Headset lowest volume too loud

When I connect my headset (Microsoft/Nokia WH-108)
to my Sony Xperia 10 II, when I put the volume on the lowest possible,
the sound is still a bit too loud.

Found the commands :

pactl set-sink-volume 1 200% #speaker 200%
(from Headphone jack to speaker is VERY low volume, same as the phone speakers in fact - #4 by cwo - increasing sound)

pactl – set-sink-volume 0 -10%
(from Set audio volume from the command line - Seb's IT blog)

Is #speaker for the headset ?
Will these commands do something good ?

Any suggestions ?

2 Likes

As in your linked article, it’s a relative decrease:

pactl -- set-sink-volume 0 -10%

From the man page: VOLUME can be specified as an integer (e.g. 2000, 16384), a linear factor (e.g. 0.4, 1.100), a percentage (e.g. 10%, 100%) or a decibel value (e.g. 0dB, 20dB).

In your case I’d try with low integer values. A some point you could write a systemd unit to set that volume on ear peace connection.

EDIT: someone pointed out that this will not work for call loudness, just ringtone and media
0 in this case is the first Sink which is usually fine but, I think can also be adressed by name: sink.primary_output

I ‘believe’ the primary Sink also covers all ports like ear peace.

1 Like

Just tested with headphones:

pactl – set-sink-volume 1 -10%

works. you could set it once using the relative method and then look at the values using pactl list. I just piped the output like this:

pactl list | more

and search ( type /Sink #1 ) for Sink #1 (sink.deep_buffer). There you see the Volume: in absolute terms:

Volume: front-left: 40321 / 62% / -12.66 dB, front-right: 40321 / 62% / -12.66 dB
in this test

so when you’ve found a value you like you can set it to that.

pactl – set-sink-volume 1 51000

3 Likes

Dear Poetaster,

Tank you for your quick information.
Tried the command,

Resulting in listening to youtube with my headset,
lowering the sound and via speaker lowering the sound.

When I make a phone call, the command had no effect,
on my headset, sound stayed the same volume.

Beste Regards

Ok, so it works except for phone calls. hmm. That’s a bit complex since both alerts and phone calls have automatic interactions with system sounds (an email comes in, the alert lowers media player volume for the ‘ping’). I’m not sure where to set this but I’ll have a look.