Google Calendar does not sync

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID: 3.3.0.16
HARDWARE (Jolla1, Tablet, XA2,…): Xperia 10 Plus
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): ?

DESCRIPTION:

I’m not able to synchronize Google calendar with Jolla Calendar

PRECONDITIONS:

1. existing google account
  2. existing events in the user calendar for today

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Add google account with Settings > Accounts > Add account > Google
  2. Check Calendars, Contacts and Email for Two-way sync
  3. Pull the menu and select Sync
  4. Open stock Calendar app
  5. Pull menu and select Sync - no events for today
  6. Pull menu and select Manage calendars - no google calendars present

EXPECTED RESULT:

1. events visible
  2. calendars listed in manage calendars menu

ACTUAL RESULT:

1. events not visible
  2. calendard not listed

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

Jul 19 01:41:14 Xperia10Plus-DualSIM google-calendars-client[14255]: [W] unknown:0 - ERROR:  "Calendars" request with account 13 experienced error: QNetworkReply::NetworkError(ProtocolInvalidOperationError)
Jul 19 01:41:14 Xperia10Plus-DualSIM google-calendars-client[14255]: [W] unknown:0 - ERROR:  unable to parse calendar data from request with account 13 ; got:
Jul 19 01:41:14 Xperia10Plus-DualSIM google-calendars-client[14255]: [W] unknown:0 - ERROR:  "{"
Jul 19 01:41:14 Xperia10Plus-DualSIM google-calendars-client[14255]: [W] unknown:0 - ERROR:  "  \"error\": {"
Jul 19 01:41:14 Xperia10Plus-DualSIM google-calendars-client[14255]: [W] unknown:0 - ERROR:  "    \"code\": 400,"
Jul 19 01:41:14 Xperia10Plus-DualSIM google-calendars-client[14255]: [W] unknown:0 - ERROR:  "    \"message\": \"API key not valid. Please pass a valid API key.\","
Jul 19 01:41:14 Xperia10Plus-DualSIM google-calendars-client[14255]: [W] unknown:0 - ERROR:  "    \"errors\": ["
Jul 19 01:41:14 Xperia10Plus-DualSIM google-calendars-client[14255]: [W] unknown:0 - ERROR:  "      {"
Jul 19 01:41:14 Xperia10Plus-DualSIM google-calendars-client[14255]: [W] unknown:0 - ERROR:  "        \"message\": \"API key not valid. Please pass a valid API key.\","
Jul 19 01:41:14 Xperia10Plus-DualSIM google-calendars-client[14255]: [W] unknown:0 - ERROR:  "        \"domain\": \"global\","
Jul 19 01:41:14 Xperia10Plus-DualSIM google-calendars-client[14255]: [W] unknown:0 - ERROR:  "        \"reason\": \"badRequest\""
Jul 19 01:41:14 Xperia10Plus-DualSIM google-calendars-client[14255]: [W] unknown:0 - ERROR:  "      }"
Jul 19 01:41:14 Xperia10Plus-DualSIM google-calendars-client[14255]: [W] unknown:0 - ERROR:  "    ],"
Jul 19 01:41:14 Xperia10Plus-DualSIM google-calendars-client[14255]: [W] unknown:0 - ERROR:  "    \"status\": \"INVALID_ARGUMENT\""
Jul 19 01:41:14 Xperia10Plus-DualSIM google-calendars-client[14255]: [W] unknown:0 - ERROR:  "  }"
Jul 19 01:41:14 Xperia10Plus-DualSIM google-calendars-client[14255]: [W] unknown:0 - ERROR:  "}"
7 Likes

same here. It does not work on my XA2. Currently switched to a CalDAV calendar which is less comfortable and won’t let my ad train schedules.

Hi @ktor

I raised the issue with Jolla last month and after sending a log following their instructions they responded on 3 July saying:

"Hi,

apologies for our error in the journal logging instructions. They were recently revisited for some upcoming changes in Sailfish OS. Unfortunately, a mistake was made.
This has nothing to do with encryption. The instructions have been fixed now.

