GPS stopped working

Interresting, i’ll try. Thanks.
Maybe @direc85 can tell more of what happens behind?

1 Like

I haven’t digged through the source code, but I assume it just stops requesting for a location and starts it again. As the code is still harbour-compatible*, it can’t really do anything else.

1 Like

Has anyone managed to get GPS regularly working with the Xperia XA2 device?
Has there been any progress on this?

Hi, I am afraid not.
But if you don’t mind:
-Using something without having the sources available
-Relying on google
Then, you can use the really efficient @nekron’s suplpatcher.
Needed only for the first fix. Then, you can go offline (at least for location method)
You’ll find posts about it starting at this post.

Or directly there:

I’ve applied suplpatcher and it seems to make a very worthwhile difference with my XA2. Certainly not up to the standards of what one might expect normally but certainly a lot better than beforehand.

One thing that seems to make a big difference is whether or not you have WLAN turned on or you have an active WLAN connection, then the GPS position acquisition is as bad as ever. Turning WLAN off seems to make a big improvement.

I don’t longer work with XA2. With 10 II there is no problem with GPS without any mods. Fix indoor is a normal thing.

Unfortunately the gps problem with XA2’s is long known issue and have never been solved. Right now with Jolla moving to newer and 64-bit devices XA2 will receive less and less of attention and unsolved GPS problem will slowly fade away with that device.

The A_GPS data only gets downloaded over a mobile data connection not with wifi, at least this was always the case for me.

In normal condition to get a fix phone should use anything that is available this is, wifi, cellular, gps.
But with Nekron’s mod we have to play with cellular and gps only. Still this is better then nothing, at least XA2 gps is somewhat functional

The suplpatch did make a difference for a day or so but now back to old times it seems. I’m not even getting the initial 9000m horizontal accuracy I got initially. Does this patch rely on 3G towers only? I think 3G is being gradually withdrawn where I live, soon it will be 4g, 5g and some 2G for data links.

I do wonder if there is something else going on.

This screen shot shows good signals from 5 satellites but 0 satellites in use.

For suplpatch to work correctly, you’ll need a working data connection. If it is very slow like 2G, it takes a long time to download all the needed data.

Sometimes i needed to turn mobile data off and on agsin after i enabled GPS.
And other times only a reboot fixrd the slow fix/neber get a fix issue.

I am generally on a 4G connection.

I don’t have any problems getting fix with XA2 outdoors with Patcher and 4G connection. Maybe there is problem with hardware as it is known that software isn’t the only bug problem with GPS on XA2.
That’s why some devices work, some work with patcher, some doesn’t work at all or create different issues

I don’t think it’s a hardware issue as it has acquired a position on more than one occasion relatively quickly. Nothing has happened hardware wise to change that.

There are probably multiple causes to this problem, hard- and software.
It is the conjunction of them which makes it undebugable without lab equipment to separate causes.

Users on this thread made lots of tests.
I also made lots of tests with 4 different XA2 in parallel and noticed big differences with the same software.
I also noticed that hardware disassembly and contacts cleaning helped but didn’t solve the problem completely.

It is a headache + hair pullout problem :cold_face:
It would be excellent if a good soul with lab equipment would try to join! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Sorry to disappoint you but this is exacly hardware issue mixed with some software problems causing many different scenarios and what that scenarios have in common is gps not working as it should

2 Likes

If it were a hardware issue there would be a significant number of complaints about XA2 GPS problems with the phones running Android. If you do a Google search you will find there is almost no GPS issues with the Android versions. By far the majority of issues you’ll find are for XA2’s running Sailfish. That is especially significant as the number of XA2’s running Sailfish is significantly less than those running Android. The common denominator is Sailfish OS.

I don’t accept the argument about hardware being the problem.

1 Like

AGPS hides the HW issue well enough, thus Android users hardly ever notice anything. I have XA2 running /e/ os with no network connection and GPS HW issue is there. Whether you accept that or not.

2 Likes

How do you prove it’s a hardware problem? So far I seen no evidence of this, plenty of talk and hearsay but nothing that proves it.

If you have XA2 with Android you can remove SIM, disconnect WLAN and tell Android not to use bluetooth and wifi for location. Then, if GPS fix takes much longer time you have a test case that supports HW issue hypothesis.
Real evidence would require serious measurements and capability to build and run HW test software.

But even if you do all that, and effectively your Android XA2 is completely network isolated, the fact that it takes much longer to get a lock could still be a software bug in how the Android low level drivers communicate with the GPS hardware, couldn’t it?