible to stick with SFOS but man it is hard when people can just take their phone out and get in the London tube with two taps of their iPhone’s right button and you can’t even freaking call reliably (or you miss calls, like in my case). All while pretending to be an open-source-esque type of company while being quite isolated from the rest of the Linux-based OS efforts and having many closed-source components. You can’t have your cake and eat it.

Again, bug reports from just general users is not something typical and it just shouldn’t be expected, at least not with very basic functions of a telephone. At least this user didn’t write an abrasive post like the others, he/she just wrote that we’d love for SFOS to work well, but often it is not the case and many times FAR from the case.

9 Likes

It would be fine to have an option in bugger to automatically upload the relevant or all logfiles and all configuration info’s (except passwords, naturally), or even a better guide how to find the relevant datas and logs on the SFOS phone. So a less skilled but interested user (like me) could better contribute to troubleshooting.

Also I would like to have an option to connect my phone to a Jolla server for ‘real time supervision’, so that the system state is sent to Jolla in real time while provocating a malfunction or app crash, instead of collecting logfiles or sending some CLI response to the forum for debugging.

This should also work for ports. This is not an outrageous desire, because ports user are also troubleshooters and contributors to the SFOS project.

Well, if you want a company to have your phone connected to their servers and know everything that you do in real time, simply buying any android device should be more than enough :sweat_smile:

I know what you mean of course, I’m just joking!

Personally though, I would literally throw my phone in the trash if jolla ever introduced that feature even as an option.

3 Likes

I guess people who are into alternative operating systems are generally not too comfortable with too much “adult supervision” :grin:

1 Like

i would think that a most valuable information for the future would be:

when will there be a phone, i mean a one that one can buy in a shop !
on which can be applied a Jolla paid license SailfishOs

last one was Xperia Xiii, quite a few years ago with a delay such that it was not available in the shops any more when the OS appeared

The current system is not really convenient I have to admit but I don’t see much what Jolla could do about it. It takes usually a few months before Sony adds a new device to their Open Devices plus it takes some additional months from this date for Jolla to adapt SFOS to it, means it’s easily over a year when SFOS finally arrives on a new phone. By this time that device has already been replaced by a newer one and is only available second hand on ebay.
I usually try to circumvent this issue by buying a device in anticipation of a release and letting it collect dust for 6 months or so but I guess not everyone is as dedicated :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
It would be nice to see Jolla to, at least, confirm when they start working on a new device when the phone is still available in the shops to ensure I’m not just buying an expensive paper weight.
But I guess with Jolla’s history of scamming people out of their money they may be trying to avoid this by all means until they’re 100% sure they can actually deliver.

5 Likes