GPS stopped working

First trial with car indicates that getting GPS fix with Sony XA2 still takes several minutes. However, it works.
Nokia 5.3 Android phone with no SIM, no network connection and GPS only, found correct location in one second.
Thus, I’ll keep my Nokia as navigator and XA2 only when I forget the Android phone home.

Thank you. I’m now not sure which route to go Yandex or try and manually download the Mozilla data. Both have their plusses and minuses.

The other possibility (hopefully he says) is that Jolla come up with a fix in the next update, when ever that will be.

There’s also some packages in OpenRepos with the offline-data. Search for MLS. I haven’t tested those myself yet or checked if they’re legit.

1 Like

Nope, no GPS update :frowning:

3 Likes

No. Not yet unfortunately

Just checking in on this thread since my gps suddenly stopped. Been working fine on my XZ2c for months, on 3.3 and 3.4, but now nothing - not even a flashing symbol in status bar. It’s like the gps function is not even there or something. Is that what everyone else is experiencing?
I just ran test_gps from terminal and got ‘gps interface not found’.

I am still using my XA2 dual sim with Koli for navigation more or less on a daily basis with Here We Go and OSM Scout. It takes a few minutes to get a fix with gps only but once you get used to it, this is no real problem.

1 Like

For me, gps isn’t completely gone. The location icon is visible in the status bar. It’s just takes a long time to get a gps fix, or can’t get a fix at all, and the fix is lost easily.

My understanding is that this is the situation for most on this thread.

3 Likes

Thanks - I figured out that I messed up my location conf file messing around with it, so i just reinstalled system settings plugin package, and all better now…

Checked just now 3:35 from cold start. Yesterday I was use navigation whole day and signal was strong without interruption. XA2.

I’ve been using Sports Tracker Android app, with Android support on Sailfish, on XA2 for a few days now and GPS has been ok. Fix is a bit slow but usable.

I don’t know if the improvement is because of Android or because I’ve installed MLS offline files or something else but GPS performance is much better.

I’ll try to do some comparison with Android and native. Maybe Sports Tracker has better algorithm for dealing with bad GPS data.

The GPS is definetely working on XA2, The problem is that it doesn’t get a quick fix, seems like it needs to download the almanach data from the satellites when you switch it off and change your location or it was turned off for a certain time without changing your application. When it has a fix, everything is running normal.
I think getting the almanch data from xtra servers or saving the almanch data is broken.
Hope we’ll get a fix in the next OS release.
In comparison on Android devices you normally get the fix in seconds, because it gets its almanch data over the internet

1 Like

I can confirm, on my XA2, GPS is unusable in its current state. Just don’t have time to wait that long.

Also, ride apps like Bolt fail to understand Location Services - relevant permissions are granted in app settings, but app still can’t get to them. This may be related to MicroG vs Google Play Services, though?

1 Like

XTRA servers are fine, i.e. it’s not the almanach but ephimeris download. I had problems with supl.sonyericsson.com. Switching to supl.google.com fixed it. Complete setup is:

• disable MLS in /etc/hosts by adding a line 127.0.0.1 location.services.mozilla.com
  • enable online mode in location settings
  • set SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com and NTP_SERVER=europe.pool.ntp.org

This gives me a GPS fix in usually less than 5 seconds. Problem is that I don’t want my phone to inform Google about my current position. Therefore I tried supl-proxy on my host. I could see SUPL requests from my phone but never came past TLS handshake and there seems to be no way to upload new root certificates to the SoC.

4 Likes

I have also tried different SUPL hosts. irst it seemed to work, but at another location it was still the same slow GPS fix behaviour.

In which file do you change SUPL_HOST?
How can you see SUPL requests?
I have modified /etc/gps.conf and /etc/hosts but the fix is still slow (3 or 4 minutes).

/etc/gps.conf is a symlink to /vendor/etc/gps.conf, so both are fine. A reboot is not needed as the configuration is picked up by geoclue-hybris whenever GPS is enabled. But the settings are only passed to the Android subsystem, if you allow online access for the location services in /etc/location/location.conf.

If you set SUPL_HOST to a server reachable from the internet, you can run a TLS server on port 7275 and will see incoming requests as soon as you enable GPS on the phone. But even though I provide a proper certificate chain, the handshake never succeeded. Probably the CA cert is not available in the SoC.

Here is a snippet from my gps.conf:

NTP_SERVER=europe.pool.ntp.org
DEBUG_LEVEL = 2
INTERMEDIATE_POS=1
CAPABILITIES=0x37
SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com 
SUPL_PORT=7275
SUPL_MODE=1
SUPL_ES=1
SUPL_VER=0x10000
LPP_PROFILE=2
7 Likes

Thank you. After adding

SUPL_MODE=1
SUPL_ES=1
LPP_PROFILE=2

it works!

Thank you, this seems to work. Will test this more deeply tommorow.

Wow! It works on my XA2.