Is it safe to update my xperia x to version 4?

I use SF since it came out for the Xperia X and found every update to be a vast improvement. You will always read a lot of complaints about things not working properly but you will have to dig deep in the release notes to find all the improvements and bug fixes.

I once forced officially incompatible patches into my system and had to reinstall.

I personally stay away from early access releases.

1 Like

@WT.Sane, it depends on the use cases. As mentioned before I have an equal Xperia X device as a test device and when I can not successfully go through my testcases there, I simply do not upgrade.

1 Like

Yes, forgetting the credentials was a big problem in older version. It seems to be repaired now. It works good now, and also establishing the connection is much faster than before. For this a big Thank you to Jolla!!!

1 Like

one thing i saw in the post about the update is that i need to uninstall sysmonitor, why? i literally have it on 24/7

any clue of the above? i want to do the update before the newest one comes out of early access

Does this

answer your question?

1 Like

that is 4.1 not 4.0.1

4.0 or 4.1 does not make any difference in this case. The “breaking” changes where introduced in 4.0.
Just make sure you have installed the latest version of System Monitor before upgrading. And in case you are still using the original version from Basil, there should be no problem at all.

1 Like

i really cant tell which version i have because it says i have it installed on both of them in storeman

Just consult the about page: 0.6-46 is my latest version. If it does mention my name you will probably have the original version from Basil of a fork from Rinigus. Which have also no issue.

I’m in a somewhat similar situation. When 4.0.1.45 was released I downloaded it, but then decided not to install it as using the wifi hotspot was the only internet connection I had, so I wouldn’t risk bricking the phone.
Now my XA2 single SIM is on 3.4.0.24 and 4.0.1.45 is ready to install on the phone. Is that safe to install or is there a way to go directly to .48? Delete the downloaded package or something maybe?

@tanghus: No need to install 4.0.1.45 - just search for a later update (that is: 4.0.1.48) with the pulley menu of Settings > Sailfish OS updates. Download that. And install. Once done, your phone will be ready for the 4.1.0 update.

Problem is that I had already downloaded 4.0.1.45 and now the only entry in that pulley menu is “Install”.

Hi @tanghus!
Maybe you could try “sfos-upgrade” from openrepos by olf. I always do my upgrades with that. With that you can specify the version you want to upgrade to.
Hope I could help. Brocheolus.

edit: You just have to do a bit of reading how to use it but if I´ve managed it then you will also do.

2 Likes

Thanks, I will have a look at it.

just pulled the trigger and its working, have not found any difficulty yet, atm i’m updating my brand new 10ii(literally take days for some reason) cant wait to get that on sfos and move from the aging xperia x

1 Like

so after using 4.0.x for a while i can certainly say that i wish i stayed in 3.
this update made my phone almost unusable, it is very very slow now. in 3 it was stable and smooth as a daily driver.

On my two phones, 4.1 works better than 4.0 did in the time I used it. I had my problems on 4.0 and so I did activate early access updates in my Jolla account and updated first to 4.1.0.23 and a week later to 4.1.0.24. Both phones now running perfect.

@windir Maybe you should create a separate topic describing your problems in more details? I’m still on 3.4 and your comment doesn’t exactly make me want to upgrade to 4.x.

@tanghus it works just much slower don’t know why