GPS stopped working

If you take a look you will see I have been in this conversation since October 2020. I have been following and contributing since that time to this thread.

While there is an occasional mention of other devices the one device that nearly all posts are about is the XA2. The thread was started by someone complaining about the GPS functionality of the XA2 and the thread has pretty well focused on that one device.

I stand by my comment that the XA2 is much more crippled by this problem than the X

5 Likes

My XA2 is also affected by this.
The quality of the satellite signals (for me) is always very good. I have at least 7 satellites with very good signal.
What takes a long time is the GPS fix.
Why this is so, no one could answer yet. sometimes the fix is within a minute and then again 30 minutes nothing.
If the GPS fix is there, then it runs stable. Even after driving through tunnels, the fix comes very quickly.

2 Likes

What bothers me the most (besides the bad GPS) is that there is no communication from Jolla.
With the “5 GHZ WLAN problem”, we were told almost a year ago that we were investigating it. Until then, please use the binary V16.
Even if there is no progress at the moment, information about this would be very nice. At least you know that the problem has not been forgotten.
The same goes for the GPS.

So I had to get rid of that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The only real issue with my X10II is the edge swipe being super precise, so I’ve been wanting to switch back to XA2U. But then I remember the GPS issue and bite my tongue a little harder…

1 Like

Off topic, but a quick reply. The edge swiping is a problem on the XA2 as well. I think it’s a general SFOS issue which started with one of the updates.

4 Likes

Also off topic, but I have trouble with edge swipe on Xperia X, at least since 4.2 Verla. The release notes thread for Verla has a number of complaints about this:

Since things improved a lot in 3.02 and recently degraded, I’m sure this can be fixed again. Hoping for 4.4 :slight_smile: ! [Edit typo in release number]

1 Like

I’m not sure if a bug report thread should be opened for this one. But it is definitely one small, annoyingly frustrating big bug!
I had immediately noticed it after installing the 4.2 update, reported it in its release notes thread, and confirmed by a few others.
Unsurprisingly, not a single comment, or any kind of acknowledgment, was posted there by any of Jolla’s sailors.
Personally, this still occurs constantly on my XA2, and it’s very annoying to be missed
So, it’s definitely not hard to get noticed by Jolla.
But then again… 4.3 came out… And still, there’s no mention of it whatsoever

1 Like

I asked about this in November’s community meeting but got no answer, I think it got overlooked somehow.

Yes, overlooked :pleading_face: :face_with_monocle: :pleading_face:
(if you want to call it this way! :confused: )

1 Like

Hi there,
It seems here are some (good?) news regarding GPS on XA2.
I have 4 XA2, some simple SIM, some double.
All purchased used with andriod 9 on them.
Some have a SFOS license, some not.
All have SFOS 4.3
I installed the Western European positioning package, Gpsinfo and Pure maps.
Positioning options are on custom settings and all options selected in custom, Mozilla conditions accepted.
On 3 of them (language set to French), Pure Maps gives my position with approx 15m. precision.
i.e. the one used ATM uses 7 sats of 23.
The 4th XA2 (language set to English) is still acquiring sats (0/7) after 20mn. It seems hard…

GPS work equally with or without SIM inserted.

Tu sum up, 3 of 4 seem to have an usable GPS.

The 4th XA2 device did not get a position after more than 1 hour of waiting.
I changed the language to French and rebooted.
Then, It found a position within less than 10 minutes.
Can that be related to language change or was that just the 10 minutes more it needed to finish building the almanac or collect data?

Will someone with GPS problems on an XA2 try to change language to French and set the same options I did to see if it has an influence?

I tried it. While my results aren’t conclusive I didn’t see any improvement by changing languages.

1 Like

Well, ok, thanks AlanBreen for trying.
In this case, there was just 10 minutes missing…
But at least, 4 XA2 have a working GPS.

1 hour and 10 minutes, srsly… “I have working GPS”. My GPS experience is awfull. I use XA2 as my main phone and when I needed GPS I took my old Jolla 1 from the shelf. No SIM, no wifi, gets a fix outside in less then 3 maybe 5 minutes. As XA2 is my main phone I used GPS to compare, so going with both phones. I cant remember XA2 ever made a fix before J1. Sometimes I could use J1 GPS for an hour or more and XA2 was still „finding” itself. Sometimes XA2 made a fix few minutes after J1, sometimes 10-15 minutes later. Mostly after an 1 hour+ I was bored with XA2 searching and disabled GPS to save battery life.

Original phone, no major drops, screen cracks or whatever (I still have working J1 in almost perfect condition after 4 years of daily usage!).

edit: out of curiosity tried it today (not used it for half a year+). GPS on, high precision, mobile data on, positioning installed. 30 minute walking, nice weather. No fix. Forgot to disable GPS and mobile data, after two hours+ in a house, still no signal. So no changes in 4.3. Still not working.

1 Like

Thanks for the report.
This trick didn’t help for me (XA2 4.3)
(out the window) It sees 29 sats and uses 6 in plane mode (no emissions, just position reception).
When I turn off plane mode and turn wifi on, GPSInfo report is the same (6/29)
All this after 5-10 min. with “warm start”.

Really weird!
As some guys reported, it was working at the beginning and today, it took ages to get a fix outside the house…

This is very unsatisfying dear Jolla.
3 weeks ago I had some free money (I didnt make a lot) but decided to support you bu paying for full version of Sailfish X to slowly realize that one service which I rely on and seems to be like an integral part of todays phone is not working or working 50/50 in perfect conditions. This bug report started Jul 2020 and from that moment you did NOTHING but few comments about some tests that showed you there is no bug. What tests? We are the testing community and we say IT DOESNT WORK (Anybody agrees with me? :slight_smile: ) Jolla do something with that!
You fail to mention problems with basic functionality when you took my money.

Xperia XA2, no problems on android.
Gonna mention one thing. My Old N900 gets gpx fix within few seconds…
What it shows? It can be done right so do it!

Since I never had GPS issues I did not read the thread yet.

Your observation may explain why I do not have the problem: when I am leaving the house/office I always switch WIFI (WLAN) off and use mobile data connection only. I only use GPS outside and always switch it off when I do not need it. So in my use cases I am using either GPS or WIFI. I switch location (GPS) on when actually needed. It typically takes only a couple of seconds to get a GPS fix (Xperia 10 ii, XA2, both with SFOS 4.3).

Maybe this helps tracking down the bug …

1 Like

“GPS stopped working”? Lucky you, mine never really started working. On SFOS, of course, because if flashed back to Android it magically revives.

Right as I’m writing this, it’s been laying by the window for half an hour now, stuck with 24 visible / 0 in use.

EDIT: 30 minutes later, 22 in view 0 in use.

An utter disaster, out of any measurable crappiness scale.

1 Like

I don’t see how WiFi and the GPS are inter-related.