Flightstat/flight tracker app or similar?

Hello,

Somebody know if there is an app like flightstats or similar that I don’t need to run the web of flightstats from the phone?

I flight more that what I would like, and is usefull to get a native app more or less fast to track the flight for today.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Why not just use a website? What does an app do better?

Those websites are really suck slow on the browser we have. One of the reasons I would like to finally use the QML/OSM geoservice plugin is exactly this kind of use case. It’s much, much faster and consumes less resources. A ‘faux’ flight tracker is one of the demo apps among the original demos from QT. Maybe a good idea for the QT 5.15 stack on chum?

3 Likes

@attah as poetaster said, they are amaizingly slow in the sailfish os.

@poetaster My first idea is the basic one, to have only arrival time and departure (real and programmed) I’ve got too many project right now, but maybe I can search and investigate if there is no other app like that. (also, because the first problem is getting the data)

If somebody wishes to help, will be good received.

I would like to have flight simulation like x-plane on android support

I’d be happy to work on it. I’m also a bit busy at the moment, but in a week or two I could also snoop around.!

There’s OpenSky REST API — The OpenSky Network API 1.4.0 documentation which could be useful for a flight tracker (if you have a lagacy here maps key would be pretty trivial to display that on a map, without one … pain), but not sure about “arrival time and departure”, that’s something you’d need to pull from each and every airport, doubt there is one central source of arrival/delay times for every airport on earth
edit: actually there is GET /flights/arrival and GET /flights/departure so maybe could work

Yar. I had hoped that https://openflights.org would have schedules, but they do not. But opensky does have aircraft data that would let you approximate that to realtime. Thanks!

Hmmm. Sharing ADS-B data with Add ADS-B coverage - The world's largest ADS-B network | Flightradar24 will get you a free business use license. That might be a way to go!

1 Like

Open Sky, I already take a look at that some weeks ago, the problem (At least for me) is that I don’t see how to search a flight by flight code (ex.: VY1234 or LH5432) I didn’t find any doc.

I don’t know about openflights too much. (Seems they provide a server for do that, right?)

Flightradar24, has any API?

I was looking also to the flightstats, But api spec is paid!

It relies on icao24 code and doesn’t seem to have a way to get the flight code from it, maybe Flight Tracker API (Flight Radar API): Get Real-time Flight Data API by AirLabs this api can be used to grab it (has 0$ tier with 1k limit)

Yes, I already took a look at airlabs. Seems it can be used to pick up full info of the flight:

https://airlabs.co/api/v9/flight?api_key=<key>&flight_iata=vy1812

I’ll take a look at airlabs.co. Flightradar offers tracking hardware for free and a free business license if you contribute to the data. AND you can also contribute to opensky. So, I’ve applied. I live fairly close the Berlin Airport, although we don’t get that much overhead traffic. Let’s see. If they don’t send me the hardware, I can still set up my own and get access.

I’ve “accidentally” created one of these flight trackers when building my boiler controller a few years ago.* :grin:
All you need is a raspberry-pi (or clone) plus a £15 SDR dongle.

*After entering the wrong frequency range I’ve been surprised by the decoding software suddenly spewing out plane speeds and positions instead of my sensor data.

1 Like

So now your boiler contributes to the opensky initiative. That’s what I call automation!

I had thought about building one, but they’ll send you enough cable (antenna on the roof, 15+ meters) so, if I qualify, what the heck!

Hello,

This afternoon I loose a little bit of time with qml, and javascript… and I’ve got this: (data requested to airlabs)

And I think there is enough information on one request of airlabs to have a fist MVP with good information.

I hope you like it, next week I don’t expect to have time to work on it. (I will like to have a list of favorites and similar stuff)

3 Likes

hi everybody,

The project is here available: Jaume / Flight Tracker Slx · GitLab

Feel free to propose features or colaborate on it. Currently you can configurate the api-key of airlabs and request data of a flight, you need the full flight code. Also it saves the last two flight codes.

1 Like

Nice!

You could try to use

for the UI :wink:

1 Like

Evil, but, if as I, you grew up flying in the 1970s and 1980s, that interface really does bring back memories. Ah, getting lost on my first arrival, solo, age 13 in Frankfurt …

How did you manage to land on your designated runway after that?