Is there a future for SailfishOS?

IMHO download and archive all flashing images and keep old ones in reserve, after the next update it may be that SFOS becomes unusable. No one knows what they will come up with next and what will come as a surprise to everyone.

Jolla, to date, has been careful to not overdo the security theatre, but a least take a crack at application level jailing. While I’m still unhappy with how firejail, upstream, handles dbus, I’m happy the jailing is there (as a lazy dev.).

I hope we can drive development where inter-operation, d-bus, is concerned.

9 Likes

Hi Luddwig,

just to mention, I don’t have any of these issues with my XA2. I regularly browse with the Brave (Android) browser and this (certainly) uses quite some memory. Works flawlessly (most of the time). Contacts are synced with CardDAV and at one time I had double (triple, … octuple) entries. Holy cow, but it worked (synced) again after deleting them. Very seldom the cursor in the sms or brave app cannot be repositioned; dnormally it works again after switching apps.

As someone has recommended, I’d reflash your phone. Your issues are not normal.

Cheers, Tom

PS. @attah: Brave is better than Firefox, with the latter you only support an incompetent greedy management (and who would do that :crazy_face:). The stock browser is not good enough.

1 Like

The future of Sailfish and Jolla depends on Jolla’s own plans and these are not known.We only can guess. Three things are limiting the chance of becoming a real alternative to Apple and Google: that we have to flash ourselves, that Jolla is owned by Russians. Jolla has to serve the demands of it’s Russian owners. This is probably the reason that Sailfish developed further with corporations in mind and not to the needs of individual consumers. Buying out is very expensive, so that will not happen I suppose. The third is Sony with devices that are only available for a short time.

I second that. While I’m too disappointed with dbus access limitations, in general I’m quite OK with the existence of Sailjail. I just very much hope that it won’t further “evolve” to BlackBerry 10-like “oversecured” levels.

All this was the case when the J1 was released…

There were changes in ownership that were posted in a thread around here some time ago. Dont remember the details.

Consumer and corporation needs aren’t that different.

HW is a huge problem. Since the beginning.

Slow or no updates in certain components of the OS is what is holding it back IMO.

And it needs a visual refresh. Or polish if you like.

You mean?

Still Sony devices aren’t that much available but this switch to xperia devices was and is best idea so far (If it comes to hardware). If we don’t have our own platform since Jolla C, sony it is.

SFOS is one of the most beautiful OSes I worked with. But I would like to see it look even better for sure. But it doesn’t seem to be happening anytime soon. Good, as it means that jolla is moving resources into more mattery matters

2 Likes

And it needs a visual refresh. Or polish if you like.

Why? One of the reasons why i flee from Android was they changed UI-Elements with every Major Update (Android 8 to 9, 9 to 10…etc) which is the real annoyance for me.

11 Likes

I’d rather Jolla spent their time and resources squashing some of the more irritating basic functionality bugs than making UI or eye-candy changes.

16 Likes

The latest info we got was: there are two representatives of Rostelecom in Jolla’s Board and one Russian private investor. The Russian State is for about 45% owner of Rostelecom. This makes it impossible to get grants from the EU and this will not change in the nearby future.
I like Sailfish, it’s my daily driver for about 10 years, but I don’t know other persons who use it or are even interested in it. The promises we got during the first years of Jolla still are not fullfilled (mirroring, making video calls, etc.). So it’s not attractive enough for them.There has been progress, but with every new device there are set backs with bugs too.

5 Likes

Oh no please not! The present UI is the best I know (and I know others!), there are other much more important things to do! It was often discussed here.
The system as it is intended is very good, but it has some little bugs that needs to be fixed, what is more important. Please do not destroy a very good UI concept only to do ‘something new’ like the managers that destroy our world.

9 Likes

making video calls, etc

@Kea What kind of video calls do you mean?

I make video calls successfully with stock browser and my friends private Jitsi server, it could be better, but works.

edit: i can’t cite here with stock browser as on laptop, only copy & paste!

1 Like

The only thing that I want from the UI is to “push” the app screen up, right in between notifications and multitasking. Just like MeeGo, nothing more.
Or at least as an option to have it like this.

2 Likes

Thank you for your great response!!! I think reflash is a great idea. By this I can fix some bugs and it is a sort of “last chance” for SFOS and me. :wink:

An Backup of SFOS accounts, apps and settings I can do using OS functions. But how to backup android apps. Do I have to backup android manually like in Backup of Android Apps - fails - #10 by WT.Sane ?? I did allready manually backup of Signal, OSMAnd and Skytube without a problem.

@kea so how much exactly do russians own of Jolla? I’m daydreaming that Finland or EU would buy out Russians. Is there any way to sell Russians shares to regular individuals? I’d buy some stocks ( if I had any money)

1 Like

i’m not sure that nationalising Jolla is a hopeful or promising future to wish for SFOS!

If SFOS cannot survive in the market then the reality is that is has no future to offer us, its customers.

i do want to see a post-rostelcom future for Jolla, but being a plaything for EU committee’itus is not what I want to see.

3 Likes

It’s not really a nationalization if state doesn’t own majority. Besides, it is common in Finland for state to own part of companies, despite of our right wing parties. Besides, communication infrastructure is a matter of national security, and if attack of Russia has proven anything it is that we can’t blindly rely on free global trade. And if there is a problem with EU, it is that they blindly listen to corporate lobbyists.

5 Likes

Its not a free trade issue. This is what happens when you do business with totalitarian regimes. Its something democratic countries should look into (cutting ties with countries like that).

You cant make a good deal with a bad person.

@ApB that was kinda my point? Free trade doesn’t work in a world where everyone is not playing by the same rules, so government intervention on critical infrastructure might be necessary to stop said totalitarian regimes from aquiring them. Obviosly Jolla isn’t critical but as I said I was daydreaming. But the current state was definetly risen from free trade, all the way to back when google was allowed to grow too big.

1 Like