Future of Storeman

I think it would be more suitable to have organization for multiple apps, not just storeman :wink:

sailfish-community-apps or something. These things just keep popping up and it’s easier to find help if more people are under same organization.

2 Likes

Seemed like the best solution for me too. Mainly because some devs just might want to leave their apps because they don’t want to maintain them anymore. It would be nice if one group can take over. Possibly by having deployment keys etc which can be transferred easily (non-personal accounts in store / openrepos).

Sorry, no: I do care about Storeman, because it is a piece of “critical software infrastructure for SailfishOS”, but not about arbitrary, abandoned apps.

If you want to start such an initiative for arbitrary, abandoned apps, go ahead. Long lists of abandoned apps exist at TJC and the list of non-64bit apps here at FSO is basically also one.

OTOH it might turn out to be more future-proof to help and contribute to the SailfishOS:Chum initiative with your urge to care for abandoned software, see https://github.com/sailfishos-chum/main#submitting-abandoned-software

4 Likes

I don’t know. Creating own organisation does not make sense to me. I think putting it under chum would have been fine.

Community scarce enough.

It would seem better to do both? Having such an organization on github, and requiring repos to auto-publish to chum?

If you read the link that @olf posted you’d find, this is the idea:

The request will be evaluated and a fork of the software into the GitHub organisation sailfishos-chum might be created.

For my part, I’ve done a number of forks to get stuff into chum and can imagine putting them into that context. SailConnect4 and other @LouJo projects are among the ones I’m on.

3 Likes

I can also always use help maintaining: Apps that haven't been ported to aarch64

It’s a wiki.

1 Like

I would appreciate much if someone tests Storeman Installer v1.2.2 on SFOS 4.4.0 and / or SFOS 4.3.0 or 4.2.0. Edit: Testing has finished successfully.

1. Remove (“uninstall”) Storeman: pkcon remove harbour-storeman
    or long-press on the Storeman icon at the launcher and acknowledge its removal.
  2. Download Storeman Installer 1.2.2 from GitHub, Chum testing or the Storeman OBS repository.
    Alternatively download and install with the SailfishOS:Chum GUI app from the SailfishOS:Chum testing repository; on SFOS 4.4.0 you have to set the SFOS release manually to 4.3.0.15 in the SailfishOS:Chum GUI app’s settings.
  3. Install Storeman Installer 1.2.2: pkcon install-local harbour-storeman-installer-1.2.2….rpm or at the GUI via “Settings → Storage → User data → (pull down) File manager → Tap on the downloaded rpm file" (the GUI way needs “Settings → Untrusted software” enabled).
  4. Check if it downloads and installs Storeman successfully.
  5. If not, download Storeman from GitHub, Chum testing or the Storeman OBS repository.
    Then install it: pkcon install-local harbour-storeman-….rpm or at the GUI via “Settings → Storage → User data → (pull down) File manager → Tap on the downloaded rpm file" (the GUI way needs “Settings → Untrusted software” enabled).

Please report your experience here or file an issue report at GitHub.

2 Likes

Harbour-storeman-installer fails with not being able to find any available packages.
Same result if i run pkcon repo-set-data harbour-storeman-obs refresh-now true && pkcon install -y harbour-storeman (naturally).

How/where would it have gotten the repo configured? (Maybe i can help debug?)
I did start with uninstalling from having Storeman installed though if that could theoretically mess with things.

And some feedback for your point 3/5 - no need to hassle with terminal or file browsers, just go to transfers/downloads, or use the notification.

Storeman itself works fine though.

Could not directly download from Github from (devel-su) shell on XA2+ with curl. file harbour-storeman-installer-1.2.2-1.noarch.rpm says

harbour-storeman-installer-1.2.2-1.noarch.rpm: HTML document, ASCII text, with very long lines, with no line terminators
Indeed the resulting file was an HTML-File, so I downloaded it on the PC and scped it to the phone.

Installation was straight forward but starting from GUI caused the spinning circle that eventually stopped.
From the shell I get this error:

/usr/bin/invoker -s --type=generic  /usr/bin/sailjail /usr/bin/harbour-storeman-installer 
../daemon/sailjailclient.c:1324: sailjailclient_binary_check(): E: /usr/bin/harbour-storeman-installer: is not elf binary: No such file or directory

and

/usr/bin/invoker -s --type=generic  /usr/bin/harbour-storeman-installer 
Error creating textual authentication agent: Error opening current controlling terminal for the process (`/dev/tty'): No such device or address (polkit-error-quark, 0)
Setting data                                                                                                                                                                                                     
Querying                                                                                                                                                                                                         
Refreshing software list                                                                                                                                                                                         
Finished                                                                                                                                                                                                        
Error creating textual authentication agent: Error opening current controlling terminal for the process (`/dev/tty'): No such device or address (polkit-error-quark, 0)
Resolving                                                                                                                            [                                                                 ] (0%)  Package not found: harbour-storeman
Command failed: This tool could not find any available package: No packages were found
invoker: warning: application (pid=-1) exit(4) signal(0)

Here: https://github.com/storeman-developers/harbour-storeman-installer/blob/master/rpm/harbour-storeman-installer.spec#L73

An ssu lr | fgrep storeman-obs should show this repo being configured; after Storeman Installer’s installation and again after Storeman’s installation.

The OBS-repo is here: Show home:olf:harbour-storeman - SailfishOS Open Build Service
Its download directories at Index of /obs/home:/olf:/harbour-storeman

For me (sfos 4.4, aarch64) it only works after install chum AND manually setting the release to 4.3.0.15. I only quite don’t get the point in what is the advantage to install storeman directly?

I uninstalled Storeman and installed Storeman-Installer from SailfishOS:Chum testing repository. Once Storeman installer has been installed, I clicked on the icon and it installed correctly Storeman.

I could open Storeman, but there was no permission asked. Once I open Storeman, it refreshed all repositories. Only one went wrong, but I think it was because of my Internet connection. There was an update for Battery Buddy that wasn’t suggested. I had to refresh manually.

ssu lr | fgrep storeman-obs yelds:
harbour-storeman-obs ... https://repo.sailfishos.org/obs/home:/olf:/harbour-storeman/4.4.0.58_aarch64/
…which is not accessible, and indeed missing from here:
https://repo.sailfishos.org/obs/home:/olf:/harbour-storeman/

Thank you.
The invoker is wrong, it should be set to
X-Nemo-Application-Type=silica-qt5 in the first section [Desktop Entry] of the .desktop file in /usr/share/applications/harbour-storeman-installer.desktop.
Edit: BS, the Storeman Installer is not a Silica-Qt5 app.

Can you please manually add this line and check if it works then?

Also please name the SFOS release you are using on your XA2+.

P.S.: Use curl -L, see its man-page.

Yes, it does not and cannot exist, as long Jolla does not provide the “download on demand (DoD)” rpm-md repositories for SFOS 4.4.0.
Sorry, my bad, I should have separated the request for SFOS < 4.4.0 and = 4.4.0. Only the SailfishOS:Chum GUI app lets you “cheat” easily and mimic 4.3.0.15 (or an ssu re 4.3.0.15, but you should pay much attention not to install any RPMs from Jolla’s repos before you return to the correct setting with ssu re 4.4.0.58).

1 Like

Sounds good!
That was on which SFOS release?

For me, storeman hang on “initialisiere” when started from the icon but works fine when started from the command line.

That is basically as expected, but what is “it”? Storeman Installer or Storeman?

I only quite don’t get the point in what is the advantage to install storeman directly?

To avoid the Storeman Installer, which exist for people who do neither use SailfishOS:Chum GUI app or the command line.
But as there are may of them, the Storeman Installer should work.

4.4.0.58 (prout, test 20 chars)