GPS stopped working

The suplpatch did make a difference for a day or so but now back to old times it seems. I’m not even getting the initial 9000m horizontal accuracy I got initially. Does this patch rely on 3G towers only? I think 3G is being gradually withdrawn where I live, soon it will be 4g, 5g and some 2G for data links.

I do wonder if there is something else going on.

This screen shot shows good signals from 5 satellites but 0 satellites in use.

For suplpatch to work correctly, you’ll need a working data connection. If it is very slow like 2G, it takes a long time to download all the needed data.

Sometimes i needed to turn mobile data off and on agsin after i enabled GPS.
And other times only a reboot fixrd the slow fix/neber get a fix issue.

I am generally on a 4G connection.

I don’t have any problems getting fix with XA2 outdoors with Patcher and 4G connection. Maybe there is problem with hardware as it is known that software isn’t the only bug problem with GPS on XA2.
That’s why some devices work, some work with patcher, some doesn’t work at all or create different issues

I don’t think it’s a hardware issue as it has acquired a position on more than one occasion relatively quickly. Nothing has happened hardware wise to change that.

There are probably multiple causes to this problem, hard- and software.
It is the conjunction of them which makes it undebugable without lab equipment to separate causes.

Users on this thread made lots of tests.
I also made lots of tests with 4 different XA2 in parallel and noticed big differences with the same software.
I also noticed that hardware disassembly and contacts cleaning helped but didn’t solve the problem completely.

It is a headache + hair pullout problem :cold_face:
It would be excellent if a good soul with lab equipment would try to join! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Sorry to disappoint you but this is exacly hardware issue mixed with some software problems causing many different scenarios and what that scenarios have in common is gps not working as it should

2 Likes

If it were a hardware issue there would be a significant number of complaints about XA2 GPS problems with the phones running Android. If you do a Google search you will find there is almost no GPS issues with the Android versions. By far the majority of issues you’ll find are for XA2’s running Sailfish. That is especially significant as the number of XA2’s running Sailfish is significantly less than those running Android. The common denominator is Sailfish OS.

I don’t accept the argument about hardware being the problem.

1 Like

AGPS hides the HW issue well enough, thus Android users hardly ever notice anything. I have XA2 running /e/ os with no network connection and GPS HW issue is there. Whether you accept that or not.

2 Likes

How do you prove it’s a hardware problem? So far I seen no evidence of this, plenty of talk and hearsay but nothing that proves it.

If you have XA2 with Android you can remove SIM, disconnect WLAN and tell Android not to use bluetooth and wifi for location. Then, if GPS fix takes much longer time you have a test case that supports HW issue hypothesis.
Real evidence would require serious measurements and capability to build and run HW test software.

But even if you do all that, and effectively your Android XA2 is completely network isolated, the fact that it takes much longer to get a lock could still be a software bug in how the Android low level drivers communicate with the GPS hardware, couldn’t it?

If you don’t accept hardware as one cause, then you are probably able to explain the following:

… and …

I don’t know why this should be a Hardware Problem. I had no GPS issues on my XA2 in the beginning, that first appeard with Sailfish OS 4 and worked well before on Sailfish 3.

Unfortunately not so easy:
I have done lots of tests with four XA2 under SFOS and Android.
I was, and still am, convinced there is also a HW problem.
But
A freshly flashed Android with
-locally installed apps to delete gnss data
-never provided any network nor SIM card
still finds a fix faster than SFOS. (https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/gps-stopped-working/1181/546)
But it was freshly flashed.
Equally, if you flash SFOS, you will get a fast fix in the beginning.
Then, it will degrade. (Several times reported in this thread)

Let’s postpone this debate until someone with a lab can make scientific objective tests!

2 Likes

To contradict myself in stopping the HW/SW debate,
Just to say; I noticed clear improvement in signal reception when cleaning and re-bending the spring-type contacts inside some of the XA2 I opened.
This leaded me to think that the XA2 HW ages badly. Contacts can get loose and, (as not soldered/screwed) get dirty.

New today’s tests with good HW condition devices:

SFOS just flashed:
I just installed Jolla MLS, Storeman, Direc85 Gpsinfo. GPS custom settings ON, ON, OFF, Moz license accepted.
Fix in 4 minutes.

Android just flashed:
No internet connection ever. Installed Gpstest (USB apk copying). No SIM, no BT, no WIFI.
Fix in 3 minutes.

These values are pretty comparable and don’t indicate anything special apart that… @Jolla should help us!

This would be worth it as the XA2 will last 6 more years in France as 3G will be cut in 2028 only and in 2025 in the rest of europe for Orange (source).

2 Likes

Can you provide pictures and or details on what contacts need cleaning/re-tensioning? I’ll give anything a go to improve GPS functionality on the XA2.

I’m still sceptical about hardware being the main issue. These are my reasons;

1. Nekron’s suplpatcher made a good improvement
  2. The time to achieve a lock on can vary from day to day, same atmospheric conditions etc

Neither of these are hardware related. 4 minutes to lock on isn’t all that wonderful in my opinion, though is better than it was before I applied the suplpatcher fix. Even then there are times after I applied the fix that a lock on takes many minutes.

It’s confusing, really.

From what I understood, 4 min. is pretty good for a “cold start”. Some talk about 12.5 minutes to download the sat datas. Am I wrong, maybe? (I didn’t RTFM about SAT technology, I admit)

No warranty it will work though. You might ruin your phone and have no GPS improvement. Backup first, of course.
My daily XA2 is becoming really GPS catastrophic, event with Nekron’s patch now. So I’ll open it and try to “arrange” it too. I’ll make some picture that I could give here.
Edit: I’ll take care not to unplug the battery during the operation so eventual improvements causes don’t mix together.

1 Like

Thanks.
It’s getting late here now, it’s almost tomorrow. :wink:

I’ve just been outside to see how long to get a lock on. I started GPS Info and the app said 34 satellites in view. After more than 4 minutes still wasn’t even a partial fix where the accuracy is several thousand metres and there were no satellites in use.

I did a re-boot then restarted GPS Info. Now there was only 27 satellites in view and within a minute or so I had an accuracy of 9000 metres. It started raining so I didn’t wait for a lock on.

My take away was the re-boot cleared out some old Info and allowed a faster lock on. To be sure of this I do need to do more testing.

1 Like

Forget it ! :–(
However, a reflash would help. Very handy for everyday use ;–)

Yeah, anyway, I’have to find some time to do the whole process. Don’t promise it’ll be ready for your tomorrow, not even mine!
Also, I have to clone the phone to another one first.