[release notes] Kvarken 4.1.0

No issues updating Gemini PDA :+1:

Though, my issues with Nextcloud still exist :cry:

1 Like

Anybody having an issue with the screen going black when replying (and sometimes opening) an SMS message after the upgrade to 4.1.0? If so, any workaround or resolution for that issue?

EDIT: For anybody else experiencing a black screen upon text input (all Sailfish and Android apps), I found a resolution to the problem. While I had uninstalled OKBoard before starting the upgrade via rpm -e --noscripts okboard-full, this apparently left something behind that caused issues. To fix, I reinstalled okboard via pkcon install okboard-full, followed by pkcon remove okboard-full to remove it once more. After this procedure was done, text input worked as it should.

1 Like

My phone is stuck in the black screen showing the Sailfish OS logo and text and the progress bar that went to max. It is there now for 15 minutes. Should I enforce a reboot by pressing the power button?

On X10ii, I had the screen going black (not 100%, can still see what’s on the screen), after playing with the camera and going to the home screen.
Phone stuck, and I had to reboot with volume up + power.

Wait for another 15 minutes, just to be on the safe side. Then use the Power key.
If this is Jolla C then that kind of slowness is familiar. Xperias should complete the update faster.

1 Like

@adekker: Thanks for reporting. I have removed the mention of System Monitor from the release notes now. Apolologies for the incorrect claim in the notes. The are indeed copy-pasted from the release notes of the previous release. We do not have resources for testing 3rd party apps and their different versions and combinations. What we can do is to remove (or add) the apps that do not cause or do cause problems - based on your reports. If this is done in the early access phase then most of the users will not see the incorrect disclaimers.

5 Likes

Power key didn’t do anything even pressing for 10+ secs.
So I pressed Vol+ and Power for several seconds and after a reboot everything seems to be fine.

Thanks for the support!

Btw it’s a XA2+

2 Likes

Things seems working quite fine on X10ii. I tested my keyboard layouts app in aarch64 and it’s a joy.

Thanks Jolla, great job :smiley:

Waiting for the update with the android layer and predictive text.

2 Likes

What are the chances to brick an XA2 while testing not uninstalling packages before system update? I mean, where not even reflash would work?

@amaretzek: I have never experienced myself nor heard of such a total breakage. Flashing is a powerful tool.

1 Like

WhatsApp starts only once is fixed at least for me with 4.1.0 and Android 10 app support!

I (try to) maintain YTPlayer, I’ll have a look at this (not today, but soon). Thanks for the tip!

Edit: I installed it and (sigh) entered my API keys. I was able to browse categories, but couldn’t play any videos, because youtube-dl is too old (it can’t extract stream maps). I have only .so.68 libs but didn’t have to symlink the .so.66 ones. I don’t know what’s (not?) going on, and I don’t seem to be affected, so I can’t really dig deeper… Installing harbour-ytplayer did install a few dependencies, though, but I can’t recall which ones anymore.

@jovirkku can the XA2 no call audio bug please be added to the XA2 known issues section of the release notes?

4 Likes

So Jolla Maps is no longer available? (10ii)

Seems also I cannot log into Facebook (Facebook states this platform is not supported at the moment). Google login was also tricky as the acceptance button for stuff was rendered very small in the embedded browser.

Most of the basic stuff seems to work. I can’t figure out how to use the fingerprint reader effectively. On Android I would just hold it on the button and the device would unlock almost immediately. With SF I seem to mostly be getting the code unlock and sometimes the fingerprint seems to work. Screen side swipes are a bit finicky.

Sailfish looks gorgeous on the 10ii (my only other reference is a Jolla 1). Much nicer design than Android. I think there could be a greater niche in selling to style conscious forward thinking trend setters.

the same issue here (Xperia 10)

I dug a bit deeper… I did ldd /usr/share/harbour-ytplayer | grep libicu and got this (save a typo or two):

libicui18n.so.68 => /usr/lib/libicui18n.so.68 (0xf54fb000)
libicuuc.so.68 => /usr/lib/libicuuc.so.68 (0xf53ad000)
libicudata.so.68 => /usr/lib/libicudata.so.68 (0xf34e9000)

Are you sure you are running the Openrepos version? (It seems to have outdated harbour-ytplayer, though… Gotta update it soon.) Anyway, let’s continue this discussion over at Openrepos, so this thread stays better in topic :slight_smile:

Not sure if Jolla Maps was ever available to other devices than JollaPhone. I think if you still have your JollaPhone around, you could maybe get the app from there and install it on your other phone(s), but I’m not sure how Xperia 10II reacts to 32bit programs?

Sorry for the noise, seems like I jumped to the old Jolla store version for some reason. I could install 0.6.17 without issue.

1 Like

@jovirkku
Same counts for harbour-defender.
As mentioned here

and maybe follow up here
https://openrepos.net/content/peterleinchen/defender-ii-updated-encrypted-devices-originated-nodevel

Or even here

Self tested now again with this release on a X and it boots up just fine.

So would you please think about removing this warning as well, please?
Or maybe link to those informations and put a warning that version >=0.4.1 is needed? (or is that not already blocked within some patterns-sailfish package?)

and to avoid confusion, just seen after finishing this post here
https://openrepos.net/comment/37441#comment-37441

2 Likes

Well, you can increase the root volume size quite easily; when using this guide not on a freshly flashed device, check explicitly that there is enough free space for shrinking the “home” LVM volume.

But I never understood why Jolla has not increased the default rootfs size long ago, it is a trivial change and already in their git (but IIRC unmerged) for long.

6 Likes