Forum censorship - The Issue

@marcelpol
Bruno and many others were burned alive for speaking the truth. And no - it is not being made bigger than it is. I do not see why I should buy a second device to do testing before I update my daily driver.
The truth is that the OS is buggy and I once again ask Jolla to stop releasing buggy versions.
ATM on the 10 II the network is not working properly when some Android apps are running. I mean the network connection suddenly disappears. I will confirm this with other router. But forget this, did I mention bluetooth?
I do not know what else you want to hear.
I fully understand the complexity of use cases behind the scene and I am patient and thankful to Jolla for doing this great work. My problem is with their Nokia legacy in the mentality.
I hope you get it.

2 Likes

@olf
I’m using SF from this relases as daily driver, so it’s not true “totally buggy OS”. There is some problems and unfinished functions and no one regret that.
Emotional expressions are not suitable on technical forum because topics are extremely long and from user POV i need waste time for reading this.

2 Likes

There’s a bunch of people using a totally unusable OS happily as a daily driver.

And maybe there are others who have a certain attitude towards strong words.

1 Like

Unfortunately, some of them have very pink tinted glasses on.

[Edit - 14.10.21]
I did not delete my post…?!

4 Likes

“Totally buggy OS”
“Best, most developed OS”

Both aren’t true.

2 Likes

It is language and as human one should tolerate others opinion and way of expression.
We are not discussing laws and formulae on nuclear physics forum.
And the worst of all is that the focus shifted from what was said to how it was said.
Now energy is burned not on the what but on the how

1 Like

If you say things different from what they are or what you mean, you will get confusion :slight_smile:
There are many people reading along here, clarity is better to get something across. We have many different people here from different cultures and backgrounds, you might understand that :wink:
Adding confusion almost on purpose will get confusing conversations that cost a lot of energy for the readers and a lot of conversation time to get things cleared up. Blaming the reader does not help here.

1 Like

As I tried to explain thoroughly, no one is in the position to state that with absolute validity! Side note: And “no one” excludes you from doing so and that statement to be valid, too.
Doing that exactly is a totalitarian position / perspective.

If you want that, you first must become employed at the Ministry of Truth (in 1984). :wink:

2 Likes

Are you absolutely sure that it was not you who did the “(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)” on 2021-10-13 or 2021-10-14?

Please mind that this is a critical accusation, because AFAICS only the owner of a post and moderators / “leaders” can do that (i.e., only 38 people who are all “appointed by staff”).
And judging by its content, I cannot see why one would want that post to be deleted.

Well, I didn’t deliberately delete my post.
I was a bit surprised when I read “post withdrawn by author…”.
I don’t want to suspect anyone either.
The longer I think about how this could have happened, I come to the realization that the forum software could have played a trick on me here.
Click on the three dots to open the extended menu. If you click again with the intention of closing the menu again, you inevitably click on the trash.

Coming back to this one.

It looks there may be no “forum police” but at least some “crime scene cleaner” did it’s work?
E.g my (and other people’s post(s)) are gone for good now?
If you want to check see within this topic @SteveEverett 's post which links and quotes my one, which now seems to be deleted.

NOW I feel censored!

4 Likes

Yes, many posts in the original thread are gone, apparently all the messages which were in “hidden state” before.
And the links to the deleted posts have become rewritten to point to the base thread!
<sarcasm>This is censorship is properly done: Remove any evidence that the censored content ever existed.</sarcasm>

Now this has become really bad:
Contrary to the repeated statements by some sailors that no censorship occurs, it is clear now the this is untrue!
And modelling “it is just community people doing some flagging” was apparently untrue, too.

Now I do agree with @Steve_Everett that this shall be escalated to Jolla’s management, in order to stop these evil actions and save this forum from fully turning into “1984”.

4 Likes

@vige,

1. can you please restore the deleted posts in the original thread.
  2. do you understand what happened?
1 Like

I’m not sure. If you can be a bit more specific: Which posts exactly, and why do you think those should be restored? More specifically: what exactly has changed so that they no longer violate our rules (see FAQ - Sailfish OS Forum). The post which I could find by following the hints above (i.e the one written by @peterleinchen) was originally flagged as being off-topic. The way I see it, it still is off-topic - the post did contain one word about “total buggy os xperia 10 plus”.

Not entirely. My guess is that after some time it becomes impossible for regular users to view the hidden posts. At least I could see the post I mentioned above, so it wasn’t entirely removed from the database.

Can you please be specific what you are not sure about?
a. “Not sure” if you technically are able to restore these posts.
b. “Not sure” if you want to restore these posts.

If you can be a bit more specific: Which posts exactly,

All the ones which have bee flagged, were in “hidden” state and now are in “vanished” state (at least for regular forum users).
(It must be about 10 messages which are affected.)

and why do you think those should be restored?

a. Because this way the flagging process is indeed results in opinions being suppressed (i.e., censorship).
b. Much of that thread does not make any sense without these posts as context.

More specifically: what exactly has changed so that they no longer violate our rules (see FAQ - Sailfish OS Forum ).

Can you please describe in exactly which way you think they violated these rules?
And how this violation warrants a censoring them.

The post which I could find by following the hints above (i.e the one written by @peterleinchen) was originally flagged as being off-topic. The way I see it, it still is off-topic - the post did contain one word about “total buggy os xperia 10 plus”.

The FAQ names “bad behavior” as a reason for flagging, nothing else.

Well Jolla runs and configures this forum software, hence is responsible for what it is doing.

Jolla states “Foster freedom. We do not believe in walled gardens, we prefer the open sea. We want our products and services to free you to express yourself as you see fit, not lock you down to a view of the world imposed on you by us.”.
But this forum software configuration fosters suppression of opinions, hidden trolling and abuse (as discussed in that thread, specifically some of the now vanished messages)!

4 Likes

Both.

They were off-topic. The fact that the authors of those posts kept writing the off-topic posts clearly annoyed other forum members, otherwise they wouldn’t have flagged them. Removing posts which violate our rules hardly counts as censorship.

Please read the FAQ again, and try to understand the message there. The second chapter already states “Please treat this discussion forum with the same respect you would a public park. We, too, are a shared community resource — a place to share skills, knowledge and interests through ongoing conversation.”

You are free to share your opinions here. You are doing it right now. However, when people are discussing things, it’s not good behaviour to go and shout your opinions about off-topic matters in the middle of the discussions. Each thread in this forum is about a single topic.

Let me repeat this: The topic which included those hidden posts was about bugs in Xperia 10 II. Those hidden posts were not about that topic. You are free to repeat those posts in threads which are relevant to them.

3 Likes

@vige @vige1 I know you have relation to Jolla, if I am not completely mistaken.

Another experiment: when a topic is in slow mode and your post is flagged and you get a notification to edit the post, you actually can not edit the post.

1 Like

:open_mouth: Now that’s surprising. I can understand why that is though - editing posts could be used for bypassing the slow mode.

One option of course would be to consider already when writing the post, whether it will be considered offensive, off-topic or spam by others.

Now why are you flagging my post, because I use a word that you don’t like.

Whoever did it, you lack completely a sense of humor!

J., now I know how it goes in China.

1 Like

This sounds like a: “The only winning move is not to play (post a message).” situation…
And it is bad for everyone.

Even the ones who do not play / post a message.

2 Likes