Incoming voice calls don't get rejected / hangup (same bug via the UI and programmatically)

Thank you @flypig. After a bit of investigation from my side, I’m proposing the following PR :

It’s fixing the issue for me and the caller is properly sent to the voicemail.

Let’s wait and see the comments from review…

8 Likes

Amazing, thank you @dcaliste. This falls well outside my area of understanding, but hopefully @slava will be able to take a look.

1 Like

@dcaliste, @flypig Amazing! Thank you so much!

@dcaliste Can I help with further tests somehow?

What device do you have ? An arm64 one or a armv7hl ? Is running 4.3 ? I can backport the patch and compile a package for you if you want to test it.

@dcaliste Yes, please, I would love to test it! I’ve got XA2 Ultra Dual-SIM, i.e. armv7hl. It is running 4.3.0.12.

Thank you.

Here is ofono recompiled with the patch for SailfishOS 4.3 on armv7hl : https://share.mailbox.org/ajax/share/03c534dd0d6a2e4f3dbb453d6a2e45aca33b69f7a902bbfd/1/8/MzQ/MzQvNQ

Use it with caution. One can still go back to Jolla ofono version with devel-su pkcon install ofono. Hopefully it will solve the issue for you also.

5 Likes

@dcaliste YES, this is a 100% fix! Now every single time it works exactly as it should, i.e. the caller is sent to voicemail. No erroneous “quick busy tone”, no phantom double ringing. I tested it literally dozens of times, with a 100% positive result.

Thank you so much for your help. I hope that it’ll be included in the upcoming OS updates by default…

1 Like

That’s good news actually !

About the patch, I’ve no idea if it will be included in the next release, maybe more probably in the next next one. @slava is currently reviewing it, discussing some technical hickups in its current form. Nothing blocking, but one needs to be precise and correct.

2 Likes

Of course, I fully understand.
Anyway, some further tests (calls from other networks and several different phone models) fully confirm that this is a 100% solution. Once again, thank you very much!

P.S. If OS update 4.4 comes without this patch, do you think it’ll be safe to install the one you’ve compiled for 4.3? Or should it be recompiled for 4.4?

No, one needs to recompile. In 4.3, the patch has to be applied in sailfishos/ofono, but in 4.4, the code has been out sourced and moved to a dedicated package : mer-hybris/ofono-ril-plugin. I can provide the package if needed. No problem.

@dcaliste Then I’ll be extremely grateful if you could share it compiled for 4.4…

Due to enormous amounts of unwanted calls I fully rely on ability to block such calls (I’ve made an application for it which I’ll make available soon). For that single reason I kept using BB Passport until now and refrained from switching to SFOS as daily driver. Your patch made me fully switch to SFOS yesterday. So when 4.4 comes out, this patch will be the very first thing for me to apply…

Thank you!

1 Like

@dcaliste Sorry, one last question. As my Jolla 1 (SFOS 3.4) also suffers from this problem, is it OK to install the patch supplied by you on it, or does it also need a version compiled specifically for OS 3.4?

No it would be better with a dedicated version. I’ll see to compile one in the coming days.

1 Like

That’s fantastic, thank you very much Damien.

Here are the Ofono packages with the patch for armv7hl devices:

• for Jolla1 at version 3.4.0.24 with ofono-1.23+git19.
  • for other armv7hl devices at version 4.3.0.12 with ofono-1.23+git35 (the above link has been removed, I messed up a bit with names).
1 Like

Thank you Damien! Now my Jolla1 is fixed as well!

BTW. I’ve just applied the 4.3.0.15 OS update. It complained about possible issues with ofono, so I reverted it to the default version. The update went smoothly and then I reinstalled your ofono patch. All without any problems. Once again, thanks a lot!

1 Like

I tested it on my XA2 running 4.3 with Vodafone Germany. You’ll hate me for that and maybe someone will feel obliged again to call me an idiot.

It just works as expected.

Do you mean without the patch ?

That’s expected. It’s dependant on the operator of the number calling you, not even your own operator. For me, the bug is triggered when calling from my work land line (not RTC one, it’s VoIP actually) but it is not when calling the same phone with the same mobile operator from my home landline (not RTC neither, another VoIP one).

As far as I understand, it’s a bug (or not ?) on the operator side that can be mitigated by using the REQUEST_HANGUP_WAITING_OR_BACKGROUND instead of a plain REQUEST_HANGUP. From the knowledge gathered by Mozilla on FirefoxOS, it seems that Android is always using the WAITING_BLA_BLA version instead of the plain HANGUP for incoming calls. The patch is actually doing this also.

Thanks. I just tested again. SF on Vodafone Mobile.

• Telefonica Mobile
  • Telecom Mobile
  • Vodafone Landline (VOIP)

Rejection and Mailbox work. No patches installed. XA2, 4.3, Germany