Please spend your time learning the interface. SailfishOS is heavily gesture based, there’s a tour app. If you go to the official Store app on your new phone, there’s Android App Support and MicroG that you can install, if you absolutely need to run some Android apps. But for the most part, enjoy and try to embrace the fact that this is NOT an Android phone on purpose.
You are not allone. Second Job with a mandatory iPhone now. Works but is in no way nice. I have a lineage phone too as my private idiot phone. Works… Enough said.
It seems there’s some optimisation needed on the video side. It’s always worked perfectly on my old phones. Android 13 never had these issues. Let’s give them a bit of time to optimise the brand-new implementation of Android 15
It’s one device with less than 4000 current users developed by a team smaller than button testing departments at Google or Apple. Yes, not everything will be perfect from the start - but as a user of more than 10 years and counting (and being in the trade myself), I gotta say Jolla is doing a decent job weighing resources against issues.
Patience is a virtue. And if you can’t live without instant gratification… well… there are options.
There was ample chance to test drive what you signed up for. Maybe next time just don’t jump on things early where you might get disappointed and lose money.
If you’re looking for maps, Pure Maps in combination with OSM Scout Server is all most people need. But you’ll need to install them from Chum or OpenRepos/Storeman, because the Store versions are out of date.
I have only tested with Yle Areena and HBO Max and didn’t notice any problems with those, so don’t know what the issue is with other services/apps.
There are excellent native apps available if the Android apps won’t meet your needs.
I would assume anything heavier than your basic word games, sudoku, connect things or draw lines games or something bit older like Angry Birds probably wouldn’t be that enjoyable even on mid prices Android in the long run. But luckily for us, there are some native games also available.
Nice to hear. Sometimes people, who complain how the AAS is crap and with it nothing works properly, forget to mention, that actually some of the apps they tested worked just fine.
Oh boy that thread attracted quite some attention over this weekend …
Did the community miss an school fight?
Tips for new viral threads: ‘‘Jolla, never again’’, and ‘‘I wanted to support SFOS, but all apps are rubbish’’.
Maybe just as now replies seems to get a little about android apps and JP feedback overall, i’d like to remind, to avoid overthreading, that we have already a thread to help new Jolla Phone users:
And also a lively thread for Jolla Phone feedback:
I think we shall prioritize those 2 threads, for help and feedbacks.
Present one is vehemently tilted as ‘‘no-go!’’, and shall better get replies along that line only.
I’d like to add another camp that I find myself in. I’m honestly super happy with the new Jolla Phone and I’m enjoying the user experience way more than I did on Android previously.
The thing is that over the years I’ve reduced my smart phone dependency drastically and use cases are rather simple, so perhaps I’m just not facing the issues that others are. All the basic things have worked flawlessly. I’m amazed by some of the community-built apps and enjoy the simplicity of SFOS. Apple and Google have built ecosystems that are convenient, but have also locked people in.
That said, I wholeheartedly agree that the community should be more understanding towards newcomers’ expectations. Jolla simply isn’t for everyone, and by listening to feedback it may some day be.
If being for everyone means becoming more like Android and iOS: thanks but no thanks. I’ve seen too many FOSS projects become like established alternatives, I don’t need my cellphone go that same route just because some newcomers think they know better.
I might not agree wit everything you say, but +1 for the keyboard autocorrect. Of course there should be option to disable it, but for someone writing not their native language with semi bad dyslexia it would also be big help. I can workaround that by confirming every word but takes time
Videos currently have known bug and there has been confirmation from Jolla that gmaps should also get to working state. So expect those to get better Soon™…
“Install this app” seems to me perfectly valid answer to a newcomer coming from Android/Apple where “install an app” is the standard operating procedure. What else? We complain often enough that the browser is out of date, the best we can do is to tell people to install alternative browsers, whether Atlantic or Fennec from f-droid. Or live with the outdated FF ESR. There really isn’t another solution.
“calls keep dropping” is the kind of of bugs that only Jolla can solve, if at all, and it will take them months. In the meantime “restart this service using CLI” is annoying but is a workaround.
What annoys me personally in the interaction with new users are the “have you search the forum” answer.
If you don’t have anything nice to say… Why waste your time writing that?
What’s the value when answering a newcomer? At best, there is value in reminding old timers who forgot about searching, but newcomers probably don’t have the vocabulary to search efficiently and identify potential answers. We should be here to help.
If you spend your day hanging around on the forum so you’re the first to read the newcomer questions, and you really know the answer is out there, it does not cost you much more time to search for it, copy the link and actually be helpful.