Here Wego (ver. 4) and choppy GPS

It not only looks great, it works like it. In my environment, it runs on 3 SFOS devices. Since Jolla’s Here stopped working, I’ve been using Magic Earth. Especially the data security is important to me, look here: Magic Earth Navigation & Karten – App-Check.
As an SFOS enthusiast, it should be no problem for you to get the app working. Or are you perhaps advertising for Here Wego when I read the number and type of your posts here in the thread?

Greetings

1 Like

I have no strings attached with WeGo, I’m just pleased with it! It’s maps happen to be up-to-date in certain regions, whereas Google Maps lag in year 2014. WeGo also carries the Nokia legacy, which undoubtedly affects me :slight_smile:

I would have liked to give Magic Earth a try, but I have so many things going on that I have to pick my battles :sweat_smile: Later; definitely will kick it into shape!

1 Like

Magic Earth might be fine. I’ve used Here from when it was Nokia Maps on the Nokia 5800. I use Here across several devices and have favourites saved that are synced between them. It works very well and I like the way it works. For me it’s not just a matter of downloading another app.

Here used to work but something has changed within Sailfish OS to cause it to stop working.

Ooo, it uses OpenStreetMap! Sweet! Now I really wish I had the time :sweat_smile:

1 Like

One, two, three, at a whizzing pace, time is running, how to run with…

Sorry for the quality, it’s a deepl translation
Greetings

I tried Magic Earth, it crashes/freezes just like Here WeGo.

One thing I discovered is both apps only freeze when Location is enabled as a permission with the app. If the permission to access location is denied the apps run without freezing.

Once either Here WeGo or Magic Earth freezes the only way to open any apps requiring Android Support is to Stop and Re-Start Android App Support.

Another thing I have noticed is even though GPS Info is showing valid and up to date location information SportsTracker always shows “Waiting for GPS”

There seems to be a problem with Android apps accessing Location

That could indeed be a bug in the Android App Suppor layer… I have noticed the crashes, too. I haven’t been able to reproduce the crash on a native app, say, GPSinfo. Have you?

What device do you have?

I have an Xperia XA2 dual sim.

Native apps like Pure Maps don’t freeze. I use GPS info as well and that works OK too.

This issue seems to have only arisen after the 4.2 update. I have Xperia X running 4.1 and that is OK. I’m debating whether or not to do the 4.2 and 4.3 updates as I use that phone for GPS mapping and tracking purposes as the GPS is so flakey on the XA2. I don’t want to lose the GPS capabilities on the X too.

That’s a good idea. However, I am tired of the constant crashes with the XA2 and SFOS and have put the SFOS in the drawer to play with. Hope dies last and until then I’m doing very well with Lineage.

I gave Here Wego 4.2.300 another chance with my XA2 Dual SIM running SF 4.3.0.12 and seems to be pretty stable now. Navigation in crowded city traffic was ok.

I have Xperia XA2 running /e/ os and indoors it sees no satellites. Exactly like when I had it running Sailfish. A cheap Nokia model sees lots of satellites at the same spot. It appears XA2 gps antenna is just bad. I now have Xperia 10 ii with Sailfish and am quite sure this will be my last Sony device.

I doubt that any GPS sees satellites indoors.
Indoor navigation may work by WIFI or GSM or extrapolation. My Saab navigates even in the underground car park and there a sure no satellites but there is trusty old 90’s sensors work and some straightforward calculations.

I only look at GPS data, not navigation. Nokia sees 3 satellites and Sony 10 ii sees 4…5. I have big windows to south, it may help. Yet, XA2 sees no satellites.

1 Like

Out of curiosity I taped my outdoor GPS to a Window and you are so right. I can see 12 satellites although I totally fail to get a fix.
I did not expect that.
Thank you. I learned.

and btw: HereWego still works good on my XA2. I try to close as many apps as possible during navigation. Navigation sure uses a lot of resources.

I installed Here WeGo 4.5 on my Sony 10III with 4.4.0.64. Navigation is working, but there is no speech.
The app says I have to configure this in the telephobe settings. But of course there is no possibility eithe in Jolla nor in Android settings.
What can I do to make Here WeGo talking? Has it something to do with a Text-to-Speech app?
And if yes, what app I would have to install?

Best regards, Uwe.

Hi Uwe, I use Here too on the same phone. In Here I opened the menu > settings > navigation: select and install your desired voice. That worked for me.

Or you need to install a TTS engine, like Ivona. XA2 and ivonaTTS, no voices found

1 Like

Can confirm that. It works fine on the 10 III.
I don’t understand why some apps like Here and Aptoide still are in Jolla Store.
Here worked fine on Jolla 1, but isn’t Finnish anymore. Aptoide was an alternative, but now we have FDroid and Aurora, which are safer.

MagicEarth is an Android app without trackers and it works perfect. Map updates, choice of different voices within the app, if you want traffic info. Is adapting quickly to change of routes.

1 Like

Also have to tell Android to use TTS in Accessibility. I think you can access it from Here We Go.
4.5 is vastly better than super buggy 4.4 here (XA2 4.4.0.48) but still crashes every 4th or so time I use it.