Gecko esr91 work (former "Flypig's gecko dev diary")

But for the moment we could use @cypherpunks re-uploaded package, right

1 Like

Thanks for all the helpful feedback from everyone on this. @rainemak is correct, the backtrace seems to relate to the hybris changes. There was an additional issue where a recent change broke the preference handling which I’ve now fixed. I’ve uploaded new packages which should now prevent the crash at start up, but which also have the user agent and TLS fixes integrated.

5 Likes

Thanks so much! Browser starts again, sites that used to display desktop mode are showing mobile websites again (e.g. wetteronline.de)…
Great, it feels much better than any Android browser I tried in the meantime!

4 Likes

This is great to hear and thanks for testing it so quickly @jauri.gagarin.II. This really highlights how important it is to have people actually using and testing the browser.

3 Likes

I have noticed one side-effect of the update: I used to have the “Browser History Swipes [fork]” installed. It is noted to be compatible up to SFOS 4.4, but it used to work on 4.6 until the latest update of esr91.

After the update it disappeared in the UI and I can’t re-activate it. I think this is more a topic for the creator of the patch, but I leave a note here, too.

1 Like

Is this to be taken out with the updated version of the browser? Or has it been overwritten by the new version (unlikely)

1 Like

I had a quick skim of the patch and see that it only changes two files: PopUpMenuFooter.qml and ToolBar.qml, neither of which seem to have had any changes to them, so I’m not sure why this would have been affected. I’d definitely say this is one for @Kuba77 though.

In the instructions I recommend deleting the prefs.js file before the upgrade. This particular preference should now be redundant.

3 Likes

Is there a complete ready-to-run beta aarch64.rpm-build, which take care of removing all the ESR78-Stuff like mentioned in the blog?

For me the site of my smart home autoation system is nit working correctly.
It’s secured by authentication but the auth window does not pop up.

There is no error on client side.
With other browsers this site is working correctly.

Regarding the update of the Jolla browser to ESR91, I have an idea: the control of media content via MPRIS, for example, on YouTube in playlists. I often use this feature at work on my Linux desktop workstation to play and control YouTube song playlists while wearing Bluetooth in-ear headphones and doing my work in the workshop. I miss this feature painfully on SailfishOS.

3 Likes

I upvote this!
20chars