Your log file was empty (well, with those instructions this is an expected outcome).

The calendar sync issue has been fixed. The fix will be delivered to users in the next OS update which is scheduled to early September.
Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
Sincerely,
Jolla Customer Care"

So it looks as if Jolla have a fix for the next OS release in early September.

2 Likes

May I ask what do you mean ? If your train schedules are provided as static iCal data somewhere on the net, you can add them as a web calendar. In account settings, when you add a new account, there is a new possibility to add “web calendar”. You provide a static iCal resource on the web as an URL, and it creates a new calendar for it, and keep it updated on device.

you are correct: I can download a .ics file from the browser which will import into calendar from the Zürich public transport site. Swiss railways does not seem to export .ics in Sailfish browser, but does on desktop.
So, this is not very smooth, but works.
(Probably I wanted to point at the now abandoned app Fahrplan which did quite a very good job.

What I also mean, is that, if the ICS data is actually changing from time to time (next year schedule), you can add it as a “web calendar” in the account page in the settings. Like that, the added calendar on device is kept in sync with the upstream one.

Aha! That is good to know! Thanks! I banged my head against wall (XA2 3.3.0.16) for quite a good time. In the end I gave up with Google calendar and gave chance for Fruux (found from accounts readily for Sailfish). That decision I have not regretted. Works like charm and now my Sailfish experience is 100% Google free (= why I have Sailfish from the beginning).

3 Likes

Regarding the OS update originally scheduled for “Early September” which is supposed to fix the calendar error.

Jolla Customer Services now say:

It seems that getting this update ready is likely to be delayed. The current estimate is the end of September.

2 Likes

thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

I don’t wish to sound petulant, but many important things seem to have broken with 3.3.0.16, like external device access for Android applications.

Thanks for the follow-up. I was considering factory resetting my device to see if I could get my Google Calendar to show up again. That was broken after removing the calendar db because of the other issues SailfishOS has/had with the sync (double entries, not syncing).

I updated to 3.4.0.22 EA yesterday.
Deleted my Google account, then recreated it.

I was happy at the beginning, as the calendar sync worked fine.
But then I did some tests and we’re still having issues:

• Creating an event on SFOS is correctly pushed to Google / displayed in e.g. Google Calendar web or an iPhone
  • Creating an event on an iPhone syncs back to SFOS
  • But when I start modifying events from outside SFOS (e.g. to antoher day), then those changes are not synch’ed back to SFOS.

Anyone having the same issue?

1 Like

I’ve got also problems. Yesterday the syncing worked better but now the events created in the SFOS are synced to the server but no event is synced back.

Without trying to hijack the issue, mine seemed to work correctly too. But today the double (tripple already) entries are returning to the calendar :frowning:

1 Like

I also got the duplicates now…

@werdinand - looks that old bug hasn’t been fixed yet :frowning:
https://together.jolla.com/question/219130/bug321-google-calendar-items-duplicated-after-upgrade-workaround-explained/

Yes, I know this old bug. In earlier versions it was easy to delete calendar app data and resync but now I had to delete the Google account, delete the calendar app data, restart the phone, recreate the Google account and then I got it more or less working again. But I’m afraid that some simple thing (like creating or deleting an event) will break it again…

For me, that indeed breaks it.

Also, I’m syncing with Google, the calendar app seems to forget which calendars I want to use. I’ve got three in mine and want to use one on my Jolla. each time the (broken) sync is done, all calendars are active again.

on 3.4.0.22 the calendar seems almost to work: I can add entries on the phone, which appear in Google. If I change the entries on the phone, those entries disappear from the phone, but they stay visible in google. Adding events in google don’t seem to appear on the phone.

https://together.jolla.com/question/226821/google-calendar-sync-fails/ is the same.