eSIM and Sailfish OS

Two built-in eSIM capable (and single physical SIM) devices will be usable with Sailfish OS pretty soon:

• Xperia 10 IV SIM+uSD+eSIM (XQ-CC54)
  • Xperia 10 V SIM+uSD+eSIM (XQ-DC54)

Does anyone know what are the plans of Jollyboys about the implementation of eSIM within Sailfish OS?

Let’s take the simplest use case - when traveling outside EU in far-away lands, usually the cheapest and fastest way to get local data and voice services is to use eSIM. And that would need support from Sailfish OS, e.g. to point all those services to eSIM.

Of course one can always use service like esim.me or 5ber, but that needs an Android device for initial configuration (since the eSIM is physically removable, this approach has privacy benefits). Since said two devices have single physical SIM slot, then these “removable eSIM-card” services are somewhat less usable for them.

3 Likes

I have asked for eSIM support in one of the community meetings, a few weeks back; it needs quite a bit of work on SFOS side. The main reason for my question is that I am using a dual SIM 10 III now and if eSIM is not supported, I need to source the asian version of 10 IV/V in order to have 2 physical SIMs. Given the recent announcements I will wait for the release to clarify if versions 10V XQ-DC72 or 10IV XQ-CC72 are supported. If not I will need to stick to my 10 III for the mid-term future.

5 Likes