GCC update from GCC 8

REPRODUCIBILITY: Always
OS VERSION: 4.5.x
HARDWARE: NA
UI LANGUAGE: NA
REGRESSION: NA

DESCRIPTION:

Filing it as a bug report for enabling tracking.

We are currently on GCC 8 series, which is good, but starts to show the age. I would like to ask Jolla to consider updating the compiler in future releases.

From notable software that would already be hit by GCC version, I could bring Qt 6 as an example. As we found the to update Qt in parallel to the system one, Qt 6 is not out of the question. I am sure there are other software packages that maybe of interest and could be limited by GCC 8 either already now or in near future. So, it makes sense to work on it.

10 Likes

Exactly. Current compiler support most of the c++17 features. It is great. It was big step from c++14. But today, we have c++20 already and c++23 as final draft.

It would be great to have ability to fully use c++20 features.

2 Likes

I tried compiling gcc with the same flags gcc got compiled, but somewhere happened an error during compilation i couldn’t resolve

You can typically install several (major) versions gcc in parallel and then specify the newer version in your spec file. So it’s not like you would need to rebuild all of sfos at once.

That being said, the gcc spec file in sfos is huge … really huge … And there probably are reasons for most of the verbose lines and hacks there. But still I think someone with too much free time could give it a try

or copy from Fedora?

1 Like

It makes sense to keep OS toolchain current and not get stuck on ageing solution. Hence the request.

The coming release of MDP (v0.24) also requires C++20, so soon I won’t be able to compile this anymore.
And while we are at it, python 3.8 is also showing its age, so we can’t profit from new features and performance improvements made in more recent versions.

Off topic, but I’m really, really happy I have some embedded programming to do where C99 will do just nicely :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s not just for new C/C++ code standards but also new cpu cores. GCC 12 has added some compile option support for Cortex-A510, Cortex-A710 and Cortex-X2. Those cores are found on Xperia 1 IV and Xperia 5 IV.

@pherjung: how can we get that issue to be tracked by Jolla? Would be nice to get this update request tracked.

This is not a bug report, but a feature request, so moved to feature requests.

Even though we don’t generally track feature requests, you can consider this one tracked though - I created a linked item in our internal tracker.

7 Likes

Qt 6 should still compile on GCC 8 ? At least considering that Qt in general is especially oriented towards embedded (notoriously not a “bleeding edge” world when it comes to compilers).
I mean, there are definitely better other reasons to upgrade GCC (than Qt, that is) :slight_smile:

Not according to Supported Platforms | Qt 6.5 / under Linux X11. Whether Linux X11 applies to us or its very different for Linux Wayland, I don’t know. In addition, Qt WebEngine could have even further restrictions, as specified on that page.

1 Like

I guess as Ubuntu is bundled in the same “category” (with Mir being wayland?), this yes does make sense (to include lipstick into it).
Funny thing, compared from the Qt5 support page, it seems the “Generic linux” entry has been dropped from the Qt 6.5 one…

To Jolla: any update on this? Is it taken into the works or not yet?

2 Likes

Seems to be in the works - see latest newsletter.

4 Likes

Right, missed that one with description of @mal’s work (Sailfish Community News, 14th December, Nix)

2 Likes

We are working on it.

9 Likes

@mal do you track your progress somewhere? Are there some packages we can help with?

3 Likes

Everything builds with gcc 10 but there is a runtime issue with systemd when it has been built using gcc 10 which still need to be fixed.

8 Likes

Bugref?
10characters