Impossible to install Predictive Text Input

Thanks for the tip! Here’s what I have done so far.

pkcon won’t find package jolla-xt9. It did find jolla-keyboard-settings-xt9, which I installed just in case

After that, thinking there must be something wrong indeed with my package index, I did a pkcon refresh, hoping that I would be then able to install xt9, either from the command line or from the app store, but nope. It was of no use.

If you want to do more than just complain, sharing the error message (from the terminal) would be a good idea.

You opened a terminal, typed the command devel-su to get root access, and then typed the following command, right?

pkcon install jolla-xt9

Asked is the result of the above command :slight_smile:

1 Like

Install zypper and list all repositories:

zypper lr

I can see you edited that. Good.

(edit: oh no, you didn’t. You doubled down with fewer insults. What the [slur_you_used] do you think this is going to achieve, you [slur_you_used]?)

Now, when and how did you install SFOS? What did you do after installation? Register yourJolla account? Restore a backup from another SFOS?

What about Android app support, is it enabled/available?

Attah’s passive-agressive comment wasn’t exactly constructive either. Rsoto even bothered to used the bug template and I saw no whiny complaining here. For all we know he could have even just forgot to include the error message ( which is not the case but could have been).

If reception to noobs is like this on the forum, less people will want to ask for help and may feel sailfish is not usable enough for them, which will bring less money for Jolla which makes more work for community developers when Jolla can’t afford to handle even basics like browser.

2 Likes

Lets stop the meta, and continue the debugging.

@rsoto, please try the following from the terminal and let us know the output of each:

ssu s
ssu lr | grep jolla
pkcon resolve feature-xt9
pkcon download /tmp feature-xt9
ls -l /var/cache/pk-zypp-cache/raw/ | grep -v openre
1 Like

Thanks.
Aha, pretty interesting: ‘ssu s’ prints ‘Device registration status: not registered’. As stated: all other Jolla apps, including but not limited to Android App support, are already installed…so this really comes as a surprise.

pkcon resolve feature-xt9 apparently succeeded ‘Resolved’ . But pkcon download /tmp feature-xt9 threw me the same error as before (package not found). Output of the last command is:

adaptation-common
adaptation0
aliendalvik
apps
customer-jolla
hotfixes
jolla
sailfish-eas
store

That’s normal and can be ignored. It has nothing to do with the “licensed account” stuff.

Apparently? What was the exact output?

It looks like you’re missing the xt9 feature repository, but as you keep not giving the exact outputs even when asked, it’s hard to debug further.

1 Like

My UI is not English, this is why I provide sloppy translations of the output. In this case, there was no further output other than ‘Resolved’. No errors, warnings, etc.

Oh wait, I executed this command two times. The first time, the exact output was:

Resolving
Starting
Request

In that case, do a export LANG=en LC_ALL=C at the start of the terminal session and the outputs will be in plain English.

yep, the repo is missing. I know I can add it via ‘ssu ar’, but I can’t find the URL anywhere. Would you mind sharing it?

1 Like

Thanks to @chazaq @nephros and @pherjung or the valuable input, and to @ohnonot for the comic relief.

These steps did the trick:

1. Add the xt9 repository with the information provided by @chazaq (subsituted armXX for aarch since it’s a different architecture), as the repo was missing from the local configuration as pointed out by @nephros
  2. Used pkcon refresh && pkcon install zypper && zypper install feature-xt9 as suggested by @pherjung
  3. Then installed Predictive Text Input from the App store (since the previous steps didn’t really do the trick). Now the feature is present. I am marking the thread as ‘solved’ accordingly.
1 Like

Well, now the issue is why this repository has not been added once you enabled your account.

The question now is how did you activate the paid licence? Nice, is that you list all steps you did from the flashing one to the activing your account.

1 Like

I didn’t flash the OS myself - I bought a used device with a free license, then logged in with my personal account which had a still unbound paid license since the days of the early x10ii release. In other words, I had purchased the license months, if not even years, before I purchased the x10ii itself and, most importantly, at a time in which there was no predictive text input for the X10ii yet.
So apparently, the combination between:

used/already flashed device + ‘late’ activation of a paid license + UI language change might have triggered the (apparently not seen before) edge case. If you (or anyone else) are interested in more info, I would be glad to provide more details or even do a live session - just send me a private message on the forum.

1 Like