Easily catch logs

Some bug reports aren’t easily reproducible or user mark it as 100% reproducible, but other user aren’t able to reproduce it.

I start this topic to discuss to provide a new tool for the Community Bug Coordination Team, so it become easy to catch all necessary logs to fix the reported bug.

I think this Script/Application should not be such complicated. User give all units as argument and all logs related to the units will be copied in another file the user will then provide to his bug report.

What about to start with a small bash script that will run each day and execute journalctl with the options --unit= and --user-unit= ?

5 Likes

Just to rephrase the requirements: a script which is run manually or as cronjob which collects the logs of given systemd units (or maybe even groups of units) the resulting logs can then be attached to the issue.
right?

Also, I think, it should be able to extract logs from the android container.

Maybe we should start with a wiki which gives hints on which issues correlate to which systemd units. (e.g. Connectivity issues connect to ofono)

Should be run as crontab/systemd timer.

Also, I think, it should be able to extract logs from the android container.

Yes, but later. First we should stay focus on Sailfish.

Maybe we should start with a wiki which gives hints on which issues correlate to which systemd units. (e.g. Connectivity issues connect to ofono)

Let’s open an issue to discuss about it :smiley:

I think this is a great idea. For those users who are not familiar with using, or don’t want to use, a command line would it be possible to develop a very simple GUI for this?

Literally a single page with a series of radio buttons to enable the various logs to be collected and then maybe an ‘export selected logs’ button or pulley menu entry to download them into a text file in the Documents directory that could then be emailed, uploaded or whatever.

Such an app I think would encourage less technically confident Sailfish users (like me) to help more in the diagnostic process.

1 Like

In a future, yes I’d like to see a GUI tool. Let’s see if I get more time in October (if it’s not someone else).

Could be nice to integrate this tool to the CSD Tool.

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: CSD tool info and usage