Here's the code for the European Digital Identity

It should be implemented as a separate app. Some will need it, some won’t.
It should also be obvious when it is in use.

4 Likes

I don’t know about the framework, but France identité is not opensource and does not work on a phone with unlock bootloader and requires NFC.

4 Likes

I think at Berlin you are supposed to buy your beer at the Späti. You even don’t need digital identification

1 Like

Even for sheep there are better and worse choices. Implementing an open source app for Sailfish OS might not be perfect but it would be better.

Besides, the situation is bad as it is already, no need to wait for future deteriorations.

5 Likes

indeed, i confused it with france connect: GitHub - france-connect/sources

1 Like

With this link, what’s missing (except for the workforce) to have a sfos app for it ?

I don’t know what all this “oops, I’m being followed, monitored, etc.” is about?
The issue is resolved as soon as you put the battery in your smartphone and then maybe even switch it on.
They know your mobile phone number, IMEI, location, etc. and most of them also absolutely need WhatsApp and Google Play services on their sailfish phone.
That’s the end of anonymity or in plain German: “Da ist der Drops gelutscht” :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

In some countries you can buy sim cards for cash, in others you need to present ID in order to get one, so some might be more wary of getting tied physically to a digital number
Edit: and the fact your expectations are for hard tie-in (guys why are you even resisting?) suggests you’re in one of the more fascist countries in that regard

1 Like

The only thing left is to adapt the code for Sailfish OS.

1 Like

I don’t get the discussion, just make the app if you want. If you don’t want it dont install it. If you dont like EU, fix it by doing something meaningful, or dont and complain in a small forum, the world keeps spinning.

4 Likes

Until EU makes it mandatory, you’re right (edit: then again EU is not a monolith yet luckily and the fact you can just take a bus to netherlands and buy a simcard without signing in blood is still an option, who knows how long tho)

1 Like

The European Digital Identity is a tool for authentication and thus it can’t be a tool for privacy.

2 Likes

If it’s opt-in like corona tracker bt app, go for it (though it was forced on ios/android users), if it’s mandated, go eff yourself (not you personally, but the EU gits that try to mandate it)

1 Like

I’m breaking my privacy by posting here. I hope the app will be worth it.

3 Likes

I’m probably in the minority here but I deal with gov maybe once every 2-4 years, usually to just extend validity of my paper id cards (or passport), so even starting to write that app will be a wasted time, but apparently for others it might be worth it (as with covid lockdowns, b-b-but you HAVE to check in in our app!, sorry don’t have android, cya, as long you don’t force android on me go ahead)

1 Like

The governments are risks in themselves, but the bigger risk is the commercial social media platforms. This app will not protect you from that. Nothing but leaving them will, really.

I’m only available on the Fediverse nowadays (Mastodon, Pixelfed, WriteFreely, etc.). I’m even trying to get the Jollyboys to use Mastodon. …so far without luck.

2 Likes

In my humble opinion it would be a good thing for the Jollyboys to reconsider their social media presence. They might have a better experience of Mastodon than you seem to have had. It seems (quite often) that you are here to test the limits of this forum. …and with deliberately abrassive language comes the obvious consequences. Abrassive thoughts can be expressed with acceptable vocabulary too. It takes effort but is well worth it.

Now, would it be possible to return to the task at hand?

2 Likes

There is no commercial social media without government blessing (see TikTok).

Does that include the platforms of the Fediverse (Mastodon, Pixelfed, Peertube, etc)?

1 Like

To choose platforms that dilutes the human communication with less machine-created content, maybe? I’m not asking them to leave anything, just add one more account (and verifying it with their web site).