Feedback on Jolla C2

Agreed, but I’ve already reached the point where I no longer care about the bugs, only because half of it does not affect me directly. I use my PC more than I do my phone because I’m an old git with failing eyesight and my PC does not crash and freeze like my phone/its software does which is a load of old hairy dangly things ultimately.

1 Like

For android

Wild guess, maybe the paid feature are not enabled yet ? You could check if the service is running with the terminal (you need to enable developer mode)

Jolla did expect postal service to be this fast :stuck_out_tongue:

For the brightness, I think it’s intentional. Could probably be fixed with patch manager.

You can directly download F-droid from https://f-droid.org/
You will find Aurora store in the F-droid repositories

4 Likes

Yep can confirm installing f-droid directly from…well f-droid, instead of via the native prompts during Android App Support setup, did work. Same went for Aurora Store. Thanks for the tip!

3 Likes

No it doesn’t. This is not intended. With automatic on you can select a coarse brightness that adapts to the environment (works really bad, sensor hardware issue at X10, others I don’t know) and with automatic off you have full manual control about the brightness.

Great to see some devices already being received! Let’s go through some comments:

I tested with my 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks and my C2 works fine with them. Having said that, you could try enabling and disabling WLAN in the top menu. If that doesn’t help, try restarting your C2.

This is sadly an issue that has been caused independently by a few different reasons. It also seems that some users don’t hit this, others do (I didn’t, for example). Rebooting the C2 after the welcome wizard is indeed the recommended workaround at this point.

As already discovered below, this should only affect applications installed from Jolla Store. However, there are two other bugs related to installing Android applications as well. These bugs will be fixed in the next release.

There are two different things to note here:

• Adjusting the slider is not supposed to disable automatic brightness. The slider works in conjunction with the ambient light sensor to determine the resulting brightness.
  • The slider not having any effect can result from the ambient light sensor of C2 getting stuck. This is a known issue. The workaround to this is either disabling the automatic brightness adjustment, or rebooting the device.

There’s also one new known issue:

When booting up C2, the touch panel sometimes does not work in the first device unlock screen. This leads to the user not being able to enter the PIN code. The workaround to this is to shut down the device with the power key and start it up again.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Keep posting any issues you find!

18 Likes

I am curious, is the UI any different from the latest 4.5.x release?

2 Likes

Yes, final fixes come with 5.0 early access release. Factory image is called 5.0 release candidate zero.

12 Likes

I can make calls but not receive calls on my C2 and I can receive messages but not send them. Elisa/Saunalahti

2 Likes

Please disable 4g in mobile network settings to make calls work correctly. VoLTE support is not yet included in the current release candidate.

8 Likes

I can confirm the same (C2, 4G, Moi/DNA). Make calls and receive SMS, but not receive calls and send SMSes.

And noted @mal, hopefully in a forthcoming RC so those of us that got it early to do the 4G testing can…well…do more of it? :grin:

2 Likes

I hope you’ll write more about it in the forthcoming news.

1 Like

How is the camera working? Is the “delayed” focus problem solved? Can you change through the cameras?

1 Like

A few considerations;

• Android app support doesn’t seem to support mobile network at the moment?
  • Often, after using Android apps, the pulley menu of native apps freezes and the entire app freezes. Ringtones and notification sounds are also muted. A reboot helps
  • I can’t enable “System spoofs signature” and “Play services (GmsCore) has correct signature” in the MicroG settings, even though I have disabled “System package verification” in the App Support settings.

Just out of curiosity, if something goes wrong, how do I reset the phone to factory settings? there is no such setting and no option to flash the phone again at this time.

1 Like

I can confirm the first two issues as you. I have also noticed that basically every one of the Android apps I have tried, whether that’s Aurora, Proton Pass, Proton Mail, Home Assistant, etc. pretty much have more downtime than uptime (that is to say, they crash a lot and the Android AppSupport is regularly restarting). Have you experienced the same instability or how has it been for you?

When I read about all these problems, my hope that the C2 could be a well-rounded thing like previous Jolla smartphones fades.

Until now, I was convinced that most hickups of my Xperias were due to bugs in the Sony AOSP and there was nothing Jolla could do about it. Now we have new hardware without binary blob limitations, together with a customized Sailfish release, but such a long list of serious issues seems too familiar.

Or do I miss something?

1 Like

It’s a fine phone. The software version is “5.0 release candidate zero”. It is likely that future updates will fix many of the problems that exist now.

4 Likes

Maybe that it is kind of beta? An upgrade is coming soon™.

5 Likes

Yes, I have also noticed that App Support crashes from time to time. A coming update will probably fix this as well.