How can i remove some apps like calculator…mail…

How can i remove some apps like calculator…mail…

1 Like

The stock calculator can be removed by
devel-su
pkcon remove jolla-calculator

I did so because I prefer RPNCalc because of it’s RPN input method.

Regarding mail app, I don’t want to test, but maybe
TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK:
devel-su
pkcon remove jolla-email

In general, in the directory
/usr/share/applications

are the starter files for the apps. If you open the files there with text editor, you can see the ‘real’ or ‘system’ name of the app in the line beginning with EXEC, and there at the end of the line.

1 Like

warum wurde beitrag bemängelt

Strange phenomenon: Since deinstallation of jolla-calculator, stock browser is much faster!

Any explanation for this?

edit: a lot of - edit: all - other apps also much faster now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @teracube. For info, while your question about removing apps is a perfectly valid query, it was off-topic for the thread that you originally posted it to.

I’ve therefore moved it into its own topic. This helps to keep the original topic discussion on track, but also gives your query the best chance of getting the answer it deserves.

7 Likes

You can uninstall/install Sailfish/Jolla apps from Jolla store. Like Mail, Calculator, Notes, etc… No need to use Terminal in many cases. Find it in the store, select uninstall from top pulley menu.

3 Likes

I just removed jolla-calculator just to test this, and everything runs faster now. It’s amazing and I love it!

1 Like

Is this kind of a bad joke?
How should the removal of one standalone-App affect execution-speed of other Apps, that make no sense to me under every circumstances.

1 Like

It is much faster, it seems not only the browser.

What alternatives are there to the build in calculator?

Calc uninstall making the system faster also seems to me…missing some measured results.

But found it more like a good than a bad joke, made me smile.
And it’s closed source after all. Who knows what it really does? biggrin

More seriously, IT things are sometimes in a chain of causes-consequences which is so long and winding, that they become hard to link.

1 Like

There is speedcrunch

2 Likes

Light alternatives to Jolla-calculator:

• Meecalc
  • QuantoFa (RPN)

No spectacular acceleration noticed here, though (Xperia X Vanha Rauma)

2 Likes

welcher Beitrag? / what post?

yes, and also RPNCalc with real stacks!

edit: real… i mean, content of stacks is visible on screen.

I just read the thread and now my eyesight has improved and even the mileage of my old car seems to be getting better. :wink:

3 Likes

I’m going to add to the ridiculousness of the idea by saying this:

While removal of Calculator is very unlikely to have an effect, removal of Email might have. Email comes with its own booster-browser instance. Booster-browser uses quite some memory (and a little CPU), so while I do believe the claims here are explained better by psychology than technology, lessening memory pressure might have a slight effect on performance.

2 Likes

Removing the calculator did seem to have an effect at first, but that didn’t last. Maybe something with preloading, or caching, or other optimizations have some (short time) effect.