High battery drainage Xperia 10 III

Well, when fully charged it gets 4529000, which suggests that it still has its full capacity… Only if charged partially, this value gets out of sync - too low compared to the % value.

charge_full is 4529000
charge_full_design is 4529000
Looks OK. Assuming that it works. Maybe in AOSP they just put default values there…

How does it look on your 10 III? And is charge_counter in sync with %?

In the Battery Buddy support thread, I suggested a wholly different approach to battery saving - the one that iOS phones use. They always charge up to 100% but modulate the charging current so that charging is complete shortly before user’s preferred time (e.g. when he wakes up). This way one starts the day with always 100% of charge (rather than some 5-10% already discharged when he was sleeping) and thus also ends the day with more charge left.

I would love some application on SFOS to make it possible to even just manually enter the destination time and then modulate the charging current so that 100% of charge is reached at that time.

On a different note, I’ve just noticed that battery % indicator in Android apps hasn’t been working correctly since 4.5.0.16. It is correct only when the Android Support is launched, but then does not get updated and keeps showing the value it had upon Android support launch.

Has anyone else noticed the same on his 10 III?

(the SFOS side says 46%, Android support stuck at 40%)

EDIT: It’s the same on both my 10 III and XA2U, so it’s a 4.5.x.x bug.

charge_full: 0
charge_full_design: 4529000
charge_counter: 3532620
Homescreen shows 81% left of battery.

4529000 / 3532620 = 78% so there’s a discrepancy vs. 81%. Check again around 60%, probably it’ll be even bigger.

charge_counter: 2853270
Homescreen shows 67% left of battery.

45290000 / 2853270 = 63% so the discrepancy (4%) got slightly bigger. But I guess it’s typical as on my 10 III it is right now 76% vs 73%, i.e. 3%.

The most strange thing is that my XA2 Ultra’s charge_counter when fully charged is 5688458 (i.e. more than 5600 mAh) :open_mouth:

Maybe due heat losses during charging.

Funny thing, thanks to this charge_counter I’ve discovered that I most probably have some Chinese battery inside my XA2 Ultra, probably one of those “5600 mAh” one can find on Aliexpress, be it a true capacity or the battery electronics just reporting it so. I bought the XA2U second hand and the seller was mentioning that battery was replaced by the service but I had no idea that he meant a third party battery and a “service” that uses such strange batteries… The funniest part is that it works OK, gives me very good working time, and the charge_counter decreases in a correct pace as the battery discharges, so it might mean that this 5600 mAh capacity is actually (close to?) real…

I have created a topic specifically for the [standby current drain] only(Standby Battery high drain on Xperia 10 III).

Please do, and update the new topic. I have added it to the 30th March community meeting, so if you feel like doing it soon…

I have same problem with battery on Xperia 10 III.
First of all it was because of ofonod, but it makes better after OS update (to 4.5.xx).
The second I found new problem with connected CardDav account. The process “/usr/libexec/buteo-oopp-runner carddav” consumes a lot of battery: a current obtained with Battery Buddy shows 500-600 mA. If I disable CardDav accound and kill the process after this, the current makes 100-200 mA.
The consuming process was found via PowerTop.

Consumption of 100-200 mA is still a CRIME. The XA2 Ultra, with its older SoC and huge screen, in the same conditions consumes 50-60 mA.

You cant compare IPS LCD (xa2 ultra) Smartphone vs OLED (10iii) Smartphones in terms of Energy-Consumption and expect it must be consume less Power.

My experiences starting with Windows Phone and later on some Sony Smartphones show me the opposide: OLED Smartphones consume more Power than IPS LCD Smartphones.

It depends of course on the content and brightness what OLED consumes. In my cases i use the same Backgrounds, colors…etc and OLED loose in that consumption game.

The XA2 Ultra consumes much less power than the 10 III in all conditions, also when the screen is off. Regardless of whether the display is on or off, the XA2 Ultra still uses at least twice less power than the 10 III.

I do have an idea for the cause of the high drain. I’ve seen it on my Fairphone2 running SFOS and my Sony Xperia 10iii, I’m curious to see if others see the same.

My FP2 could run about 4 days on a full battery, it was connected to 4G. At about the time my provided switched off 3G it could only run for about a day on a full battery. Since this was a community port i did some extensive troubleshooting with the developer and we couldn’t find anything in SFOS. Changing the mobile network to 2G only gets me back to 4 days on a full battery.
With my X10iii the situation is similar (although i didn’t have it when 3G was still available): When connected to 4G (no active data connection, just idle/standby) it’s 2 or 3 days, when set to 2G only it’s 4 or 5 days.

So the if 4G is available and 3G isn’t that seems to trigger high battery use when connected to 4G. Does anyone else have the same situation?
My idea why this could be the case is because calls on 4G are special and one method to create a call is CSFB which falls back to 3G. So there might be some process in the baseband/modem constantly scanning for 3G while connected to 4G so it can change quickly when a call has to be made, since no network is found it keeps scanning and draining the battery.

The topic here is specifically the standby current drain - when the phone has it’s radios turned off. You want this thread high-battery-drainage-xperia-10-iii
However as an aside, I have not noticed that disabling 4G affects the online power drain.

I’m sorry, you are right.
The correct topic seems to be High battery drainage Xperia 10 III
Maybe a moderator can move my message there?

Next update maybe?​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Here there is about 100 options about power governators:

But those available are here listed

[root@sfos ~]# cat  /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_available_governors
conservative powersave interactive performance schedutil
[root@sfos ~]# cat  /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy4/scaling_available_governors
conservative powersave interactive performance schedutil

It would be possible to keep 4 cpu in a conservative mode and 4 in schedutil or any combination. I am not aware if it is better to run at full throttle few CPUs or keep balanced. My gut feeling indicates the second but …

I am trying this one configuration:

for i in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu[0-3]/cpufreq/scaling_governor;
do echo "interactive" >$i; done

for i in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu[4-7]/cpufreq/scaling_governor;
do echo "conservative" >$i; done`

mcetool \
	--set-power-saving-mode=enabled \
	--set-low-power-mode=enabled \
	--set-psm-threshold=100 \
	--set-forced-psm=disabled \
	--set-ps-on-demand=enabled

The 10 III doesn’t have the interactive governor, and its CPU’s big.LITTLE core architecture is 6:2 and not 4:4. Please stop messing up in yet another thread.

Different hardware have different configuration but most the commands are the same.

• Xperia 10 III : Octa-core (2x2.0 GHz Kryo 560 Gold & 6x1.7 GHz Kryo 560 Silver)

• Xperia 10 II : Octa-core (4x2.0 GHz Kryo 260 Gold & 4x1.8 GHz Kryo 260 Silver)

Therefore it makes sense to have two different governor policies in the two CPUs sets:

for i in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu[0-1]/cpufreq/scaling_governor;
do echo “ondemand” >$i; done

for i in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu[2-7]/cpufreq/scaling_governor;
do echo “conservative” >$i; done`

The differences for Xperia 10 III in the code has been highlighted, very little. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion and information. Because now, I can write a script that can works for both. :blush: