Is the "new" Gecko engine used in SilicaWebView?

Hi there,

is the “new” Gecko engine used in SilicaWebView in Sailfish OS 3.4 or is it still the Webkit one from Qt?

If not (what I think) is there any documentation / tutorial / example available how to use the Gecko engine inside own Sailfish OS app project?

Hope that somebody can help and I don’t need to figure it out by investigating the email app code :wink:.

Thanks

2 Likes

Why do you think so?

From the changelog:

• [email] Use the Gecko WebView to display HTML emails.

But there was also a release just some minutes ago, which updates the user agent string. Seems they forgot this in the previous 3.4 release.

EDIT: Usage: There is a very short example in the README. Maybe you get some more hints in the qml files of this dir.

1 Like

Sailfish OS 3.4 has Gecko 52, this is for the next release (which is awesome btw, 60.9 is only from 1 year ago!).

8 Likes

Wow, at this pace we will soon have a rendering engine from the future!!! :crazy_face:

10 Likes

is this the reason why all the html mails transform themselves into a browser?

This is the reason for changing the html engine in the mail app. Now Jolla have no dependencies to the old QT WebView so they can move on. But the QT WebView is no only bad. There are some settings (the “experimental WebView settings”) maybe missing in the homebrew html engine. We will see what we missing later then.

Hi there,

I figured out to run the Gecko WebView in an app, but have some problems.
Everything runs fine if I start the app from SDK on the device.
But if I start the app on phone it crashes. Think some library linking is missing maybe?!?

I am not that RPM packaging guru!
Maybe someone with more experience in that can take a look at my example project on GitHub:

Thank you for your help!

1 Like

Hi there,

found the problem myself. Everything is right with packaging.
The problem is the desktop file:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
#X-Nemo-Application-Type=silica-qt5
Icon=harbour-webview
Exec=harbour-webview
Name=Gecko WebView

When I comment out “X-Nemo-Application-Type=silica-qt5” everything seems to work.

Thanks…

I’m also playing with gecko webview. But it keeps crashing in the emulator. On the device it works.

Does your code also work in the emulator?

If I embed this WebView, are the Apps compatible with harbor?

This was really helpful - now the webview should really be usable without crash.

One more thing I found out inspecting the email app qmls: The webview behaves better if placed in a WebViewPage (another component from the same package) and in a WebViewFlickable (same, extending SilicaFlickable).