Gecko esr91 work (former "Flypig's gecko dev diary")

@vige

Thank you for checking.

vlagged:
Pretty sure it needs DRM too

DRM - The cancer of the free Internet: you can buy music in MP3/FLAC…etc format without DRM, which means you truly own it (you can copy and back it up to devices, etc.). I miss this with movies.

1 Like

OT: MP3 sucks slightly less then DRM😡.

any news on how to try the new ESR 91 on 32bit devices?

I installed and tried ESR91 on Xperia 10 IV with SFOS 4.6.0.15. Comparison of ESR91 on Xperia 10 IV and ESR78 on Xperia 10 III (both with SFOS 4.6.0.15).
ESR91:

• in general, it is faster and almost everything works,
  • app home automation Home Assistant works better and faster,
  • when quickly scrolling up and down regular pages (news), the movement is slightly jerky,
  • I haven’t been able to add other search engines yet (Apps from Storeman don’t work on 10 IV and I don’t know where the configuration files are).

A job well done, thanks.

EDIT: I added the search engine manually

3 Likes

I can confirm this working too, but is there a more complete solution?

https://sahko.tk/ is one that doesn’t look right.

https://lobste.rs/ looks different between default and desktop modes, but not by a lot, nor is neither really usable.

Props for getting https://vault.bitwarden.com/ to work! That’s the reason I’m doing this, though if it breaks more sites, I may have to sadly revert :frowning:

Oh, and, launching from the icon no longer works. It tries and disappears.

Tried what zypper dup may have to say in the matter… What’s with the downgrades?

The following 14 packages are going to be upgraded:
embedlite-components-qt5 harbour-clipper
harbour-matkakortti harbour-owncloud-daemon
harbour-qrclip harbour-simplecrop
mapplauncherd-booster-browser openrepos-mybackup
qtmozembed-qt5 sailfish-browser
sailfish-browser-settings
sailfish-components-webview-qt5
sailfish-components-webview-qt5-pickers
sailfish-components-webview-qt5-popups

The following 3 packages are going to be downgraded:
harbour-whisperfish xulrunner-qt5 xulrunner-qt5-misc

The following package is going to be reinstalled:
jolla-developer-mode

The following 16 packages are going to change vendor:
embedlite-components-qt5                  -> meego
harbour-clipper                           -> chum
harbour-matkakortti                       -> chum
harbour-owncloud-daemon                   -> chum
harbour-qrclip                            -> chum
harbour-simplecrop                        -> chum
mapplauncherd-booster-browser             -> meego
openrepos-mybackup                        -> chum
qtmozembed-qt5                            -> meego
sailfish-browser                          -> meego
sailfish-browser-settings                 -> meego
sailfish-components-webview-qt5           -> meego
sailfish-components-webview-qt5-pickers   -> meego
sailfish-components-webview-qt5-popups    -> meego
xulrunner-qt5                             -> meego
xulrunner-qt5-misc                        -> meego

14 packages to upgrade, 3 to downgrade, 1 to reinstall,
16  to change vendor.

I’m not entirely sure of the logic, but package management seems to prefer repository-sourced packages over manually installed ones. In this case xulrunner* gets installed from the repositories to fix that condition, and that effectively downgrades the version from 91 back to 78.

Now that I think about it again, I think you should remove the xulrunner symlink (step 7. in the install instructions) before updating, upgrade, install esr91 again and put the symlink back. Without that Email couldn’t show any content of any mail.

1 Like

I don’t really need the dup, as it seems @flypig 's xulrunner is correct. The other apps are easy enough to upgrade alone, and no way I’m downgrading Whisperfish.

Or is there reason to believe the aforementioned sites that don’t render correctly will be improved (with and/or despite the UA hack) by this?

You can safely let Whisperfish downgrade, or even uninstall it. Just install the correct version back before starting it again.

The .15 update doesn’t change the way Browser displays web pages, that’s entirely up to the Gecko version (esr78 vs. esr91).

However, .15 contains the libhybris fix, which fixed WebView crashes, so there is a reason to update to it for esr91. (Among other fixes it brings.)

Makes me think a release channel for this would be nice :wink:

Thanks for the tip, I’ll upgrade that way if I experience crashes that are too much, but right now I’ll live with the jankiness, check randomly for updates, and see why duck.com is nowhere to be found for the search engines…

1 Like

Sorry for not highlighting this earlier (my upgrade hasn’t come through yet) but for anyone upgrading to 4.6.0.15, I strongly recommend removing ESR 91 before upgrading, following the steps in the “Restore ESR 78” instructions. In particular, as @direc85 highlights, you should remove the symlink and restore your ESR 78 profile directory.

I’m pleased to see that Jolla has included some libhybris changes in 4.6.0.15 that will help avoid some types of browser crash, so if you reinstall ESR 91 again after the upgrade you should get a better experience.

9 Likes

Of course, it’s a good idea to revert significant system changes before upgrading the OS.
As I expected ESR 91 to part of the new image, I neglected that. Update went smoothly, anyways.

Mine’s a fresh 10iv; dodged a potential bullet despite the success reports :wink:

No crashes as of yet, unless at the very beginning after the upgrade. Can’t remember. Had to reboot the icon to work. Whatever.

The only functional issue, I think, is that duck.com isn’t a search engine option.

The rendering issues seem to be a completely different topic, and I’m sure whatever zypper dup complains about is manually ignorable and anyway temporary.

Nice work on this!