Incoming voice calls don't get rejected / hangup (same bug via the UI and programmatically)

Never tried this before, so I just tried on my single sim 4.3 XA2. On EE in the UK if you reject the call the caller on the other end (well, me on my iphone) is told that the number he has dialled has either not been recognised and the caller should redial the correct number, or the number dialled (i.e. Me on my SFOS XA2) has been disconnected. Although the SFOS XA2 does indeed reject the call, niether of the messages relayed to the caller at the other end is correct - and may well result in a genuine caller thinking my phone is no longer in use and disconnected so they won’t try again. So whether this is a SFOS bug in what signal is sent to the mobile operator when a call is rejected, or its a mobile operator issue, or both - I don’t know, but whatever it is its not right. Does anybody else have this behaviour?

OK, so here’s the promised video showing this amazing phenomenon. (sorry for that heavy blur but there were way too many personal details on both phones’ displays to hide in some other way).

See how when I reject the incoming call on Sailfish everything looks like if the call really got terminated (not only ringing stops and the call UI closes, but there’s a message on top of the screen that the call has ended). However, note how on the calling phone (on the right) the outgoing call remains active as if nothing happened. After a few seconds the call magically starts ringing again on the Sailfish phone, this time with two different ringtones playing simultaneously. Only rejecting the call another time really ends it (but still not the way it should be: there’s a beep-beep-beep tone like in case of a network error, whereas if I reject calls on this SIM card in any other phone or this same XA2 with Android, the caller always gets forwarded to voicemail).

That very same SIM card, tested in many different phone models, and even in the very same XA2 Ultra but reflashed to Android, NEVER exhibits such behavior and all calls get rejected normally.

So, even if it possibly (but unlikely) has anything to do with my network operator, it still only manifests itself on Salifish OS and NOT on any other tested phone model or OS. Any ideas?

I’ve just entered Android settings, checked ringtone settings there and identified that this second ringtone being played simultaneously with my SFOS ringtone is the default Android ringtone. So maybe it is the Android support stuff doing all this mess.

I know this comes from a far but I do remember this bug from the first Jolla phone. It is clear for me now and it was realllly annoying. It is at my parents house at the moment and has not been updated since 2015/2016, but I can try to reproduce this weekend.

1 Like

@juusovalentin Thank you, you’re absolutely right! How could I forget to test it! I’ve just grabbed my trusty Jolla 1 with the last OS version available for it, i.e. 3.4.0.24, and guess what… obviously this bug is also present there!

So this is an old bug that’s been in SFOS for years…

Sadly, it doesn’t seem to be of much interest for Jolla to fix it… And for me, this single thing alone (i.e. inability to automatically reject unwanted/obtrusive calls) makes it impossible to make a SFOS phone my daily driver. Which I’ll truly regret, as otherwise it’s a nice platform that I would really love to use.

(again, apologies for this heavy blur but it was the quickest way to hide personal data).

I agree, annoying bug. I’ve never tried the red button (usually I just ignore the incoming advertising calls by silencing the ringtone with a swipe up), but it actually triggered twice (on two tries) on my JollaC (one SIM inserted, French telco, called from a landline).

I’ll investigate further, that’s bad behaviour : /

3 Likes

I’ve checked ofono logs, but can’t find anything of much interest there. Each time the call is reported as disconnected/hung up, while in reality it isn’t. My guess is that it must be sending some wrong signal to the mobile network which causes that the network doesn’t terminate the call. Also the second time, albeit the call finally gets hung up, the signal sent to the network must also be somehow erroneous considering that it results in “beep beep beep” error tone on the caller’s side rather than busy tone (or call forwarding e.g. to voicemail, if configured) as it is on any other device/OS.

This bug depends on the calling parties setup, not on the actual simcard in the phone.
When calling my xperia 10ii from e.g. a german Telekom D1 mobile, all works well, the call won’t come back after manually blocked. When calling the Jolla phone from a Vodaphone VoIP fixed line, the ring tone will cease for the caller after the first blocking attempt, but the call will keep comming in again an again. If picked up it would still connect. It doesn’t seem possible to block Vodaphone voip-calls at all. For me this seems rather like some buggy VoIP implementation. Maybe other mobile OSses have taken some counter measuers which Jolla didn’t? Out of curiosity - is this bug also present on the N9, from which -to my knowledge- Jollas ofono stack derived?

