gPodder feedback

Sounds like a very good solution to me. :+1:

It seems to me that the YouTube search is broken. I tried a bunch of times, and never got result, and the search seemed to never end. It seems to me that the URL of YouTubeSearchProvider of gpodder-core is just returning 404 (nb, it is a plain HTTP URL in the sources, so I assume the redirect to HTTPS is actually handled properly).

Hey!
In the settings page there is a YouTube APIv3 key setting, I suspect that with that it may work.
As I don’t have such a key of my own I have never really been able to test that plugin.

As mentioned recently we need better ways to report errors back to the user and it may also be possible for the plugin to disable itself at runtime as long as the api key is not set, I will have to look what is possible in the code.

Ah, I missed that part. Thank you.

4.16.2 has been released on OpenRepos and is in the harbour QA queue:

4.16.2 - “Mesirut”

“Mesirut” means devotion, loyalty and/or dedication.

This is a point release since it mainly refines the previous release.

These are the changes:

• Fixed Swedish translation by @eson57
  • The path for storing downloads is now set with a folderpicker instead of a freeform string.
  • It is now possible to create/remove a .nomedia file in the downloads path thus preventing gPodder related media from showing up in the gallery/media player.
  • The layout of the Settings page was overhauled to hopefully improve usability.

Thanks to my sponsors on github (@peperjohnny and @schmittlauch), please consider also sponsoring me.

As always your feedback is appreciated:

The new settings page layout is
  • better
  • worse
  • don’t care/know

0 voters

I am probably going to be looking at better error feedback next.

3 Likes

I’ve made this a feature request for Podcatcher too.

It bugs me that my music has a heap of podcasts mixed in with it too.

Huge thanks again to @eson for speedy translation which has now been included in 4.16.3

@crun Great! That is how we improve in FOSS, in the past we learned stuff from podcatcher (itunes search the correct way) and podqast (playback speed change during playing) too and if we can return the favour that is excellent.

4 Likes

Hey everyone,
As I mentioned before I have been playing around with error feedback and notifications and hope to do a new release in the not to distant future (I may do a beta release with 1 or 2 features to get feedback).

It would help if you can mention different errors or situations that should have had better user feedback.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi,
top priorities on my list would be:

• better notifications when adding a podcast via URL fails, due to invalid URL, or the URL does not point to a valid rss file. Currently there is not feedback add all, if i remember correctly.
  • also a success message would be nice, because currenly i have to scroll through the list to check if the potcast was added.
1 Like

Not really an error report or feedback of GUI concept, but I’d like to place a feature request:

I’m missing to define a directory on the local filesystem as a feed, to listen to local audio files as if they were downloaded via RSS feed.
‘Normal’ audio players often do not provide variable playback speeds and don’t remember the playback position between different runs of the player.

1 Like

If this is for audiobooks have you looked at talefish?

Available on openrepos and Jolla Store.

While this is an interesting idea I don’t know that it will have a high priority any time soon (though as I always say PRs are always welcome).

1 Like

You’re right talefish could fill in the gap, however I would prefer, not to install yet another audio playback app.
I understand that it’s probably not at highest position of your prio list.

I haven’t done anything with python for many years, so it may be an option to have a look into that.