Installing `mesa-llvmpipe-libGLESv2`causes stuck decryption screen on reboot

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%
BUILD ID: 3.3.0.16
HARDWARE: XA2 Plus (dual sim)
UI LANGUAGE: English (US)
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): ?

DESCRIPTION:

Because it seemed fun (and convenient) to me to develop directly on the phone (mainly to play with QML and Common Lisp (ecl and eql from OpenRepos)) I had to install some dependencies required by the qarma.pro file.
One of these dependencies was qt5-qtgui-devel which has as its own dependency mesa-llvmpipe-libGLESv2. This last package overwrites the existing /usr/lib/libGLESv2.so.2.0.0 which lead to this bug report.

(The packages are from the default Jolla repos on a fresh phone, not from OpenRepos or something else!)

PRECONDITIONS:

None.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Flash phone with a new installation,
  2. From the terminal or a remote session install:
    2.1) devel-su pkcon install mesa-llvmpipe-libGLESv2, or
    2.2) devel-su pkcon install qt5-qtgui-devel,
  3. Reboot phone, enter correct security code,
  4. Observe the infinite spinner.

EXPECTED RESULT:

The telephone shows the normal lock screen.

ACTUAL RESULT:

The telephone keeps showing the decryption unlock screen and the spinner keeps spinning.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

The telephone is remotely reachable (if enabled beforehand) and has most services running. The sailfish-unlock-agent seems stuck:

$ systemctl list-jobs
JOB UNIT                          TYPE  STATE  
134 sailfish-unlock-agent.service start running

If you installed just mesa-llvmpipe-libGLESv2 from step 2.1 then putting back the old libGLESv2.so.2.0.0 fixes everything again on a reboot. If you installed qt5-qtgui-devel from step 2.2 then there’s more issues (which I haven’t further explored).

I do not think packages installed from the default repos should do this. I do agree one is on his own when installing packages from unsupported repos.

2 Likes

Also see Stuck on spinner after entering security / decryption code

Please see also here on TJC
https://together.jolla.com/question/229060/hybrismesa-package-replacement-maybe-screwed-up-my-system/

Thanks, I did do a lot of searching but never came across that post.

You have this thread here also :

why the hell…
if you want so, create chroot and install devel stuff there. it’s common practice for on-device development

1 Like

Yes, not my brightest moment but I think it’s good to have it out here on the forum so others in a similar situation will know they can possibly recover or at least salvage their home directory.