1 Like

That is not correct. I’ve used my wife’s phone for all tests, i.e. I always used the same network, same SIM card, same phone. It works correctly on all other phones and OSes (two different BlackBerry BB10 models, iPhone 6s, and some more), and even on that very same XA2 reflashed with Android and Lineage OS, it doesn’t work SOLELY on XA2 with SFOS 4.3 and the Jolla 1 with SFOS 3.4. The calling party is always the very same phone, operator and SIM, results are different depending solely on the target OS. So no, it is not calling party related. Nor it is related to VoIP, because my wife’s phone certainly isn’t VoIP.

P.S. I’ve just tested it with regular landline (normal PSTN, not VoIP). Same result. Works correctly with all other devices and OSes, fails only with SFOS.

Call your sailfish phone with e.g. an iphone on t-mobile and you’ll see that the call is rejected instantly. Could also be the calling hardware? Don’t know. Can you test if the N9 rejects calls properly?

There is no ‘normal’ PSTN anymore at least in most parts of Europe.

That’s PRECISELY what I’ve been doing from the beginning, and what you can see on both movies that I posted. It is the iPhone 6s with T-Mobile SIM card that I use to call my XA2 (SFOS 4.3) and my Jolla 1 (SFOS 3.4), both with T-Mobile SIM card. And, as you can see on the videos, the call isn’t correctly rejected and comes back after a few seconds.

No, it cannot be the calling hardware, because a call from the very same iPhone 6s with same T-Mobile SIM card gets correctly rejected on any other phone that I own, and even on the very same XA2 when reflashed to Android or Lineage.

No, I can’t because I sold my N9 around 2013 or so.

Polish Orange network still has regular PSTN service, that I’ve been subscribing to since 2007 because it is used by my home’s surveillance system and the monitoring station. I also have ADSL service (called Neostrada) served on that PSTN line.

Sorry, then I can’t help. I can indeed reproduce this issue with a seldom used landline phone, but in most cases it seems to work for me since I never noticed this bug by myself (and it doesn’t seem a priority to most forum members since barely anyone complained before). But maybe a suggestion: I personally almost never reject calls but rather switch my phone to completely silent - the caller could also call again when rejected, what would be annoying as well. I guess that’s the better procedure if you cannot answer a call instantly.

There is in the UK at the moment. I even have one of these, for fun, connected to it and working (although converted from pulse to tone dialling).
images

I do not seek help of anyone but Jolla (in terms of fixing this issue). I don’t think anyone else can do it.

This forum is called Bug Reports and it is meant to report bugs. So I reported it, i.e. used this forum for what it is meant for.

It is not true that this function is not important for other users. There is another thread (and several similar older threads on TJC and TMO) where many people request the ability to block / reject unwanted calls. Such function isn’t doable with this bug present because - as I described in that thread - it also makes it impossible to hangup calls programmatically.

Completely switching the phone to silent definitely isn’t an option if one also gets important calls that cannot be missed.

Long story short, rejecting calls is the most basic phone functionality that works on ALL other existing phones and mobile operating systems. There is no sane excuse for it not working correctly on SFOS. Jolla, please fix it.

Well, as I said, works for most users most of the time.
Why don’t you ask on the ofono mailinglist at ofono/ofono.git - Open Source Telephony file a support request at zendesk (https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us).

Can’t you coprehend that this is a “Bug report” forum meant to report bugs, so this bug was simply reported here as intended?

Just tried to help, since this bug only appears in certain settings and cannot be reproduced easily.

Well, 4 people in this thread could reproduce vs 7 who couldn’t. So it’s not as rare and hard to reproduce as you’re suggesting. 4 vs. 7 is almost 30%, i.e. every third person. Definitely enough not to ignore it.

Just for info, I’ve logged an internal bug report about this, following @dcaliste mentioning it during the community meeting today.

2 Likes