Deactivate Encryption and Pincode

Hello,

is it possible to deactivate encryption and pincode ?

I dont need that.

Sony Xperia 10 Sailfish OS 4.

No.

Or you would need to flash back with SFOS <=3.2 (not sure if X.10 was supported already? for all X/XA2 this will work) and upgrade via OTA. Only then you might choose not to enable encryption.
Encryption was made obligatory when flashing since 3.3.

But where is the problem?
This is no feature one needs or selects. If the data is encrypted or not does not affect your usage pattern.

Well, itā€™s obviously an overhead. Although on Xperia 10 itā€™s hardly noticeable. Sandboxing is significantly worse in that respect, and that one is much harder to get rid of.

1 Like

There was a threat in this forum how to deactivate ecryption after first start. I suggest using the search function

Hello,

ive searched the forum, but there wasnt any result how to deactivate it. :flushed:

@peterleinchen
I dont want to type the pin every time, i want to take the phone an see whats going on.

Do I understand you right and you are mainly concerned about the devicelock and entering the PIN (or fingerprint!) after having the screen timed out or you locked your phone with power-button press?

Then it is easy:
Settings - Device lock - Automatic locking
and set it to ā€˜Not in useā€™.
Now you will not get asked for your PIN when taking the phone and have a look.
But also everybody elseā€¦

I propose to use the 60min.
For me it was also too less and I tweaked a bit and added another option of 240min (maybe worth a patch at some time?).

While this is not a problem, just a curiosity, I had the chance to test a new xa2, freshly flashed with 3.4, side by side with my identical daily driver with two years of service and many apps. Well, to my surprise my daily driver was faster, not a big deal, like half to one second less to open an app, but it felt snappier. I could only think it was due to encryptionā€¦

The partition apps are installed on is not encrypted. So unless the apps you are comparing read large amounts of data from the home partition encryption should not make a noticeable difference.

2 Likes

Yes this is it. I need my Phone for business and there is no time for doing this. :wink:

Well, my guess was not an educated one :slight_smile: Now, this is a bit off topic, but what could be the reason for it then? I tested only on stock appsā€¦

I fully understand you, I hate these security things myself. And how people canā€™t understand - they are apparently so afraid of everything and rather want to lock there devices into oblivion and unusability and removal of standard easy features.

I canā€™t even find the user files in the managers for moving them to the SD Card - Like what it this garbage.

no time for doing it at start up either, these Procrappers love pushing bullshit we donā€™t want or need. Iā€™m sick and tired of always feeling like hack the planet. And it is everywhere in our time.

now that this has been necroā€™d, this is what i do to prevent encrypt-home, and to use nemo instead of defaultuser:

it uses guestfish and bbe to edit the image before flashing it, and it works on official SFOS images (so far up to 4.5) without any negative side effects that i have experienced. it (probably) only works on linux, but what it does is straightforward enough.

2 Likes

What files are you looking for?

Do I just put it in the SailFish Root folder?

And what is nemo, is that the admin account?

So I should be able to see my files in MiXPlorer and Total Commander after this, correct?

Thanks very much - just sick and tired of the endless workarounds we do in our time to get things as we want it without all sorts of rubbish and excuses from ProCrappers about this and that not listening to the users but in replacement moving with the Devil.
They just steal features from us everywhere, more and more and make it near impossible to get them back. Or make it utter complicated so you need an education or help to do something. It is utter rubbish.

Was looking for my user data - I found it via the File Browser from the Jolla store - but could not find any of the data by searching in MixPlorer or Total Commander.
It seems the data was located in the Run folder, apparently - yet it seems to be incrypted in the 2 other apps as far as I can gather. I hate Linux reallyā€¦ But that is all there is sadly - at least Google is now bypassed on this phone. Iā€™m learning.

no. its a perl script that you can run that will patch the sailfish official image, before you flash it the phone. it requires guestfish and bbe to be installed. i have used it to patch every release since 2022 for XZ2c and 10 III.

nemo is the default username for mer, which is the basis for sailfish. nemo was also the default user on SFOS for years, until they changed it

i dunno what those are or why you cant see your files in them. i understand that you think that encryption of /home may be the problem. this script DOES prevent encryption of /home, and by extension allows you to skip setting a pin for unlock. so: maybe?

1 Like

? SFOS meansā€¦ ahh, SailFishOS Okayā€¦ get it. Brain needed to work.

So what do I exactly do hereā€¦ Do I need to run the scripts and sort out the files img files - I can I just put it in the flash folder and run as usual - some NEWB help is needed here.

All these new bullshit features of forums, and they still canā€™t figure out to automatically cling messages together. Total rubbish.

Awesome, okay, I need to reread what you saidā€¦

What is this: sfos_lvm_raw.img ??? I donā€™t seem to see any file in the folder of that name? I guess it is the generated outcome file.

libguestfs-tools ??? First oneā€¦ needed for install?

Always needing to install something to do something in Gnulix - utter rubbish.

Oh here comes a multitude of other packages needding to be installed to install this 222 MBā€¦

Okay installed: guest disk image management system - tools

The libguestfs library allows accessing and modifying guest disk
images.

This package contains the guestfish interactive shell and various
virtualization tools, including virt-cat, virt-df, virt-edit,
virt-filesystems, virt-inspector, virt-ls, virt-make-fs, virt-rescue,
virt-resize, virt-tar, and virt-win-reg.

Next one I guessā€¦

sed-like editor for binary files

Editor like sed, but for binary files. bbe performs basic byte
operations on blocks of input stream. bbe is a command line tool
developed for Unix systems.

Okay doneā€¦ Soā€¦ I need to run the file I guessā€¦

How to run a perl scriptā€¦ BRB perl script.pl
Ā¤#%Ā¤#%"!#!"%#%&%/(

Arghā€¦ okayā€¦ so far so good. Keep it steadyā€¦ Iā€™m not a Gnulix Nerd for sure. Oh my Windows 2000, my paradise of computing heavens.

darkijah@Crapbar:~/downloads/SailFish/try$ perl flash-image-edit.pl

editing flash.sh to fix supported device product codes

no devices need modifying

creating raw img from sparse img

simg2img sailfish.img001 sfos_lvm_raw.img
Canā€™t exec ā€œsimg2imgā€: No such file or directory at flash-image-edit.pl line 249.
ERROR: ā€œsimg2img sailfish.img001 sfos_lvm_raw.imgā€ failed

Yea as far as I can see the standard file manager does have access but neither Total Commander or MiXplorer can see anything then encrypted files as far as I can gather.

I have no idea what mer isā€¦

Okay I have installed all the things I think I need, but how to I make it patch itā€¦ I put it where the file is, in the installation folder but still get some issues clearly.

Had to install simg2img as wellā€¦

creating sparse img from raw img

mv sailfish.img001 sailfish.img001.bak.1697316095000
img2simg sfos_lvm_raw.img sailfish.img001
rm sfos_lvm_raw.img

updating md5.list

sed -i s/^[0-9a-f]\sflash.sh$/a8bd705c5864a85a491074edc53ed202 flash.sh/ md5.lst
sed -i s/^[0-9a-f]\ssailfish.img001$/73f7f8ad44730c67750db1fec467e349 sailfish.img001/ md5.lst

done

Soā€¦ what nowā€¦

Just need flash the device???.. Seems that might be the case. Well canā€™t really ruin much anyway, so lets try.

Jup, it is - you still need help on this? I got it working on the Xperia 10 3. Although home user is named nemo, but I think that can be sorted out.

1 Like